• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Man vs Machine- Barr= Damarcus Ware

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scout's Take Blog: Draft observations by an ex-NFL player, scout - NFL.com

This is a great read about some of the defenders the Lions could be looking at in the first round. Here is one of the pieces about Anthony Barr. Not only was he compared to Ware, but also compared to our former SLB Julian Peterson.

Scout's Take: Credit Jim Mora for identifying Barr's talent and potential as a disruptive defender upon his arrival at UCLA. The long-time NFL coaching veteran encouraged Barr to move from running back to outside linebacker; the switch paid huge dividends for player and team, with Barr developing into one of the most dominant defenders in college football. The senior standout dominated the Pac-12 with his unique combination of length, athleticism and explosiveness as a pass rusher. Additionally, he brought an unbridled energy and enthusiasm to the field that sparked his Bruins' teammates to take their respective games to another level. When I spoke to Mora about Barr and his long-term potential, he quickly compared his star defender to former All-Pro Julian Peterson. I see the similarities in their physical appearance and games, which is why I've routinely offered up the same comparison when asked about Barr. However, I must admit that I'm intrigued by the computer's suggestion of DeMarcus Ware, because the physical dimensions and athletic measurements are comparable. Of course, Ware is a bit more explosive based on the 40-time and vertical jump, but the closely matched 3-cone time suggests Barr could be a terrific rusher turning the corner off the edge. Given the importance of getting to the quarterback, the ability to "bend and burst" around the corner could make him a Pro Bowl-caliber playmaker at the next level.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is defintely in play now that Willie Young is gone. It would not surprise me if we took him. I think he becomes a speed DE in the 4-3 or a 3-4 OLB.

Not sure we would use him as a 4-3 OLB though.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be thrilled with Barr at #10.

I'm not sure where he'd wind up- DE, OLB, maybe both in a hybrid role?

Definitely would be a great pick-up for our defense.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Stafford could be a hybrid......QB/RB/WR Slash Kicker......

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough call on Barr. If the Lions played a 3-4 -- I think he would be a slam dunk pick. He is kind of in between for the 4-3 though. Little too small for the DE position in the NFL and struggles to shed blocks and relies on his athleticism too much for OLB.

The fact he has only played on the defense for 2 years though makes him a guy who will be very coachable. He was able to dominate for UCLA on his size and speed alone. If Detroit feels he is a player that takes to instructions from the coaches and can translate it onto the field, like Ansah did in his rookie year. He could be a tremendous player for Detroit.

About the only real negative if they draft him and want to use him as a DE is -- it is another top pick spent on the DLine and it leaves us in basically the same position as we were in with the back end of the defense. If they feel he can turn into an elite pass rusher though -- it is tough to pass that up.

We also don't know how Detroit is going to play defensively, as Austin has been kind of vague on what he would like to do. So maybe Detroit is going to use both 4-3 and 3-4 sets, and a player like Barr would be a perfect fit for what he wants to do.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough call on Barr. If the Lions played a 3-4 -- I think he would be a slam dunk pick. He is kind of in between for the 4-3 though. Little too small for the DE position in the NFL and struggles to shed blocks and relies on his athleticism too much for OLB.

The fact he has only played on the defense for 2 years though makes him a guy who will be very coachable. He was able to dominate for UCLA on his size and speed alone. If Detroit feels he is a player that takes to instructions from the coaches and can translate it onto the field, like Ansah did in his rookie year. He could be a tremendous player for Detroit.

About the only real negative if they draft him and want to use him as a DE is -- it is another top pick spent on the DLine and it leaves us in basically the same position as we were in with the back end of the defense. If they feel he can turn into an elite pass rusher though -- it is tough to pass that up.

We also don't know how Detroit is going to play defensively, as Austin has been kind of vague on what he would like to do. So maybe Detroit is going to use both 4-3 and 3-4 sets, and a player like Barr would be a perfect fit for what he wants to do.

It would be nice if Detroit actually mixed up between 4-3 and 3-4 looks and threw offenses off a little bit instead of the same old wide nine and rush 4 every time like last year. Not sure who would play NT for us in the 3-4, maybe Fairley if he doesn't lose any weight. :lol:

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be thrilled with Barr at #10.

I'm not sure where he'd wind up- DE, OLB, maybe both in a hybrid role?

Definitely would be a great pick-up for our defense.

What do you think about Van Noy, TPaul?

I was thinking a Gilbert/Van Noy or a Dennard/Van Noy draft would also look nice.

If they went Barr in round1. Barr/T.Brooks (FSU)

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Van Noy would be a solid OLB for us. He's got good instincts, is a good athlete, and can rush the passer as well as drop into coverage.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think about Van Noy, TPaul?

I was thinking a Gilbert/Van Noy or a Dennard/Van Noy draft would also look nice.

If they went Barr in round1. Barr/T.Brooks (FSU)

Gilbert/van noy equals playoff team..especially if they can trade down a few spots then draft gilbert. A man can dream.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilbert/van noy equals playoff team..especially if they can trade down a few spots then draft gilbert. A man can dream.

Just got a feeling if they want Gilbert. They will need to draft him at #10. When it comes to prospects, he has great tape, measureables and seems humble. Wouldn't be shocked if they went Gilbert or Dennard at #10.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unfortunately, I don't think any rookie corner makes a team a playoff team.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, I don't think any rookie corner makes a team a playoff team.

Unfortunately, neither do any current Lions corners. :bawling:

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, neither do any current Lions corners. :bawling:

True. I'm not against drafting corner in round 1, just saying they usually don't offer great impact in year 1.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. I'm not against drafting corner in round 1, just saying they usually don't offer great impact in year 1.

I don't disagree. A quick study of all of last years CB's taken teaches us that the best one was ATL's Desmond Trufant (1s round, pick 22) followed by Dee Milliner (1st round, pick 9) who started to pick things up at the end of the year.

Most rookies don't turn teams with top 10 picks into playoff teams. But if the Lions think they can coach/groom one of these corners into an effective 16 game starter, they'll have to really be in love with someone else to pass them up.

2 INT, 33 sacks speaks for itself. The Lions simply cannot go into 2014 with the same corners and expect anything different.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 INT, 33 sacks speaks for itself. The Lions simply cannot go into 2014 with the same corners and expect anything different.

The Lions cant expect Chris Houston to play like he did in 2010, 2011, 2012? The Lions cant expect their young players to progress? Because I think they can expect those things.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions cant expect Chris Houston to play like he did in 2010, 2011, 2012? The Lions cant expect their young players to progress? Because I think they can expect those things.

Why are you leaving out 2013 when he was benched??

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like some steam is picking up with the Lions possibly drafting Barr at 10. Let's say they do, where does he play? LE or OLB? Would be rotate with James Jones or replace Palmer?

I still think he gets snagged by a 3-4 team, but the Lions might like him if they think he can be a better Cliff Avril, or rush LB in this new defense.

If they draft Barr, I'll guess that it would be with the intention of playing LB. They had to love seeing what Levy did last year behind our new look line. Imagine another strong OLB back there with Levy. Could be cool.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they draft Barr, I'll guess that it would be with the intention of playing LB.

I actually think he they draft him -- he will be used as both a LB and a DE. I think he'd be more effective as a DE, as shedding blocks isn't his strong suit. I think he could be lethal on the end using his speed.

That being said -- Clowney had his pro day and they said he put on another freak show. After reading that article about Ansah yesterday and with the loss of Willie Young -- I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the Lions try to trade up for him.

I'm still trying to figure out who the Lions are trying to trade up for. Could be Clowney or Mack? I just cannot grasp the Lions trading up to grab a WR, but stranger things have happened, so who knows? I am damn sure I would be celebrating in the street if the Lions traded up and took Clowney or Mack. :laugh3: If we only have to give up a 3rd round pick to do so -- I would celebrate naked in the street!!!!

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That being said -- Clowney had his pro day and they said he put on another freak show. After reading that article about Ansah yesterday and with the loss of Willie Young -- I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the Lions try to trade up for him.

yodadagobah.jpg

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney fits the bill of an elite talent. On Detroit, he wouldn't be double teamed every play, as he was at South Carolina, as with Suh on the line with him, he will take up a lot of those. When you add in Ansah and Fairley -- they have a chance to be a really dominate DL and could help hide some of the deficiencies in the secondary by getting to the QB quickly.