• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manning Passing Academy

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GO BIG ORANGE!

Mem, given that you are a Tennessee fan, do you think you were pulling for Manning to be here than say an average Niner fan? If he went to the Titans would that be your secondary team? (I'm not sure whether big orange is just your alma mater or home town. Given that all three teams are from different states, how you got to be fans for each is more intersting that a Warrior/Niner/SF Giants fan.)

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mem, given that you are a Tennessee fan, do you think you were pulling for Manning to be here than say an average Niner fan? If he went to the Titans would that be your secondary team? (I'm not sure whether big orange is just your alma mater or home town. Given that all three teams are from different states, how you got to be fans for each is more intersting that a Warrior/Niner/SF Giants fan.)

For the first question....I don't think him being from UT changed my opinion about it. For the record, I did want him here but only if Harbaalke were confident in his recovery and if it didn't mean we had to purge alot of our talent. I was initially disappointed he went to Denver but I came to terms with it pretty quickly...I would like to know the nitty gritty on how things played out, what Harbaalke was thinking, what Peyton was thinking. I fear it really just dame down to $$$$$, though.

As for my other teams, I do tend to try to pull for the local squad in the area I'm living (i.e. the Heat because I lived in Miami awhile) but when it comes down to it I can't really have a second favorite team in the same sport; it's like I only have enough fandom for one team. For the NFL, that's always been and always will be the Niners. As for the Titans...I liked them more when I lived in Tennesse but that's been awhile back now. I still like to see them do well, but it doesn't really affect me deeply if they don't.

For college, I don't think you can ever really root for another school if you to one with a rich football history.

Hope that was convoluted enough... :)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the first question....I don't think him being from UT changed my opinion about it. For the record, I did want him here but only if Harbaalke were confident in his recovery and if it didn't mean we had to purge alot of our talent. I was initially disappointed he went to Denver but I came to terms with it pretty quickly...I would like to know the nitty gritty on how things played out, what Harbaalke was thinking, what Peyton was thinking. I fear it really just dame down to $$$$$, though.

As for my other teams, I do tend to try to pull for the local squad in the area I'm living (i.e. the Heat because I lived in Miami awhile) but when it comes down to it I can't really have a second favorite team in the same sport; it's like I only have enough fandom for one team. For the NFL, that's always been and always will be the Niners. As for the Titans...I liked them more when I lived in Tennesse but that's been awhile back now. I still like to see them do well, but it doesn't really affect me deeply if they don't.

For college, I don't think you can ever really root for another school if you to one with a rich football history.

Cool stuff, Mem!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like your loyalty. I grew up as a Niner fan, went to USC, and lived in Utah for the years Alex Smith was there. I saw personally all he did there, saw that he was a smart, hard worker, so I followed him. I would have stopped following after college if he not gone to my favorite NFL team. My parents went to the University of Utah medical school, so I was predisposed to like them, too. So I cheated and had two college football teams. Now that both are the Pac-12, I have to root for USC because I went there.

So you guys will see my bias for Smith - I've been open and honest about it, and frankly all of us would be better off if he succeeds. If Alex Smith continues to win and we win multiple Super Bowls, it wouldn't really matter if Kaepernick was better unless it was a shoe-in he'd win more SBs than Alex. You know? (Obviously, if Alex doesn't we could be missing out - especially thinking about Manning possibly being here and tutoring Kaepernick.)

If the Manning thing came down to money, it's a two-way street. I'm sure the Niners would pay him more than they paid Smith and less than Manning got with Denver. If Manning wanted the SB so badly, he could have caved, too. How does 14 M/year plus a few SBs sound compared to 19 M and likely none? Like you, I'm loyal, if he chose not to come here, for any reason (besides moral reasons that don't exist here), then he's the enemy until he retires.

P.S. The 14 M amount was random average between 8 and 20, 5 M doesn't sound like a lot, but over 5 years? That ends up strapping you, a bit. You don't think we lowballed himto 10-12, do you?

Last edited by a moderator:

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Alex Smith continues to win and we win multiple Super Bowls, it wouldn't really matter if Kaepernick was better unless it was a shoe-in he'd win more SBs than Alex. You know? (Obviously, if Alex doesn't we could be missing out - especially thinking about Manning possibly being here and tutoring Kaepernick.)

If the Manning thing came down to money, it's a two-way street. I'm sure the Niners would pay him more than they paid Smith and less than Manning got with Denver. If Manning wanted the SB so badly, he could have caved, too. How does 14 M/year plus a few SBs sound compared to 19 M and likely none? Like you, I'm loyal, if he chose not to come here, for any reason (besides moral reasons that don't exist here), then he's the enemy until he retires.

P.S. The 14 M amount was random average between 8 and 20, 5 M doesn't sound like a lot, but over 5 years? That ends up strapping you, a bit. You don't think we lowballed himto 10-12, do you?

Agree with the bold. I'd like to have the "Montana-Young Headache" all over again, not that I think either Alex or Kap are in that league, just stating for illustrative purposes.

With the Manning thing, I'd like to believe that he would have shaved a few million for a ring, but, if you're him and you have one ring already, would you really give up 20-30 mill over the life of the contract? I doubt I could...that is ALOT of money.

As for our offer, if we even made one, I bet it was a bit low-ball. Not to disrespect Peyton, but I'm sure Harbaalke looked at it like, "Which players are we willing to cut to get him?" I bet their list was pretty short as they probably really like most of the roster. If I had to make a total guess...probably 12-15 mil/yr. Once again...if they made an offer.