• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maiocco: Culliver will compete for job at cornerback, not safety

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I figured this deserves its own thread, since Cully is a hot-button topic for all of us. This hopefully should not change our draft needs. There is too much CB talent in the draft to pass up on and a safety should be drafted no matter what happens with Whitner.

Culliver will compete for job at cornerback, not safety | CSN Bay Area

There’s been absolutely no discussion relative to (moving Culliver to safety),” Baalke said Friday at the NFL Scouting Combine. “And I don’t know why we even would discuss it. We feel awfully good about him as a corner. It's a tough position to find. And when you find a good, young one, you keep him where he’s comfortable. And that’s where he’s most comfortable.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Culliver will be our #3. Brock as our #1 or #2 and then whoever we drat or sign as a FA as our #2. Wright will be picked up as our #4.

Rogers gets cut and Brown signs elsewhere.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Culliver will be our #3. Brock as our #1 or #2 and then whoever we drat or sign as a FA as our #2. Wright will be picked up as our #4.

Rogers gets cut and Brown signs elsewhere.

I doubt we will be starting a rookie CB, but I could be wrong.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like keeping Cully at CB right now. No problem drafting two CB's this year and letting the chips fall where they may. If Cully gets beat out or lost a step we can always slot him to S next year after these guys learn the system. Need to throw everything at CB this year and see what sticks with Rogers going bye bye. Safety will need to be addressed, but it's a way lower concern at this point.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like keeping Cully at CB right now. No problem drafting two CB's this year and letting the chips fall where they may. If Cully gets beat out or lost a step we can always slot him to S next year after these guys learn the system. Need to throw everything at CB this year and see what sticks with Rogers going bye bye. Safety will need to be addressed, but it's a way lower concern at this point.

I agree we need to go all in on CB. Its a Deep WR class so I hope we land Gilbert or Dannard at CB. We can grab a WR in the 2nd rd or trade back into the 1st to grab a WR.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd take a talented rookie CB starting over a crappy FA CB any day. We'll see what they do in FA, but I just don't see us breaking the bank for a CB in FA this year. Whoever we draft will benefit from a good pass rush, and won't be left on an island against #1 WR's. He won't get thrown to the wolves like Peterson did when he came into the league.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

agree.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
More signs pointing to Whitner coming back. :gaah:

This is the wrong Donte! Less Whitner more Moncrief!

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't matter who plays Corner if the 49ers continue to play their Corners the way they do where they just keep backing up and then make the tckle after the receiver makes the catch. They just play way too conservatively. When is the last time you saw a 49er Corner make a break on the ball and break up a pass?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Other than losing to the Seahawks, this is by far the worse news of 2014.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BINGO idk why you so hard on Cully and he is are best DB hands down he doseall the heavy lifting on are team I think Brock is a slot. Cully will start this year and will not get toasted like brown. Long as he leaves I'm OK

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than losing to the Seahawks, this is by far the worse news of 2014.

Explain why? Yea he wasn't great in the Super Bowl. Guess what nobody on out d was. Especially since it was our "strong Suit". His gay comments pissed me off but I think he has a great shot at earning a starting role. I just think you hate him too much that you think he has no chance.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cully is a good CB. He is better then Brown and Rogers and Wright. I think Brock is better.

49ers need to go all in on CB in the draft or FA. If through the draft I want Gilbert or Dennard.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It doesn't matter who plays Corner if the 49ers continue to play their Corners the way they do where they just keep backing up and then make the tckle after the receiver makes the catch. They just play way too conservatively. When is the last time you saw a 49er Corner make a break on the ball and break up a pass?

Tramone Brock has done it a few times last season.

But your point is taken that our CB's do tend to play pretty far off the WR's. Seems like its been that way forever.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tramone Brock has done it a few times last season.

But your point is taken that our CB's do tend to play pretty far off the WR's. Seems like its been that way forever.

I think Brock caused the Candlepick 6.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Brock. I think he can be a solid #1 but a great #2 for us.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello optimism.

If Brock were solid #1 material the Niners wouldn't have been able to sign him for like 4 million a season.

dent make much sense. He got a big raise with his new contract. The kid is talented.