• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marinelli

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOR MY BUDDY FRIED

The Cowboys’ injury-depleted defensive line didn’t just get by against the Giants. The Dallas front four was a dominant force.

In fact, the four Cowboys who received the highest grades from ProFootballFocus.com’s play-by-play evaluation of the season-opening win were starting defensive linemen.

[+] EnlargeCasey Sapio/USA TODAY Sports"I'm really proud of some of these guys coming in off the bus," Dallas Cowboys defensive line coach Rod Marinelli said.

Much of the credit must go to defensive line coach Rod Marinelli, the most overqualified position coach in the league.

It’s not necessarily a surprise to see defensive end DeMarcus Ware and defensive tackle Jason Hatcher at the top of the list, although this was their first game in a 4-3 scheme. It’s much more noteworthy that defensive end George Selvie and defensive tackle Nick Hayden, a couple of fill-in starters for former Pro Bowlers, performed so well.

Selvie figured his football career could be over when he didn’t get signed all offseason, then seized his opportunity when the Cowboys called him after Anthony Spencer needed knee surgery the first week of training camp. Hayden was out of football last season, but he’s consistently impressed the Cowboys coaches since signing in the spring.

The Cowboys also got quality contributions from reserve defensive tackle Landon Cohen, who was out of football last year and signed with the Cowboys the same day as Selvie, and reserve defensive tackle/end Jerome Long, who was released in the cuts to 53 and re-signed the day before the opener.

“Man, they did an awesome job,” said Hatcher, who had a sack and a hurry. “Hayden just had a monster game. Selvie came in and a few guys came in off the street. Long came in like yesterday and spared us a few plays.

“When you have leaders on the D-line, it’s easy to bring guys in and show them the way. Hats off to those guys, man. They did a tremendous job coming in off the street and doing what they do.”

Ware picked off an Eli Manning screen pass on the first snap of the game. He was relatively quiet the rest of the night, recording one hurry and one pass defensed, but his mere presence as a pass-rushing threat made a major impact.

Selvie benefitted from the Giants sliding protection towards Ware. The 26-year-old journeyman had a critical sack in the red zone, two hurries and a fumble recovery.

Hayden anchored the Dallas run defense, which held the Giants to 3.6 yards per carry, and forced the fumble that safety Barry Church returned for a touchdown.

“I’m really proud of some of these guys coming in off the bus,” Marinelli said. “They played very well and played very hard. We’ll get better.”

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting the Fried was on somewhere on thes boards when the game ended last night. If anyone really believes he was not on "THIS" board stewing in his hate, they are fooling themselves.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have issues to address along with lots of other teams but the FACT that the DL held up and even excelled with 2 starters out for the opener says a lot about the TEAM of Defensive Coaches that came in and completely changed how this group of players approach the game. Attitude goes a long long long way

500 yards of offense is a lot to give away but 6 turnovers negates that and a WIN is all that matters in the end

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he has a plan for the read option/Pistol offense cause it seem to be here to stay.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he has a plan for the read option/Pistol offense cause it seem to be here to stay.

I'll wait to see if a read option QB can last 3 years taking the beating they will in the NFL, before I call it the wave of the future.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta tip your hat to Selvie and Hayden in particular. They didn't just hold their own, they played real good. As for the other two, I expect good play every week, so no surprise for me there. Who was it that said Hatcher had no spot in this defense?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

no man....they been sitting on their hands all summer.

another topic......I hated A&M all my life more than any team. Grew up Woster, Street, Sir Royal but that changed about 5 years ago. Now it's all that is Mack Brown. For as dysfunctional the Cowboys have been, Texas tops all that.

Fire The D-Cord.? That a-boy Mack.

LOL @ Texas

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are not pulling for Johnny Football vs Bama

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting the Fried was on somewhere on thes boards when the game ended last night. If anyone really believes he was not on "THIS" board stewing in his hate, they are fooling themselves.

He was on these boards just 3 short hours ago. Couldn't find anything to post about after a big win.

Odd

negativeCreep

Odd Man Out
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"They are who I thought they were"

Nice find, I couldn't agree more. Of the four, Selvie probably impressed me the most. A week ago I couldn't even remember his name, but that won't happen again. He's studly.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was on these boards just 3 short hours ago. Couldn't find anything to post about after a big win.

Odd

LOL...no kidding?
Well this does confirm what I've always thought and you can bet your last buck he's stemming with the way our dline played. Just last week he wasn't here forecasting doom.... no sir, he was telling us it was a done deal and we're all to blame....you, me, jerry... all the sluppers

Mr. Fried restores the entertainment for me by knowing he had it all planned to control this board this week and beat his chest about finally being right.

LOL....:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...no kidding?
Well this does confirm what I've always thought and you can bet your last buck he's stemming with the way our dline played. Just last week he wasn't here forecasting doom.... no sir, he was telling us it was a done deal and we're all to blame....you, me, jerry... all the sluppers

Mr. Fried restores the entertainment for me by knowing he had it all planned to control this board and beat his chest about finally being right.

LOL....:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

not kidding.

I think everyone can see recent activity by looking at a users profile. Should be on the main page right under their name.

WFRYE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOR MY BUDDY FRIED

The Cowboys’ injury-depleted defensive line didn’t just get by against the Giants. The Dallas front four was a dominant force.

In fact, the four Cowboys who received the highest grades from ProFootballFocus.com’s play-by-play evaluation of the season-opening win were starting defensive linemen.

[+] EnlargeCasey Sapio/USA TODAY Sports"I'm really proud of some of these guys coming in off the bus," Dallas Cowboys defensive line coach Rod Marinelli said.

Much of the credit must go to defensive line coach Rod Marinelli, the most overqualified position coach in the league.

It’s not necessarily a surprise to see defensive end DeMarcus Ware and defensive tackle Jason Hatcher at the top of the list, although this was their first game in a 4-3 scheme. It’s much more noteworthy that defensive end George Selvie and defensive tackle Nick Hayden, a couple of fill-in starters for former Pro Bowlers, performed so well.

Selvie figured his football career could be over when he didn’t get signed all offseason, then seized his opportunity when the Cowboys called him after Anthony Spencer needed knee surgery the first week of training camp. Hayden was out of football last season, but he’s consistently impressed the Cowboys coaches since signing in the spring.

The Cowboys also got quality contributions from reserve defensive tackle Landon Cohen, who was out of football last year and signed with the Cowboys the same day as Selvie, and reserve defensive tackle/end Jerome Long, who was released in the cuts to 53 and re-signed the day before the opener.

“Man, they did an awesome job,” said Hatcher, who had a sack and a hurry. “Hayden just had a monster game. Selvie came in and a few guys came in off the street. Long came in like yesterday and spared us a few plays.

“When you have leaders on the D-line, it’s easy to bring guys in and show them the way. Hats off to those guys, man. They did a tremendous job coming in off the street and doing what they do.”

Ware picked off an Eli Manning screen pass on the first snap of the game. He was relatively quiet the rest of the night, recording one hurry and one pass defensed, but his mere presence as a pass-rushing threat made a major impact.

Selvie benefitted from the Giants sliding protection towards Ware. The 26-year-old journeyman had a critical sack in the red zone, two hurries and a fumble recovery.

Hayden anchored the Dallas run defense, which held the Giants to 3.6 yards per carry, and forced the fumble that safety Barry Church returned for a touchdown.

“I’m really proud of some of these guys coming in off the bus,” Marinelli said. “They played very well and played very hard. We’ll get better.”

Yeah, cause giving up 31 points and 500 yards of offense (probably more if not for a fluke tipped pass by your own teammate that was run back for a TD late in the game), means that some beat-off writer from ProFootballFocus.com (?) is a football God that deserves all the praise he can get??....lmao

Fucking dreamers....

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, cause giving up 31 points and 500 yards of offense (probably more if not for a fluke tipped pass by your own teammate that was run back for a TD late in the game), means that some beat writer from ProFootballFocus.com (?) is a football God that deserves all the praise that he can get??....lmao

Fucking dreamers....

I too am happy that the Cowboys won

WFRYE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am too, but don't paint this ridiculous rose-colored glasses picture here that this defense looked great?? Just not true. Did they cause some turn-overs?...sure...finally, that was great, but they still looked shitty and almost gave up a huge lead late in the game per usual.

Reality not just dreaming again. They looked far from great...but I'm, sure that PDay and his lovefest crew will tell you differently here?.....which is why their opinions belong in a zoo.

Defense wins, and I just don't see this defense creating 6 TOs a game??...lol

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Fans tend to see the glass have full after a divisional win and then there are the non cowboy fans better referred as the haters. Now what makes you stick out is the obsession with being right about a football opinion only to be wrong pretty much 6 years running...or is it 5 years? Whenever McFadden was drafted.

Hey....maybe next week you'll feel recharged and take on the cause that you're football;l smarter than all the dreamers

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am too, but not paint this ridiculous rose-colored glasses picture here that this defense looked great?? Just not true. Did they cause some turn-overs?...sure...finally, that was great, but they still looked shitty and almost gave up a huge lead late in the game per usual.

Reality not just dreaming again. They looked far from great...but I', sure that PDay and lovefest crew will tell you differently here?.....which is why their opinions belong in a zoo.

hey dip stick.....my post was an article. You're mad should be directed at the whole football world for not seeing your views. Your obsession just keeps me on the front row.

Have a great week.
You & the skin fans have much in common this week

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am too, but don't paint this ridiculous rose-colored glasses picture here that this defense looked great?? Just not true. Did they cause some turn-overs?...sure...finally, that was great, but they still looked shitty and almost gave up a huge lead late in the game per usual.

Reality not just dreaming again. They looked far from great...but I'm, sure that PDay and his lovefest crew will tell you differently here?.....which is why their opinions belong in a zoo.

Defense wins, and I just don't see this defense creating 6 TOs a game??...lol

Article was about the Dline, which in spite of expectations did play great.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article was about the Dline, which in spite of expectations did play great.

what was that?
maybe we should turn it up

"Article was about the Dline, which in spite of expectations did play great"

That's better.

WFRYE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do believe however, that Jason Garrett is starting to turn the tide of the self-promoting environment that Jerry has created over the years for this team having them believe that they could just roll their helmets out onto the field and win ball games just because they are America's team? PDay, the leader of the anti-Garrett "redball" posse here, I'm sure will tell you that it's all Marinelli or something else that has begun to change this team's self-perception and entitlement issues now, yet I'm not a fan of this team??

Fucking hilarious....

Let's just see if he can keep them focused for an entire season before just blowing Marinelli after every win can we?? Hence this team's main problem over the years.