• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking back on a decade of Simon Gagne in the orange and black

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gagne will be missed, that is for sure. It really is pretty rare these days to see a player drafted by a team and play for that same team for 10+ years. You grow attached to a player that you've seen score so many goals for so many years.

However, for whatever reason, he has been prone to injury as of late and his postseason numbers just don't match his regular season numbers. His defense is statistically much worse and his offensive numbers go way down in the playoffs. It may be difficult to believe, but I'm looking at his stats right now and those are just the facts.

Despite all of that, I would definitely have kept Gagne here if he was willing to take a pay cut to stay for the rest of his career, but it just didn't happen. That leads me to believe that the Flyers knew he was likely going to test free agency after next season and then they'd lose him for nothing. It that case, this trade had to happen. I am surprised that we couldn't get more for him although he is likely just a rental.

I wish him the best of luck moving forward. I blame him for nothing and have a lot of respect for him. He'll probably have a career year next season in Tampa if he stays healthy, as even they are capable of stacking two lines, one of which Gagne will be a part of. If he's out there with Lecavalier and St. Louis, you have to think he will absolutely light it up.