• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners Tapped Out

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Servais just said on MLB TV that right when M's were tapped out ownership stepped up and ok'd Iwakuma deal. Something most new or thought, but amazing to hear. It is the biggest thing that still makes me bitter towards M's and holds me back just a bit from all out support of the team.

Cheap bastards. :kissass:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much confirming what we all knew. Still very interesting to here the manager say it though

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this will piss NBA fans off:

But why doesn't these millionaires who want to bring an NBA team back here step up and buy this team instead?
They would make twice as much money and the following would be huge!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Forbes Magazine:

It turns out the Seattle Mariners did not just have an off year on the field last season. The MLB team also reversed course in terms of profits, too.

During 2015 the baseball team had net income from business operations of $7.2 million, according to the audited figures the team reports yearly to Washington State’s Public Facilities District. The previous season the Mariners earned $11.6 million.

Although the Mariners went 76-87 in 2015 after posting a record of 87-75 in 2014, the reason for the decrease in profits was not attendance. The Mariners averaged 27,081 at Safeco Field in 2015, 6% more than the previous year.

Rather, the slip in profits was mainly due to the team’s payroll rising to $123 million last season from $90 million in 2014 (thank you, Cot’s.!) The Mariners should remain profitable because they have one of the richest television deals in baseball.

The ownership group of the Mariners, which bought the franchise in 1992, has never taken a profit distribution.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Forbes Magazine:

It turns out the Seattle Mariners did not just have an off year on the field last season. The MLB team also reversed course in terms of profits, too.

During 2015 the baseball team had net income from business operations of $7.2 million, according to the audited figures the team reports yearly to Washington State’s Public Facilities District. The previous season the Mariners earned $11.6 million.

Although the Mariners went 76-87 in 2015 after posting a record of 87-75 in 2014, the reason for the decrease in profits was not attendance. The Mariners averaged 27,081 at Safeco Field in 2015, 6% more than the previous year.

Rather, the slip in profits was mainly due to the team’s payroll rising to $123 million last season from $90 million in 2014 (thank you, Cot’s.!) The Mariners should remain profitable because they have one of the richest television deals in baseball.

The ownership group of the Mariners, which bought the franchise in 1992, has never taken a profit distribution.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the "profit distribution"? Is that shared revenue when a team isn't making a profit in the league?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuse my ignorance but what is the "profit distribution"? Is that shared revenue when a team isn't making a profit in the league?

It means they have never actually disbursed the yearly profits among the owners, but instead of they left it in the kitty if you will.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It means they have never actually disbursed the yearly profits among the owners, but instead of they left it in the kitty if you will.

So this is there way of telling a GM, " you want higher payroll, this is your budget!"

Shrewd!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this will piss NBA fans off:

But why doesn't these millionaires who want to bring an NBA team back here step up and buy this team instead?
They would make twice as much money and the following would be huge!

I've always said I wish Paul Allen cared about baseball in just the slightest. For some reason rich dudes like the NBA or the NFL. And after seeing what MLB has done to Cuban can you really blame them?

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always said I wish Paul Allen cared about baseball in just the slightest. For some reason rich dudes like the NBA or the NFL. And after seeing what MLB has done to Cuban can you really blame them?

And here we go, tonight a special meeting with city officials about closing a street down there for the new arena, :gaah: sometimes rich people can be so dumb!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I'm curious about is where is the minority owners voice in all of the dealings with the Mariners. I don't know a name of a single one of them but you'd think we'd hear grumblings through what Geoff Baker use to do about it but I've never heard a thing. Making a profit is swell and all but when it seems you make moves for over a decade that leaves millions of profit on the table doesn't seem to make sense. It's like the group is the guys who were B students in business 101, smart enough to make profit but not enough to make an enormous profit. They have everything an owner could ever want to make a profit, a nice pipeline into foreign countries, they reign the 12th or whatever market outside of football season, not having to pay for a first class city, your own network to air programming besides baseball, must I go on? The only other more than maybe the Yankees or Mets

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I'm curious about is where is the minority owners voice in all of the dealings with the Mariners. I don't know a name of a single one of them but you'd think we'd hear grumblings through what Geoff Baker use to do about it but I've never heard a thing. Making a profit is swell and all but when it seems you make moves for over a decade that leaves millions of profit on the table doesn't seem to make sense. It's like the group is the guys who were B students in business 101, smart enough to make profit but not enough to make an enormous profit. They have everything an owner could ever want to make a profit, a nice pipeline into foreign countries, they reign the 12th or whatever market outside of football season, not having to pay for a first class city, your own network to air programming besides baseball, must I go on? The only other more than maybe the Yankees or Mets

Not only that but attendance at the 2000's was pretty much a packed house, that's the part I don't understand, why put a below subpar team on the field when you can put above .500 squad out there and raise attendance another 15,000 to 25,000 and make more? I mean hell that's a lot more $10.00 beer sales, $7.00 hotdog sales.