• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marcus Mariota to the Titans

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
121514-CFB-mariota-titans-jersey-ahn-PI.vadapt.955.high.0.jpg

Decided to break this out into its own thread on the NFL board.

Mariota is not a can't miss prospect. But when you have a top-5 pick, a glaring need at QB, and there is one available that matches your needs on offense and in the locker room.....you take the best QB available. You assume that your coaching staff can correct that QB's deficiencies and you make a calculated risk that could change your franchise and initiate some hope within your fan base and locker room.

Fuck trading down and fuck drafting some random "could be great" prospect at a position that isn't going to win you games. You pick the best player available at the most important position on the field to build your franchise around.

There's certainly something to be said for this strategy and it'd be interesting to look at the numbers over the years and see if the risk is worth the reward.

I assume you're talking about the Titans here and if so, I'm telling you that the situation is more complex than what you hear from ESPN. There's a lot of talent on this team but they're very poorly coached and morale is in the basement. Ownership doesn't even come to Nashville for games and they're exploiting the franchise just like Frank McCourt did the Dodgers. The Titans are nothing but an ATM machine to them. On and off the field they're angering, frustrating and alienating their biggest supporters. For the first time ever, fans booed and many are boycotting. Local radio guys, including Paul Kuharsky and George Plaster are calling for fans to stay away, or if they already have PSLs and are determined to support the players, go to the game but don't spend a dime. Local charities are giving tax deductions for donated tickets for those boycotting.

So, there's that.

Next is that there's real confidence in Zach Mettenberger. Don't listen to these clowns who haven't watched 2 mins of Titans football season because they don't know what they're talking about. Mettenberger is a prototypical NFL QB and has demonstrated steely mental toughness. He's got a rocket, he's loved by fans and teammates alike. There's little doubt he'll be the Week 1 QB for the Titans next season.

Then you have Whis. Factor in his short leash for QBs and that he knows he'll be fired next season if he doesn't win. He has to win now and his favorite position is QB. You can bet the Titans top pick will be an offensive player. Does he choose Amari Cooper to open up the field and compliment Mettenberger or is he convinced Mariota could turn the Titans into the Seahawks?

I love the draft this year. I can't wait but if the Titans squander this top pick, I'll be taking next season off and I won't be alone.

My preferences in order.

1.) Amari Cooper
2.) Trade down, take best-available WR and DE with those picks

I hope and pray the Titans have the top pick and a team I dislike is willing to mortgage the next 5-7 years of their franchise on Mariota, ala Daniel Snyder and Bobby Griffin III.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whisenhunt could want his own QB if he's not sold on Mettenberger. I think ownership lets him make the call.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also the chance Cutler comes home in a trade. Seems like the kind of QB Wiz would like.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And something else I should have mentioned.

First of all, I concede that the Titans WILL NOT win a playoff game under Whisenhunt and are destined for the scrap heap with Ruston Webster at GM and Tommy Smith endorsing this bullshit.

That said, there aren't enough draft picks, even if they have the top pick, to fix this problem.

It's going to be interesting. I'm cursed with loving this team and it sucks right now because fans have zero confidence in the guys upstairs.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whisenhunt could want his own QB if he's not sold on Mettenberger. I think ownership lets him make the call.

There's also the chance Cutler comes home in a trade. Seems like the kind of QB Wiz would like.

Cutler could change EVERYTHING.

Solve the QB problem (if you think there is one) via free agency. Get Cutler back home and see what he can do.

Cutler to Amari Cooper and if it doesn't work in the first six weeks, give him the hook and put the kid back in?

As you might remember, I've talked to Paul Kuharksy, Blaine "The Hitman" Bishop and the 104.5 The Zone guys on the radio a few times and Kuharksy even responded to me about Cutler.

Last edited by a moderator:

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would draft Amari Cooper and give Mettenberger a great weapon. I was hoping Jacksonville would be able to get him, but there's a good chance you guys will be ahead of us now.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GO COWBOYS !!

:yahoo:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would draft Amari Cooper and give Mettenberger a great weapon. I was hoping Jacksonville would be able to get him, but there's a good chance you guys will be ahead of us now.

I concur. Amari Cooper with the top pick and maybe a dominant RT with the second rounder. If they decide to do that, they'll have to hit a HR with the third pick on defense or go after someone in free agency.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw what you did here Hammer...

Used Mariota's name in your thread title for a "attention getter" and preceded to tell us all MM is a RGIII type of player.

A Cooper's name in your thread title would have sufficed on it's own merit good enough. He IS the real deal at WR.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw what you did here Hammer...

Used Mariota's name in your thread title for a "attention getter" and preceded to tell us all MM is a RGIII type of player.

A Cooper's name in your thread title would have sufficed on it's own merit good enough. He IS the real deal at WR.

Wallace has me all figured out! :gaah:

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen much of the Titans this year, but how is Sankey doing? Do you see him being the starting back moving forward Hammer?

And what's up with Locker? He was playing real solid ball last year before he got hurt and it seems like he has regressed...and he continues to be riddled with the injury bug. His tenure probably done in Tennessee I assume

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen much of the Titans this year, but how is Sankey doing? Do you see him being the starting back moving forward Hammer?

And what's up with Locker? He was playing real solid ball last year before he got hurt and it seems like he has regressed...and he continues to be riddled with the injury bug. His tenure probably done in Tennessee I assume

Locker has been abysmal this season. He's off the rails and done here.

Paul Kuharsky made the case that the Titans woes are due in largest part to Whisenhunt's stubborn refusal to establish any sort of run game. Sankey isn't being used properly and they refuse to let McCluster be the weapon he is.

And let's not forget Akeem Ayers. He wasn't good enough to play for the mighty Titans so they cut him and he goes to NE and dominates. A sack or INT in every game for them.

Un-fuckin-real. :L

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hammer would you still root for the Titans if they draft Winston?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hammer...didn't realize all the negative fanfare was going on up there, but I think I heard you mention it.

If TN gets the #1 overall pick...no QB.

I'm a believer in Mettenberger as well...not the athlete that MM or Winston is, but a big strong kid that can throw it...needs reps and needs more help.

Trade down...get Cooper.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hammer...didn't realize all the negative fanfare was going on up there, but I think I heard you mention it.

If TN gets the #1 overall pick...no QB.

I'm a believer in Mettenberger as well...not the athlete that MM or Winston is, but a big strong kid that can throw it...needs reps and needs more help.

Trade down...get Cooper.

How far will Cooper drop though?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns already interested in Marcus :L

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns already interested in Marcus :L

But see, that's the perfect scenario for you fanbois. That way when he busts, you can blame it on the team.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But see, that's the perfect scenario for you fanbois. That way when he busts, you can blame it on the team.

The only way he does bust is the team. And that is basically the browns and raiders.

Titans and Jets currently suck complete ass but will get better around him eventually.

Bucs are most ready now

Eagles would be the dream

Browns=Contemplate retirement.