• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Hasselbeck

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The following statements are probably pretty emotionally driven rather than rational, but the Seahawks need a backup QB with Tarvaris Jackson possibly leaving.

Hasselbeck can be signed for a vet minimum contract, and even at age 40 he proved himself to be a capable backup QB despite getting absolutely destroyed by the Colts offensive line. In addition, he could act as a mentor for whichever young QB the Seahawks decide to bring in to be a 3rd stringer.

He's a class act, and was one of the reasons why a majority of the Mike Holmgren era was successful, and I think it would be pretty cool to see him in a Seahawks uniform one more time.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a class act for sure, unfortunately he doesn't fit our offense at all.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love Hass but he would not be a good fit.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he would be just a fine backup here. Russell hasn't missed any time at all in 4 seasons. If we really think our offense changed to "get the ball out quicker" last year then Matt can certainly do that. If he even has to play in something other than garbage time. It isn't like T Jax can run like RW anyway. Plus, all that great stuff Matt would bring to the locker room and as a QB coach in uniform. I would love it.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing Matt in the new uni's would be weird; the previous uni was and is Matt's era. Not sure if anyone has ever looked at this in this way, but coming out of the 90's and the frustration that came along with it we changed our uni's shortly after Holmgren took over. The uni's changed, the culture for football in Seattle changed, and it became the Holmgren era with Matt at the helm. Almost just as soon as those two were both out of town the same thing happened. First came the new regime, then the new uni's, and now a new culture where making the SB isn't the hope it's the expected. To see Matt a part of the new culture would be weird like I said, but I think it would be equally cool. Not sure it's the smartest thing to do from a position standpoint, but if this was the Mariners they would be signing him up immediately.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our offense has traditionally relied on the deep ball which has never been a strength of Hass and certainly isn't today.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be for it at the minimum because I think he could help Wilson in the QB meetings, but I'd be pretty surprised if he played for the vet minimum. He was making 2-3x what Tarvaris made last year in Indy.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree with Flyer & DHoey here....

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on the bring back Matt bandwagon for a while. Lets get him a ring or at least a chance to get one. GP got one late in Miami I think Matt deserves one...with us

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the topic of Hawks QBs, what do ya'll think the chances are of Vernon Adams ends up at Seahawk's training camp?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on the bring back Matt bandwagon for a while. Lets get him a ring or at least a chance to get one. GP got one late in Miami I think Matt deserves one...with us

I wonder how Matt would feel getting one as a bench player? Using him as a back up would sure be a short term kind of thing and leave the Seahawks searching for another back up ASAP, Matt would have to sign for peanuts,given how many players the Seahawks have to resign.

All in all, I think it's best for both parties to say no to this idea.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should already have one, you guys were robbed.

I started a thread on the Pats sight to trade Garoppalo and bring in Hasselbeck. Matt is a New Englander after all.

It didn't go over well, understandably.
But Matt is a good guy and a tough one.
Be good to see him end his career where he started, with a ring.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how Matt would feel getting one as a bench player? Using him as a back up would sure be a short term kind of thing and leave the Seahawks searching for another back up ASAP, Matt would have to sign for peanuts,given how many players the Seahawks have to resign.

All in all, I think it's best for both parties to say no to this idea.

I agree with your post, except that whether it's here or somewhere else, if the team he was on won a ring, he'd most likely be sitting on the bench when they won it. I don't know if he's good enough anymore to pull a reverse Brady-Bledsoe, so if the team he went to was a contender and then lost their starter, I don't think he's coming in and taking that team to a title.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I'm about to say is hard because Matty Beck is one of my alltime favorite

NO.

I would agree with him just coming get his ring and riding off into the sunset but he will be a waste of a roster spot and cap space by sitting on the bench. He deserves better IMO.

Also the offense has changed with the times of the league. We expect our QB's to run and pass.

The only Viable option is one that Harold Brought up. Have him retire a hawk

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our offense has traditionally relied on the deep ball which has never been a strength of Hass and certainly isn't today.
Sure, but we also wouldn't be relying on Matt Hasselbeck. Even if we did have to put him in there, we are more than capable of running a quick pass offense using the smaller/quick receivers like Lockett & Baldwin.

No matter what backup QB we get in here, he's not going to be anywhere close to the talent of RW.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the topic of Hawks QBs, what do ya'll think the chances are of Vernon Adams ends up at Seahawk's training camp?

Not sure of the answer to this question, but I will say the Wilson/Adams comparisons are very overblown. Adams is slighter than RW and less equipped to handle the pounding of a full season (just look at his 1 year at Oregon). Also, his arm is nowhere near as strong as Wilson's. He'll be in someone's camp, and could end up in Seattle as a camp arm, but I don't see him making the squad as a backup.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even at minimum salary, the cap hit for a player with as many years as Hass has is high. This is an area that we can save some cap dollars by going with someone with less years on his resume.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure of the answer to this question, but I will say the Wilson/Adams comparisons are very overblown. Adams is slighter than RW and less equipped to handle the pounding of a full season (just look at his 1 year at Oregon). Also, his arm is nowhere near as strong as Wilson's. He'll be in someone's camp, and could end up in Seattle as a camp arm, but I don't see him making the squad as a backup.
That is why I said training camp, and not team. I think he has decent arm strength, and he was very productive when he played at Oregon. It's not like we are looking for a long term option here, and in reality, if Wilson does go down, the Hawks are screwed.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As with everything, there has to be mutual interest. They would have to want him back and he would have to want to come back. Considering they already let him go once when he was in his mid 30's and he's now in his 40's, and considering that the current Seahawks braintrust is the same braintrust that made that decision more than five years ago, I don't know if there would be interest from either party.

As far as the mentor angle is concerned, I don't think you bring a guy in just for that, especially since most guys who are brought in to do that are brought in to help out a young starter or to be the starter while they groom the young backup to take over. The Hawks don't really need anyone to come in and mentor Wilson at this point and they're unlikely to carry three quarterbacks, so taking up a roster spot just so he can mentor a kid who, based on Wilson's first four years, would probably only ever see the field in mop up duty just isn't practical. They need that roster spot (and, more importantly, that cap space) to be available for a position in greater need of solidification than quarterback. I think if they lose Jackson, they'll try to sign another Jackson type. In other words, a guy who has experience in the league, can be signed for a relatively small amount of money and who can hold his own if, knock on wood, we lose Wilson for a few games. I don't think Hasselbeck fits that criteria anymore.