• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Making the Jump to a Nice Private Course

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not bad form there. Maybe your shoulders are open a bit? Square them up or feel like they are closed.. along with hips and feet. if not this might be a grip issue

Not me...just a facebook pic.

No way he hit a draw while casting the club like that!

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks pretty nice. Before you pull trigger see if they have a good game/group on weekends within your handicap. My old place had a helluva game for scratch players and even though my new place has a lot of good players, the groups have a hard time getting together.

Already a member...they have a Tuesday league me and my friend will likely play in and lots of handicapped tourneys throughout the year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter where you hit it, the entire game comes down to 4 ft putts. Imagine your scoring if you never again missed a 4 footer.

IF you can get off the tee with only one stroke the majority of the round...the game sure does come down to a relatively small pc of real estate.

The saying drive for show, putt for dough I think applies to players that can get off the tee more so than the guy shooting 110.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently this company Premire Arials does high quality fly-over pics of golf courses. I found these of Wyantenuck on their website. The quality sucks cause I had to snip them but still, here's my new course:

Relatively easy par 4 3rd.

sKrZo8V.jpg

Very challenging up hill dogleg right par 4 4th.

diQRdNY.jpg

Lengthy downhill par 5 5th.

5OCBkBu.jpg

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At center is the uphill par 5 8th.

HTY53RU.jpg

The par 3 9th at the top of the hill.

3QKDQ55.jpg

Short downhill par 4 10th.

6w5VpNp.jpg

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Downhill par 11th and clubhouse & pool.

8khSveu.jpg

Arial view of the property.

vncnZ5G.jpg

....I'm psycho every spring but this year it's quite silly.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what it's like to be a good golfer, got down to a 6 at one time. But I could never handle tree lined mountain courses like this one. Tight is one thing but thick trees like this course has, with no chance to find your errant shot let alone hit a recovery shot, are brutally hard and they always kicked my ass.

Wedges and putting are keys obviously but not sure I agree with your thought that it's 95% of golf. Not on a course like this one. You can putt lights out but nothing kills your day like hitting 3 off the tee.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what it's like to be a good golfer, got down to a 6 at one time. But I could never handle tree lined mountain courses like this one. Tight is one thing but thick trees like this course has, with no chance to find your errant shot let alone hit a recovery shot, are brutally hard and they always kicked my ass.

Wedges and putting are keys obviously but not sure I agree with your thought that it's 95% of golf. Not on a course like this one. You can putt lights out but nothing kills your day like hitting 3 off the tee.

Anybody anywhere near a 6 handicap should have no trouble with a 1 side wooded fairway.
This look like it's set up so you can bail on the opposite side. It may be a real shit lie but it's not a lost ball.

And let's say you don't hit 1 green in regulation. If your chipping and putting is really sharp ..it's only 2 strokes to get up and down. But if you had to chip and 2 putt every green to get up and down .... add extra 18 strokes.

Chipping and putting cannot be overstated.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody anywhere near a 6 handicap should have no trouble with a 1 side wooded fairway.
This look like it's set up so you can bail on the opposite side. It may be a real shit lie but it's not a lost ball.

And let's say you don't hit 1 green in regulation. If your chipping and putting is really sharp ..it's only 2 strokes to get up and down. But if you had to chip and 2 putt every green to get up and down .... add extra 18 strokes.

Chipping and putting cannot be overstated.

Oh I totally agree chipping and putting are the most important part. But 95%? Not when errant tee shots count double with lost balls/OB. You don't have a chance if you are leaving the tee box after hitting your third shot or if you are constantly chipping back out into the fairway and hoping to keep it to just a bogey.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would totally destroy the clubhouse on 11.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most courses I play in GA are very much like this one...except this one has no houses which I like a lot.

Hitting 3 off the tee a few times will kill most rounds. The lowest index I've carried was 8.4...(I'd kill for it now) a 6 shouldn't have too much problem off the tee on this course imo.

Now...a 18-20 index playing a power fade will have problems playing to his index there.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most courses I play in GA are very much like this one...except this one has no houses which I like a lot.

Hitting 3 off the tee a few times will kill most rounds. The lowest index I've carried was 8.4...(I'd kill for it now) a 6 shouldn't have too much problem off the tee on this course imo.

Now...a 18-20 index playing a power fade will have problems playing to his index there.

I am the poster boy for how the handicap system is not always accurate. That 6 was legit, on days when I only played 9 I kept the score and combined it with my next 9 holes to get a score to post, so ever shot was recorded.

The problem is as you know they only record your top 9 out of 20 or whatever it is. You can also only post a 6 as your highest score on a hole. I got there by playing hard courses and shooting low scores, but that only happened half the time. The 86 that I would shoot was thrown out, and that happened often. In addition with OB right and left on a few holes there were a number of times when I would lose one out of bounds and still record a 6 when it was really like a 7 or 8 sometimes.

So as a result when I got matched up with a legit 6 there was a 50% chance that I'd not shoot my number, so I constantly lost.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am the poster boy for how the handicap system is not always accurate. That 6 was legit, on days when I only played 9 I kept the score and combined it with my next 9 holes to get a score to post, so ever shot was recorded.

The problem is as you know they only record your top 9 out of 20 or whatever it is. You can also only post a 6 as your highest score on a hole. I got there by playing hard courses and shooting low scores, but that only happened half the time. The 86 that I would shoot was thrown out, and that happened often. In addition with OB right and left on a few holes there were a number of times when I would lose one out of bounds and still record a 6 when it was really like a 7 or 8 sometimes.

So as a result when I got matched up with a legit 6 there was a 50% chance that I'd not shoot my number, so I constantly lost.

ESC will hide your true index for a while, but if you're playing a coupla times a week...it will start to reflect where your game is. If you only play once a week...it can take a while for those low scores to roll off.

Where you play definitely legitimizes or inflates your index...my home course is a tight little par 71...6600+/- but it's a 135 slope...not every hole is tight, but the avg. bogey golfer I play with that's doesn't play there a lot struggles to break 90.

On the flip, if you are a bogey golfer there, you will probably shoot...85-86 on most other courses.

Handicaps can really be deceiving...I'm a 14 at my home course, but it's built on the blue tee box, 131 slope. I entered a AGA tourney once with my legit 14 index...we played white tees on a course with a 125 slope...I shot an 82 and felt like I should've shot 78.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESC will hide your true index for a while, but if you're playing a coupla times a week...it will start to reflect where your game is. If you only play once a week...it can take a while for those low scores to roll off.

Where you play definitely legitimizes or inflates your index...my home course is a tight little par 71...6600+/- but it's a 135 slope...not every hole is tight, but the avg. bogey golfer I play with that's doesn't play there a lot struggles to break 90.

On the flip, if you are a bogey golfer there, you will probably shoot...85-86 on most other courses.

Handicaps can really be deceiving...I'm a 14 at my home course, but it's built on the blue tee box, 131 slope. I entered a AGA tourney once with my legit 14 index...we played white tees on a course with a 125 slope...I shot an 82 and felt like I should've shot 78.

I get why they want to give you a break by throwing out bad scores. But it really isn't right for people like me who could go low half the time but the other half all Hell would break loose. The key as you say is playing hard courses. If you are playing a muni with a slope of 120 I had to shoot 75 to break even.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get why they want to give you a break by throwing out bad scores. But it really isn't right for people like me who could go low half the time but the other half all Hell would break loose. The key as you say is playing hard courses. If you are playing a muni with a slope of 120 I had to shoot 75 to break even.

Well...the system is supposed to take the 10 best scores of your most recent 20 rounds.

Even when I was a single digit...I would still shoot a high 80 or low 90 at least once every 10 rounds, but most of my scores would be 79 to 85...pretty easy to kick that 89 or 92 out. But if the 89 or 92 was 10 out of every 20 rounds...some of those high scores would have to stick and impact the index.

So logically your feast or famine game should push that 6 higher eventually...still nice to have that feast game though.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...the system is supposed to take the 10 best scores of your most recent 20 rounds.

Even when I was a single digit...I would still shoot a high 80 or low 90 at least once every 10 rounds, but most of my scores would be 79 to 85...pretty easy to kick that 89 or 92 out. But if the 89 or 92 was 10 out of every 20 rounds...some of those high scores would have to stick and impact the index.

So logically your feast or famine game should push that 6 higher eventually...still nice to have that feast game though.

No the 6 was including all of my ups and downs. Again this was years ago but I was playing pretty regularly for a working guy, maybe 27-36 holes a week. That was my final handicap at the end of the year, seemed to stay in range most of the summer. It would go up as the good rounds eventually dropped off, but all I had to do was shoot an 81 on a slope of 136 and it was back down again.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No the 6 was including all of my ups and downs. Again this was years ago but I was playing pretty regularly for a working guy, maybe 27-36 holes a week. That was my final handicap at the end of the year, seemed to stay in range most of the summer. It would go up as the good rounds eventually dropped off, but all I had to do was shoot an 81 on a slope of 136 and it was back down again.

They go down a lot faster than they go up unless your game just falls off the map...you said it best...playing 27-36 holes a week is pretty vital to playing to a single digit hdcp. I'm good to get in 18 and a couple of hours at the range right now...hoping to rig the hours at work to start getting out early on Fri and get in at least 9 prior to my regular game on the weekend.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never been a play-every-day dude 'cause I do so many other things but with summers off and this new course to play, I may turn into that dude!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never been a play-every-day dude 'cause I do so many other things but with summers off and this new course to play, I may turn into that dude!

If I had summers off, I'd be a single digit again....maybe!...lol

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm taking deep breaths 'cause I'm so excited.

Hey, if any of you guys are near SW MA in the Southern Berkshires this summer, I'd love to invite you to play a round.