• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Mariners Homestand: Marlins & White Sox

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100%

Back in my pitching days I would often get asked: "what my best pitch was"

I always replied: 'My 2nd up and in fastball'

Then when asked why the 2nd?

I would smartly reply: 'so the batter knew the 1st one wasn't an accident'

The pitcher absolutely MUST control the inside part of the plate and even a couple inches inside that. You simply cannot let opposing batters stroll up to the dish and start leaning into pitches trying to barrel everything up.

They have to have the fear instilled in them that great risk is involved leaning into pitches.
Yep. Fear can be a good thing if used properly.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ret..Phili..
He's from pensilvania..somewhere.
Good memory, he was born in Sellersville, Pennsylvania. Idk where he's living these days, when I was younger I remember he did a lot with the Make-A-Wish foundation.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been struggling of late, but this is just a masterful hit. Went with it and unloaded the bases.

Wow, Robert needs a solid ass kicking from his teammates after the effort he gave on that one.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Robert needs a solid ass kicking from his teammates after the effort he gave on that one.
I noticed a couple of their 'stars' are a bit lazy. Roberts could be such a stud. He has all the tools.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamie Moyer would agree.

Wonder what he's up to these days. Crazy to think he had the success he had throwing an 80 MPH fastball.
Moyer still doesn’t make sense and it honestly was admirable and should give hope to any baseball player. Just continue to work your ass off until no one will let you play anymore.

His stuff was essentially an above average HS pitcher’s with 2 slow pitches. It’s not like his change up was some crazy ball like a knuckleball, palm, splitter or any of those crazy Latin or Asian pitches.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed a couple of their 'stars' are a bit lazy. Roberts could be such a stud. He has all the tools.
I don’t keep up with the White Sox and all but he and like what 6 other dudes were suppose to stars by now weren’t they? I only pointed that out on that clip cause I saw Kelenic go with the pitch then it looked like Robinson Cano was playing CF.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t keep up with the White Sox and all but he and like what 6 other dudes were suppose to stars by now weren’t they? I only pointed that out on that clip cause I saw Kelenic go with the pitch then it looked like Robinson Cano was playing CF.
Ya they were suppose to be loaded with young studs, but something went wrong. A little too happy being in the bigs is my guess. Not trying to get better.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now that is funny ! :pound:

Yea what NWinAZ said ... they added some quality ball players a few years ago from the draft ( due to being 100+ loss multi years in a row )
Had 1 pretty good season with the young core players ( close to 90 wins I think ) then predicted to be division contenders for a few years after that and they never played up to their potential.

Obviously Ted Bundy must have visited the south side of Chicago at some point ( que inside joke for NWinAZ )

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moyer still doesn’t make sense and it honestly was admirable and should give hope to any baseball player. Just continue to work your ass off until no one will let you play anymore.

His stuff was essentially an above average HS pitcher’s with 2 slow pitches. It’s not like his change up was some crazy ball like a knuckleball, palm, splitter or any of those crazy Latin or Asian pitches.
I wonder if he'd have any success these days with how it seems every pitcher has a fastball that hits at least mid 90s.

I don't know if this is my imagination, but I feel like these days we don't see as many curveballs as we used to.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if he'd have any success these days with how it seems every pitcher has a fastball that hits at least mid 90s.

I don't know if this is my imagination, but I feel like these days we don't see as many curveballs as we used to.
Moyer would kill the Mariners that is for sure.

The fact we see so many fastballs thrown, I think he would do well these days. These guys are made to hack and he would eat those guys up.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@NWinAZ kind of stole my thunder in my response. I think it would be a lot harder for a Moyer to get to the bigs now but if he got his chance I think he actually would be better. It is the catch 22 though because I would bet my life on it that there are 1,000 Moyer types who were out there that baseball didn’t care about to develop because it costs them time of some other prospect who threw mid 90’s.. You don’t see a Greg Maddux or Jamie Moyer anymore, guys who are artists not pitchers.

Big problem is coaches and scouts don’t move up with guys like Moyer, they move up with flamethrowers and sabermetrics don’t do have a star for a Moyer. Kind of goes to my problem with analytics and scouting. There isn’t a stat to put on a guy like Moyer cause a Washington State HS game, he’d need a friendly umpire to even have a scout look at him.

My quote was from advice Pat Borders gave me but Moyer really is the dude who exemplifies that. He kept pitching until literally no one gave him a jersey.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@NWinAZ kind of stole my thunder in my response. I think it would be a lot harder for a Moyer to get to the bigs now but if he got his chance I think he actually would be better. It is the catch 22 though because I would bet my life on it that there are 1,000 Moyer types who were out there that baseball didn’t care about to develop because it costs them time of some other prospect who threw mid 90’s.. You don’t see a Greg Maddux or Jamie Moyer anymore, guys who are artists not pitchers.

Big problem is coaches and scouts don’t move up with guys like Moyer, they move up with flamethrowers and sabermetrics don’t do have a star for a Moyer. Kind of goes to my problem with analytics and scouting. There isn’t a stat to put on a guy like Moyer cause a Washington State HS game, he’d need a friendly umpire to even have a scout look at him.

My quote was from advice Pat Borders gave me but Moyer really is the dude who exemplifies that. He kept pitching until literally no one gave him a jersey.
Nailed it.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moyer would kill the Mariners that is for sure.

The fact we see so many fastballs thrown, I think he would do well these days. These guys are made to hack and he would eat those guys up.
That's actually funny because I think you're right.

I feel like most of the guys these days rely on a fastball, slider and changeup. Don't see much velocity thrown over 90mph unless it's a vet.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember an interview with another player or manager or something where they said Moyer would sometimes shout up to a hitter "what do you want?" And Moyer would go there and still get the whiff.