• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariano Rivera blows (the game) & Paps returns to Fenway

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball trades are weird, JD. Cliff Lee is expensive and owed a lot more money. So, his status as an "elite pitcher" is offset somewhat by the dollars he is owed. Most teams don't want to inherit a $20M+/year player AND give up good prospects.

P.S. What was the proposed trade for Lee?

Yeah I know, but first, Cliff Lee won't go anywhere even if the Phillies wanted to trade him. He's not moving again. He chose Philadelphia in free agency because that's where he wanted to be.

Second, the Phillies will trade Hamels before Lee. Hamels has fallen out of favor there, and they could demand more theoretically because of the difference in age and dollars.

Third, the fans in Philly, who are already starting to sour a bit on the Phills, won't tolerate moving a Cy Young caliber pitcher who's still likely to be that way for at least 2-3 years. He doesn't rely on velocity for effectiveness, so there's no reason to believe he's going into the shitter anytime soon.

The trade Down pulled out of his ass I believe was Cliff Lee for Middlebrooks and 2 minor leaguers he read somewhere could be good in 3-5 years.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was back from the glory days of the Yankees farm system, when it was such a black hole that guys like him, Brandon Claussen and Eric Duncan were the cream of the crop

Brandon Claussen fucking sucked dick.

Jerzyjeff

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was back from the glory days of the Yankees farm system, when it was such a black hole that guys like him, Brandon Claussen and Eric Duncan were the cream of the crop

So good that they had to resort to persuading Drew Henson to play baseball over football and then he was a bust at both.

Village Plumber

Consider it circumcised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back in those days, NYNyasty was all "Oh, Brandon Claussen...kid's got 3 plus pitches. He's like a young Ron Guidry" and "Eric Duncan. Let me tell you about Eric Duncan. Kid has plus-plus bat speed and reminds me of a young George Brett."

Man...I miss my NYNastyKnows ID....

Well, I can't say I fully hate Brandon Claussen.

He did bring us...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Scalious

Shut up World
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball trades are weird, JD. Cliff Lee is expensive and owed a lot more money. So, his status as an "elite pitcher" is offset somewhat by the dollars he is owed. Most teams don't want to inherit a $20M+/year player AND give up good prospects.

P.S. What was the proposed trade for Lee?

Yes..which is why if the Phillies were actually serious about trading Lee. They would eat a portion of his Contract to Net the good Prospects..

It doesn't make sense to trade him for lesser Talent...Phillies are not in dire fiscal straights.. They have 51 Mil coming off the books after this year..

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I know, but first, Cliff Lee won't go anywhere even if the Phillies wanted to trade him. He's not moving again. He chose Philadelphia in free agency because that's where he wanted to be.

Second, the Phillies will trade Hamels before Lee. Hamels has fallen out of favor there, and they could demand more theoretically because of the difference in age and dollars.

Third, the fans in Philly, who are already starting to sour a bit on the Phills, won't tolerate moving a Cy Young caliber pitcher who's still likely to be that way for at least 2-3 years. He doesn't rely on velocity for effectiveness, so there's no reason to believe he's going into the shitter anytime soon.

The trade Down pulled out of his ass I believe was Cliff Lee for Middlebrooks and 2 minor leaguers he read somewhere could be good in 3-5 years.

Makes sense on Hamels. But does Lee have a no-trade clause? I am pretty sure the Phillies put him on waivers last August and pulled him back after the Dodger claimed him. So, they might be inclined to move him if they are out of the race. Maybe he's welcome a trade back to TEX?

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes..which is why if the Phillies were actually serious about trading Lee. They would eat a portion of his Contract to Net the good Prospects..

It doesn't make sense to trade him for lesser Talent...Phillies are not in dire fiscal straights.. They have 51 Mil coming off the books after this year..

Lee isn't going anywhere Scal.

He chose Philadelphia in free agency, when he could have gone to Boston, New York, Dallas, LA etc etc etc...

He won't agree to it if the Phills did actually try to pull the trigger, and why would they pull that trigger? Especially for the laughable package Down put out there?

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense on Hamels. But does Lee have a no-trade clause? I am pretty sure the Phillies put him on waivers last August and pulled him back after the Dodger claimed him. So, they might be inclined to move him if they are out of the race. Maybe he's welcome a trade back to TEX?

Again, Lee isn't moving.

And yes, I believe he has veto power in his contract.

Lord Scalious

Shut up World
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee isn't going anywhere Scal.

He chose Philadelphia in free agency, when he could have gone to Boston, New York, Dallas, LA etc etc etc...

He won't agree to it if the Phills did actually try to pull the trigger, and why would they pull that trigger? Especially for the laughable package Down put out there?

O I realize..

Just a Hypothetical..

Down doesn't seem to realize that acquiring quality Talent is the goal for Baseball teams...

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O I realize..

Just a Hypothetical..

Down doesn't seem to realize that acquiring quality Talent is the goal for Baseball teams...

Oh I don't think he's that stupid, his trademark though is vastly overrating the talent actually in the Red Sox system. It has been for years.

Like I said before, the package he mentioned could possibly net Garza or something similar, but then of course he went :exploding:

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His no-trade clause covers 21 teams. I have no idea who the other 8 are.

I don't think anybody knows who they are outside of the people who need to know, and I also think it can change from year to year.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has the Reds listed 21 times

"You mother fucking cock sucking ****. Your wife is a wildebeast and I hope your kids die of rectal cancer"

BUCCS469

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
hey dirt guess whats on tonight.......im gonna miss the first bit of it though cause im going to the gym after my hooker preps me some lasagna