• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lonzo Ball

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup....the guy is a tool. He has already cost his kid millions and he has not even been drafted yet.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

Unprecedented for a players who's unanimously a top 2 pick in a loaded draft to be rejected by the 3 major sports brands for endorsement deals.

Feel bad for Lonzo. I think he has a chance to be a great player, but he's going to miss out at least initially on a ton of sponsorships.

Lavar needs to go to business school. His first and biggest flaw is: there is no demand for your product. You have to cultivate something that people want first and not the other way around. Lonzo has no clout right now. He hasn't step foot on an NBA court. If he came out with a shoe tomorrow, who would buy it? I mean if you had two products of equal value and quality, one with Lonzo's name attached to it and the other say Lebron or KD or Curry, or hell even Kawhi Leonard, who are you going to buy?

What Lavar should have done, is to promote his son FIRST as a player. Build up that household recognition, basing it off his merits. Then when he becomes as successful as you think he can be, then branch out by building upon HIS brand. By then he'd have a following of supporters. You could then find financial backers to support an independent line. Right now no one's going to invest in him because it's a poor risk. In addition to it being a total crapshoot over success, there's no diversification plan. Is he planning on getting other athletes on board? Who would want to join him when you have Nike, UA and Adidas knocking at your door.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

Unprecedented for a players who's unanimously a top 2 pick in a loaded draft to be rejected by the 3 major sports brands for endorsement deals.

Feel bad for Lonzo. I think he has a chance to be a great player, but he's going to miss out at least initially on a ton of sponsorships.

Lavar needs to go to business school. His first and biggest flaw is: there is no demand for your product. You have to cultivate something that people want first and not the other way around. Lonzo has no clout right now. He hasn't step foot on an NBA court. If he came out with a shoe tomorrow, who would buy it? I mean if you had two products of equal value and quality, one with Lonzo's name attached to it and the other say Lebron or KD or Curry, or hell even Kawhi Leonard, who are you going to buy?

What Lavar should have done, is to promote his son FIRST as a player. Build up that household recognition, basing it off his merits. Then when he becomes as successful as you think he can be, then branch out by building upon HIS brand. By then he'd have a following of supporters. You could then find financial backers to support an independent line. Right now no one's going to invest in him because it's a poor risk. In addition to it being a total crapshoot over success, there's no diversification plan. Is he planning on getting other athletes on board? Who would want to join him when you have Nike, UA and Adidas knocking at your door.

I wouldn't buy any of it, but hey, that's just me.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Ball's dad is doing him more harm than good. Got to think eventually Lonzo's going to tell his Dad to quiet down.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

Exactly. Wait until Lonzo does something in the NBA (or hell, at least gets drafted) and they would go to him looking to outbid each other.

First thing Lonzo needs to do when he gets drafted is fire his Dad. lol

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is so confident in his son then these rejections by the big companies shouldn't worry him. Now you just promote their own brand as its own brand, build the shoe yourself, market him to wear the brand and single handily build the brand up yourself. IF this guy is as good as his dad claims him to be, within 5 years those shoes, brand, clothing line, etc. will be worth millions upon millions and you just have each of your kids wear and sponsor the brand as they too become legends on the court.

Of course, this only works if Ball is as good as his dad claims him to be.

Reactions: TJL

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure triple B or whatever the hell it's called will rival those guys soon enough.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure triple B or whatever the hell it's called will rival those guys soon enough.
This Mutherfucker better be glad that some of the NBA's best talkers have hung up their gym shorts.

Imagine the shit Bird, Jordan, Kobe, Gary Payton, Reggie Miller would have said to Lonzo, as they torched his ass on the court.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Wait until Lonzo does something in the NBA (or hell, at least gets drafted) and they would go to him looking to outbid each other.

First thing Lonzo needs to do when he gets drafted is fire his Dad. lol
....gonna be hard to do if he goes to the Lakers.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....gonna be hard to do if he goes to the Lakers.

If the Lakers get to keep their pick, I'm hoping they package it and a young guy not named Brandon Ingram and send it to Indy for PG-13. That would get the Lakers a star and keep LaVar the hell away from the team.

#2birds1stone

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers get to keep their pick, I'm hoping they package it and a young guy not named Brandon Ingram and send it to Indy for PG-13. That would get the Lakers a star and keep LaVar the hell away from the team.

#2birds1stone
Lakers tried the young route and building through the draft. It has resulted in miserable seasons.

It is time for the Lakers to be the Lakers. Trade that top end pick and start building their franchise through free agency and trades. I hate the Lakers, but the league needs them to be relevant.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers tried the young route and building through the draft. It has resulted in miserable seasons.

Yes and no. The Lakers knew when they made the Dwight/Nash deal that they were going to be in deep serious trouble for a few years if it didn't work out. Obviously, it didn't.

They've done fine acquiring young talent through the draft. The problem was they had an idiot in the front office and didn't get a decent coach to develop the young talent until they hired Luke.

Now that they have Luke and a front office that has an actual direction and plan, they should be okay in a couple of seasons. For now, I'm just happy that there is a clear direction.

It is time for the Lakers to be the Lakers. Trade that top end pick and start building their franchise through free agency and trades. I hate the Lakers, but the league needs them to be relevant.

I tend to agree. The Lakers have always built through a combination of the draft, FA and trades. They have acquired some good young talent through the draft. Now maybe they can package a pick and a player.

Doing much in FA will be difficult because Short Buss left them hamstrung with the Deng and Mozgov deals.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#2birds1stone
Tell you what - Brandon Ingram - is not as good as Paul George was in his first year - I would gladly trade any two young ones for George and then packaged Mozgov or Deng as a filler to make the salaries match and just like that the Lakers would have plenty of salary under the cap for one free agent signing. It would be a small price to get the Lakers back into the playoffs.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be a shame when Lavar starts his own brand and ultimately ends up having his younger sons disqualified from playing in college.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He picked the wrong year to LARP as a celebrity. That fad is over.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell you what - Brandon Ingram - is not as good as Paul George was in his first year - I would gladly trade any two young ones for George and then packaged Mozgov or Deng as a filler to make the salaries match and just like that the Lakers would have plenty of salary under the cap for one free agent signing. It would be a small price to get the Lakers back into the playoffs.

Actually, PG-13's numbers from his rookie season weren't that much better than Ingram.

PG-13 averaged 7.8 points on 45% shooting from the field and 30% from 3, 76% free throws, 3.7 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 1.0 steals and 1.1 turnovers

Ingram averaged 9.4 points on 41% shooting from the field, 29% from 3, 62% free throws, 4.0 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 0.6 steals and 1.5 turnovers.

To be fair, Ingram played in more games and averaged more minutes per game than PG-13 did in his rookie season. Ingram started slowly, but was playing much better and shot 51% and averaged 13.4 points per game over the last few weeks of the season.

Also, unless the Lakers can somehow convince another team that Mozgov and/or Deng are going to make some kind of huge improvement next season, no one is taking those contracts with 3 years left on them. Imo, the absolute best that the Lakers can hope for is one of 3 things:

1.) One or both of them retire which, if I understand it correctly, wouldn't provide any cap relief until after next season and only if no other team picks them up.

2.) They play well enough this coming season that the Lakers are able to find a trade partner.

3.) They can trade one or both of them after the 2019 season when they will both be expiring contracts.

I don't know if the Lakers have a stretch provision left. If they do and they stretch one of them, then that would provide some cap relief. But I don't know if it would create enough cap space to allow the Lakers to bring in a max level FA.

Basically, Short Buss' attempt to save he and Mitch's jobs has hamstrung the Lakers for at least the next 2 years when it comes to the cap. They have enough cap space to sign a solid FA or 2, but not enough to land a star.

It really looks like their best bet for getting PG-13 would be to keep their top 3 pick and package it with a young guy (preferably not Ingram) in a trade.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, PG-13's numbers from his rookie season weren't that much better than Ingram.

PG-13 averaged 7.8 points on 45% shooting from the field and 30% from 3, 76% free throws, 3.7 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 1.0 steals and 1.1 turnovers

Ingram averaged 9.4 points on 41% shooting from the field, 29% from 3, 62% free throws, 4.0 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 0.6 steals and 1.5 turnovers.

To be fair, Ingram played in more games and averaged more minutes per game than PG-13 did in his rookie season. Ingram started slowly, but was playing much better and shot 51% and averaged 13.4 points per game over the last few weeks of the season.

Also, unless the Lakers can somehow convince another team that Mozgov and/or Deng are going to make some kind of huge improvement next season, no one is taking those contracts with 3 years left on them. Imo, the absolute best that the Lakers can hope for is one of 3 things:

1.) One or both of them retire which, if I understand it correctly, wouldn't provide any cap relief until after next season and only if no other team picks them up.

2.) They play well enough this coming season that the Lakers are able to find a trade partner.

3.) They can trade one or both of them after the 2019 season when they will both be expiring contracts.

I don't know if the Lakers have a stretch provision left. If they do and they stretch one of them, then that would provide some cap relief. But I don't know if it would create enough cap space to allow the Lakers to bring in a max level FA.

Basically, Short Buss' attempt to save he and Mitch's jobs has hamstrung the Lakers for at least the next 2 years when it comes to the cap. They have enough cap space to sign a solid FA or 2, but not enough to land a star.

It really looks like their best bet for getting PG-13 would be to keep their top 3 pick and package it with a young guy (preferably not Ingram) in a trade.

I was thinking that if Paul George really wants out, Indiana might pull the trigger to get him. They could afford to take the hit but would have to take Deng or Mozgov to equal the salaries, but here is the catch

If you are Indiana, you will want two of the Lakers best -not one and while Magic Johnson has talked big about the next three years - the Lakers are most likely screwed for the next two years. As expiring contracts - Deng and Mozgov will become valuable in June of 2019.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already ordered a few BBB workout shirts and shorts, and have pre-ordered the shoes.