• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maloney's rare no-hitter

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's RARE color footage of the 1965 no-hitter that Jim Maloney threw in Chicago.

A couple of things. It's an hour, starting in the 8th inning of the 10-inning game. Cubs announcers.

So settle back and just watch it. There are points that you will notice that make you go "hmmmmm."

Remember the time, a day game, first game of a DH, it's the Cubs ... and some of the greatest players in baseball history are in this game.

I intend to watch it several times.

ENJOY

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks John, that made my day. Maloney has always been one of my favorite Reds pitchers. He really had to work for that one 187 pitches and 10 walks. I noticed that they bunted a lot back then, much more than they do now. Also the game moved quicker then.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the decision to hit for Kessinger in the 9th was all right but then they let the pitcher bat right after that, even though 2 guys had been warming up. Plus the hitter for Kessinger stayed in the game anyhow. (No double switches.) I just thought that whole setup was weird. Real weird.

The part about that that amazed me mostly was that the announcers didn't even mention it. It was as if that was to be expected -- the pitcher hitting with 2 out in the 9th with the winning run on base in a 0-0 tie. Sending the guy back out there ... yeah, that worked. But the announcers in those days didn't question the team. It just wasn't done.

Maloney's comments at the end are interesting. He didn't even get a chance to think about the interview.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odd, one of the modern complaints is the slow pace of the game, even though the DH, PED's and diluted pitching all leverages offense, but slows the game. They did bunt more back in the day, there was more pitching than hitting, and managers had to manage the game more. Hitters weren't allowed to step out after every pitch and take 30 seconds to adjust every piece of accessories they have on, either. There weren't 5 pitching changes in the last 3 innings. There was no video replay or TV commercial stalls.

The DH has not only decreased managing, with fewer PH, fewer bunts, but there are fewer steals and attempts to hit behind the runner too, standing and waiting for the 3 run HR... and with inter league play, even the NL has a DH much of the time now.

I'm a fan of good baseball like music lovers are find of music. In that context, much of the game is noise, not music now. Are there more no hitters now ? I honestly don't know, but suspect the current offensive bias might be compensated by the power priority that results in more strikeouts. 4 man rotations, high pitch and innings totals didnt help prevent injuries, but arms are still blown all the time now, the surgery is just better.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason I can come up with for Stewart hitting for Kissinger is that he wanted a lefty hitter. If he hit from the left side. (I am sorry to say I didn't pay attention enough to notice , but I thought he did. Plus the Chicago pitcher was having a pretty solid game in his own right

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason I can come up with for Stewart hitting for Kissinger is that he wanted a lefty hitter. If he hit from the left side. (I am sorry to say I didn't pay attention enough to notice , but I thought he did. Plus the Chicago pitcher was having a pretty solid game in his own right

I agree that the pitcher was throwing a shutout, but they needed a hit to win the game.
Even if they don't, the guy was going into the 10th inning. They had 2 relievers warming up and didn't even consider a PH. I thought it was weird.

Loved the way Maloney went into the quick stretch. You can't do that today.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also in the top of the ninth, two balls were hit hard to the wall, which tells me the Reds were starting to zero in on his pitches.

Anyone who doesn't watch that video is missing out on a real treat.