• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Hasselbeck

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why I said training camp, and not team. I think he has decent arm strength, and he was very productive when he played at Oregon. It's not like we are looking for a long term option here, and in reality, if Wilson does go down, the Hawks are screwed.

Don't agree with that. If that was true Seahawks may as well just sign a undrafted free agent QB every year, or better yet don't even have a true backup, guys like Kam and others were QBs at one time, so if Wilson goes down just plug one of them in at QB.:eek:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even at minimum salary, the cap hit for a player with as many years as Hass has is high. This is an area that we can save some cap dollars by going with someone with less years on his resume.
The cap hit would be mitigated by the vet minimum salary benefit rule if it's a 1 year deal though. He could sign a contract for a million bucks, as an example, and the cap hit would only be around $600k plus signing bonus.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't agree with that. If that was true Seahawks may as well just sign a undrafted free agent QB every year, or better yet don't even have a true backup, guys like Kam and others were QBs at one time, so if Wilson goes down just plug one of them in at QB.:eek:
Well, I guess the other side of that argument is we DID just give him a contract worth $20M a year for some reason. Unless he isn't worth that much money, there's a substantial drop-off from him to any backup we would have on the team.

To me, and maybe i'm in the minority here, the perfect backup is someone who can come in for brief periods of time at a moment's notice and keep the boat afloat. Not expected to win games but also not lose them. Most of the time that guy is someone who has experience in the league and not a rookie or a street free agent project. Those guys are fun to talk about, but I think they're best suited for practice squad. Just my opinion, but that's why I like backups such as TJax or Hasselbeck.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess the other side of that argument is we DID just give him a contract worth $20M a year for some reason. Unless he isn't worth that much money, there's a substantial drop-off from him to any backup we would have on the team.

To me, and maybe i'm in the minority here, the perfect backup is someone who can come in for brief periods of time at a moment's notice and keep the boat afloat. Not expected to win games but also not lose them. Most of the time that guy is someone who has experience in the league and not a rookie or a street free agent project. Those guys are fun to talk about, but I think they're best suited for practice squad. Just my opinion, but that's why I like backups such as TJax or Hasselbeck.

I don't think your in the minority, most would agree with you. Think the fact that RW hasn't missed any games makes it tempting for some to save the money and/or take a chance on a rookie and perhaps find a gem.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think your in the minority, most would agree with you. Think the fact that RW hasn't missed any games makes it tempting for some to save the money and/or take a chance on a rookie and perhaps find a gem.

Unless RW goes down for a long period of time, there won't be a good enough sample size to see if the FO found a another gem QB. I'd rather see them spend the pick on depth and just sign a vet QB at the min price.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless RW goes down for a long period of time, there won't be a good enough sample size to see if the FO found a another gem QB. I'd rather see them spend the pick on depth and just sign a vet QB at the min price.
I wish they still had BJ Daniels on the roster, who knows, the off season just started maybe the Texans release him. Got no problem with T. Jak being the back up except it's a short term solution and a bit pricey for a aging backup.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish they still had BJ Daniels on the roster, who knows, the off season just started maybe the Texans release him. Got no problem with T. Jak being the back up except it's a short term solution and a bit pricey for a aging backup.

i Agree with you about BJ Daniels. I never liked the idea of him being a WR only because he was the PERFECT back-up to Wilson. If you set up the offense around Wilsons skillset you do not have to change a damn thing for Daniels if Wilson got hurt.

I hope the Texans do release him because the Hawks will scoop him up in a heart beat.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understood the idea of BJ Daniels at WR. I too hope Houston cuts him.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understood the idea of BJ Daniels at WR. I too hope Houston cuts him.

I understood why they did it, i just did not like it. He was such a Athlete that they wanted to get him on the field more. Still he was the perfect Back-up QB on a team that has Wilson and a piss poor Oline.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understood why they did it, i just did not like it. He was such a Athlete that they wanted to get him on the field more. Still he was the perfect Back-up QB on a team that has Wilson and a piss poor Oline.

Did he ever play the WR position?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for the Hawks? yes a few times. As for the rest of his football career ( HS, College ) i have really no clue but i do not think so.

I knew with the Hawks, just wasn't sure about the past. Personally, they should have just kept him as the back up to RW. I thought it was a waste of time trying to get him to learn a position he's never played before.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even like Daniels as a backup QB...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is that?

I don't think he's a good back up QB... If we believe has the potential to one day being a solid QB, then make him the #3 and get a #2 QB in that's ready to go now... Can't afford to have RW get hurt and have Daniels as the QB for us imo, he's not ready...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's a good back up QB... If we believe has the potential to one day being a solid QB, then make him the #3 and get a #2 QB in that's ready to go now... Can't afford to have RW get hurt and have Daniels as the QB for us imo, he's not ready...

We don't actually get a lot to go on with a third string QB. Mostly preseason. Last preseason he looked to me like he progressed enough to be the # 2, but the Seahawks already had TJax on the roster and he's a good back up also. Think the Seahawks wanted to keep him, but when injuries occur, the third string QB gets dropped to the practice squad. He bounced back and forth from the active roster to practice squad, until the Titans grabbed him off the PS.
Daniels know the system, he's mobile, got a good arm and plays with the same style as RW.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the topic of Hawks QBs, what do ya'll think the chances are of Vernon Adams ends up at Seahawk's training camp?

Vernon Adams is an interesting option.

I loved watching him play in college and unfortunately got to see him make ridiculous plays against the Huskies twice in person. In the NFL he projects more as a Troy Smith type though. His size, offenses he played in and surprisingly slow 40 time really hurt him though.

I'd totally be down to take a flier on him as a UDFA though.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind a 40 year old Hass as a back-up ... He's capable if called upon... would be cool for him to retire a Seahawk...