• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Ellis: Dodgers, Rays and Royals are interested

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOOOOOOOO....there is no way that guy can outproduce Boni.....absolutely worthless point and most likely more expensive....Dayton needs to hold off....if paying Beltran 16 mil...we are tapped out....Budget...Budget...good values...ala like Pittsburg and TB do.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dabums, I would rather have Ellis, E.Boni has proven to be inconsistent. That is utility man material, not a an everyday player.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dabums, I would rather have Ellis, E.Boni has proven to be inconsistent. That is utility man material, not a an everyday player.

look at Ellis's career...he as be inconsistant even longer....your killing me here....Ellis is a horrible choice.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hold it, you thought Kottaras should have stayed too...I understand now.....(lol)

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Ellis isn't a bad stop gap guy, he's got a little more power than Bonifacio and still plays solid defense

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Ellis isn't a bad stop gap guy, he's got a little more power than Bonifacio and still plays solid defense

Do what? Boni's sbs completely out weigh the couple of HR's the 37 yr old will be above Boni...if at all at Royals stadium.

The Royals have arguably GG at could be 6 positions soon...who cares about Ellis to Boni dwar when Boni clearly is more of an offensive threat as well as can play multi positions for 3 mil bucks.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone will give him $ 2 mil to be a bench player, and I think the Dodgers would have the inside track here, or, at least be able to make this offer first. I just have no idea on what he is askign for, or what he thinks he is worth.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOOOOOOOO....there is no way that guy can outproduce Boni.....absolutely worthless point and most likely more expensive....Dayton needs to hold off....if paying Beltran 16 mil...we are tapped out....Budget...Budget...good values...ala like Pittsburg and TB do.

Ellis over last 2 years: .264/.328/.357, 93 OPS+
Bonifacio: .248/.308/.325, 73 OPS+

When you factor in defense, it isn't even debatable. Boni isn't bad, but Ellis is one of the best defensive 2B in the league (maybe all-time). Ellis has been a very underrated player. Bonifacio is younger and he had a pretty nice 2011 season, but he hasn't any others seasons even remotely close to that. He had a 107 OPS+ that year... his 2nd highest is 76.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellis over last 2 years: .264/.328/.357, 93 OPS+
Bonifacio: .248/.308/.325, 73 OPS+

When you factor in defense, it isn't even debatable. Boni isn't bad, but Ellis is one of the best defensive 2B in the league (maybe all-time). Ellis has been a very underrated player. Bonifacio is younger and he had a pretty nice 2011 season, but he hasn't any others seasons even remotely close to that. He had a 107 OPS+ that year... his 2nd highest is 76.

If Ellis is 2 mil bucks sure...if he is a dollar over 3 mil....Boni all the way...why over last two years...why not last 3 or 4...Boni had a bad start last year, he is young and dumb...looks like Ellis had a few of those in his career at Boni's age. Boni can play other positions...if Royals can get Ellis for 3 million or less...ok sure....but we just tried the ol' "he's a better defensive player" approach with Getz, screw that...we have an ENTIRE infield of great defensive players...so lets go after a defensive 2b? We NEED OFFENSE...

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the last four years, offense is pretty identical (OPS+ wise at least, Bonifacio has a slightly higher OBP and Ellis has a slightly higher SLG%). Bonifacio is a better baserunner, but Ellis is a much better defender. Bonifacio has a 5.5 bWAR over the last 4 years, Ellis's is 11.0.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the last four years, offense is pretty identical (OPS+ wise at least, Bonifacio has a slightly higher OBP and Ellis has a slightly higher SLG%). Bonifacio is a better baserunner, but Ellis is a much better defender. Bonifacio has a 5.5 bWAR over the last 4 years, Ellis's is 11.0.

again, the Royals don't need defense stud gold glovers at every position, they tried that and now are looking for offense at 2b and RF...might as well kept Getz cheaper, younger, SB's offset the non existant power...

Ellis is not the answer...Infante sure...but if they sign Beltran, Boni is just fine at 2nd base til Colon comes up, who is basically maybe a Ellis clone.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, the Royals don't need defense stud gold glovers at every position, they tried that and now are looking for offense at 2b and RF...might as well kept Getz cheaper, younger, SB's offset the non existant power...

Ellis is not the answer...Infante sure...but if they sign Beltran, Boni is just fine at 2nd base til Colon comes up, who is basically maybe a Ellis clone.

Lolwut:laugh3:

Okay, but come on Dabums, unless you are REALLY confident in Bonifacio's OBP jumping up to the point where the Royals could have him leading off, this seems like a pointless discussion. Ellis > E.Boni.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lolwut:laugh3:

Okay, but come on Dabums, unless you are REALLY confident in Bonifacio's OBP jumping up to the point where the Royals could have him leading off, this seems like a pointless discussion. Ellis > E.Boni.

But Ellis is an improvement offensively. And his offense really isn't comparable to Getz or Boni. Ellis's worst OPS+ was 68 in 2011, and that's Chris Getz' career average. Ellis has a career OPS 101 points higher than Getz. 58 points higher than Boni.

And when you consider defense, he's a much better player than either. Getz is a replacement level player, Bonifacio is below average.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Ellis is an improvement offensively. And his offense really isn't comparable to Getz or Boni. Ellis's worst OPS+ was 68 in 2011, and that's Chris Getz' career average. Ellis has a career OPS 101 points higher than Getz. 58 points higher than Boni.

And when you consider defense, he's a much better player than either. Getz is a replacement level player, Bonifacio is below average.

Of course, I just find this "debate" between E.Boni and Ellis to be entirely pointless for the most part. Considering there is a lack of OBP in general on the offense, it would be nice to move Gordon down in the lineup and have a theoretically "high OBP Bonifacio instead", but that seems rather quackish to hope for that until it is shown.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, if Ellis is over 2 mil bucks, he isn't worth it at all...I will take Boni all day long, he hit 284 with the royals and was swiping bags nuts since he got here to prove he wants to be here...not a guy who would come to get a final paycheck. Boni more hungry.

and really we are debating two pretty average to below average players, gawd, small market sucks arse.

and I am not confident in either but will go on youth and price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, if Ellis is over 2 mil bucks, he isn't worth it at all...I will take Boni all day long, he hit 284 with the royals and was swiping bags nuts since he got here to prove he wants to be here...not a guy who would come to get a final paycheck. Boni more hungry.

E.Boni is not the offensive threat Ellis is, give it up. They only reason anyone could conceivably prefer Bonifacio would be to replicate a season where he would be an adequate (atleast in KC compared to the others) leadoff bat. That is literally it. Ellis is better, period.