• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maiocco: Culliver will compete for job at cornerback, not safety

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I seriously don't get the thinking behind this unless the Niners are confident Culliver can be better than Brown & Rogers were last year. I think it's possible, but it's a lot on which to bank when he's coming off an ACL tear.

If, on the other hand, Culliver isn't a starter at CB, I don' see why they wouldn't want to get him on the field at safety.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never know what can happen. In 1986, the preaseason projected starters at cornerback were Tory Nixon and some dude from the USFL. By the start of the season two rookies were starting at CB, Tim Mckyer and Don Griffin.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Never know what can happen. In 1986, the preaseason projected starters at cornerback were Tory Nixon and some dude from the USFL. By the start of the season two rookies were starting at CB, Tim Mckyer and Don Griffin.

My point wasn't so much about who's going to be the starting CBs; it was about the fact that they're not going to try Culliver at safety. The only way that makes sense, IMO, is if they envision him as a (1) a starting CB in 2014 and (2) better than guy he's replacing. That's asking a bit much from a guy coming off an ACL tear and zero starting experience IMO.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point wasn't so much about who's going to be the starting CBs; it was about the fact that they're not going to try Culliver at safety. The only way that makes sense, IMO, is if they envision him as a (1) a starting CB in 2014 and (2) better than guy he's replacing. That's asking a bit much from a guy coming off an ACL tear and zero starting experience IMO.

Well he did play 75% of the snaps in 2012. He was a de facto starter since we play nickle most of the time. Just because he isn't listed as a starter doesn't mean he doesn't have starting experience. Now the coming back from the ACL thing worries me but he will be a year + removed from the injury when the season starts.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well he did play 75% of the snaps in 2012. He was a de facto starter since we play nickle most of the time. Just because he isn't listed as a starter doesn't mean he doesn't have starting experience. Now the coming back from the ACL thing worries me but he will be a year + removed from the injury when the season starts.

The problem with this rationale is that Culliver only played in nickel situations. That's different from being the starting CB in all situations.

Culliver's at the very top of my list of players I want the Niners to sign long term, and I think it's realistic that he could develop into a good starting CB. But in 2014 that's a lot to expect of a guy coming off that bad of an injury IMO. I mean even Darrelle Revis didn't play up to his usual standard coming off an ACL tear. He still played very well, but when you consider Culliver you have to realize he's no Darrelle Revis,

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with this rationale is that Culliver only played in nickel situations. That's different from being the starting CB in all situations.

Culliver's at the very top of my list of players I want the Niners to sign long term, and I think it's realistic that he could develop into a good starting CB. But in 2014 that's a lot to expect of a guy coming off that bad of an injury IMO. I mean even Darrelle Revis didn't play up to his usual standard coming off an ACL tear. He still played very well, but when you consider Culliver you have to realize he's no Darrelle Revis,

True he came in nickel situations but we were almost always in nickel so I don't believe it's a stretch to think that he could start. And it's not like he played the slot in nickle he was the RCB so that experience should suffice. As long as he is a somewhat willing tackler in the run game I don't worry about his experience.

S/N I would worry much more if he played safety which he actually has zero playing experience in the NFL at. I do agree with you about the ACL though if their is a worry it's with the ACL

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
S/N I would worry much more if he played safety which he actually has zero playing experience in the NFL at. I do agree with you about the ACL though if their is a worry it's with the ACL

He does have zero starting NFL experience at safety, but safety isn't exactly the hardest role for an inexperienced player to fill (see Eric Reid). He does have experience playing safety in college.

Maybe they just don't think he hits hard enough to be a safety. I don't know.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does have zero starting NFL experience at safety, but safety isn't exactly the hardest role for an inexperienced player to fill (see Eric Reid). He does have experience playing safety in college.

Is it a forgone conclusion Brown is gone?

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He isn't a NFL safety I mean he could be but he would have to bulk up a bit and I don't remember his tackling abilities but I would say they are lacking for a safety. Also while it is an "easier" position then corner the angles are totally different. Plus Michael Crabtree has experience playing High School QB but I wouldn't want him to be the QB for the 49ers.

S/N are you going to participate in the Mock Draft War Room?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Plus Michael Crabtree has experience playing High School QB but I wouldn't want him to be the QB for the 49ers.

S/N are you going to participate in the Mock Draft War Room?

Am I S/N? If no so no I'm not. I post enough about the draft; I figure I'll let others take a crack at it.

As far as Crabby playing QB in high school I think that's a little different than being a starting safety in the SEC.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I S/N? If no so no I'm not. I post enough about the draft; I figure I'll let others take a crack at it.

As far as Crabby playing QB in high school I think that's a little different than being a starting safety in the SEC.

S/N = Side Note not Sickness Niner and I can respect that.

Yes it is different but the gist is the same. Crabtree is a better WR than QB and Cully is a better CB than S at least at this stage of his career.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am i wrong in thinking the only reason Rodgers wasnt made to take a pay cut last year was because Cully got a season ending injury?
If thats the case then it stands to reason that the 49ers have faith in Cully that he can step in and be a guy that they can depend on. He is young with a lot potential. There is no question that with the help needed a CB this year that he was gunna be a guy the are depending on at CB.
I am surprised that people were seriously expecting or hoping that he would return at Safety. That just doesnt make sense to me at all.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rogers needs to go or take a big paycut. Word is 49ers asked him to take a 4 million a year pay cut.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rogers needs to go or take a big paycut. Word is 49ers asked him to take a 4 million a year pay cut.
He is my scapegoat for the NFCCG. I really dont want him back. That TD on him was just inexcusable. How he didnt at least get a hand on that ball.. I am still shocked.
It wasnt just the NFCCG either it seemed like he was getting beat like a drum all season. So long Rogers! as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would take a paycut if I believed my seating position was reasonably safe (nothing is guaranteed) - but a paycut that makes it easier to keep me as a backup? Not unless I thought no one else could let me compete to be starter. Right now, I'd keep a start me or cut me (or trade) contract like Alex Smith took (that high of pay for a backup is possible but unlikely). One consideration is Culliver's durability as a paycut is ok if one could start.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take a paycut if I believed my seating position was reasonably safe (nothing is guaranteed) - but a paycut that makes it easier to keep me as a backup? Not unless I thought no one else could let me compete to be starter. Right now, I'd keep a start me or cut me (or trade) contract like Alex Smith took (that high of pay for a backup is possible but unlikely). One consideration is Culliver's durability as a paycut is ok if one could start.

No paycut, he will be cut.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No paycut, he will be cut.

What he is making now minus 4 million and backup job (loss of the opportunity to audition for future years, though unlikely) > what he could make elsewhere as starter (or better chance at competing for) this year?

Genuine question because I'm not into defense that much. I just feel that if he makes what he is now, he's starter. If they cut money, he could be backup easier. Why do that if the above equation isn't true. (Or is it?)

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What he is making now minus 4 million and backup job (loss of the opportunity to audition for future years, though unlikely) > what he could make elsewhere as starter (or better chance at competing for) this year?

Genuine question because I'm not into defense that much. I just feel that if he makes what he is now, he's starter. If they cut money, he could be backup easier. Why do that if the above equation isn't true. (Or is it?)

His market would be around the 4 million range since he has been a starter and he is a NFL vet. The thing is no team would sign him for more then 1 year. But as others have stated I don't want him back because if he does come back he will play the nickle at least and I don't want him on the field.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah I just don't see how he'd be kept around as a backup for us. He went from an all star to a major weak link and should only keep getting worse at this point in his career. But some team will take a flyer out of desperation and start him.