• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LMAO @ Cary Williams

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwayne Bowe made $9 million to make 3 catches in 5 games for Cleveland so far.

This is why you you're not supposed to keep your GM job in CLE....Bowe, Hartline, Manziel, Justin Gilbert...just 2 big failed FA deals, and 2 failed recent 1st rd picks...could write a book.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice! Shead has filled in decently and if we get rid of Lynch and Graham that's about $25M cap savings in total! We could go after some good free agents and extend Irvin/Bennett/Avril and Baldwin! Might even be able to re-sign Okung.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cary Williams sealed his fate in Philly with fans before he ever stepped foot on the field--he skipped workouts because he said he was "picking sconces," or woodwork trim, for a new house he was building and was too tied up. He never lived that down. His nickname became "sconces". The guy was an OK player for the Ravens but moody and annoying, and he's been collecting checks pretty much ever since.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn't this thread be GM John Schneider sucks?

Cary Williams has been Cary Williams for quite some time and he STILL got paid!
Frank Clark, Tyler Lockett, and Thomas Rawls would disagree. The cap hit this year including signing bonuses for these 4 players combined as less than $6.5 M.
Bigger picture says the moves this year alone dispute your above question.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frank Clark, Tyler Lockett, and Thomas Rawls would disagree. The cap hit this year including signing bonuses for these 4 players combined as less than $6.5 M.
Bigger picture says the moves this year alone dispute your above question.

I think you missed my point with the question...the OP was making Williams out to be such a bad player...my point is he didn't JUST start sucking, so who really looks worse under this light...Williams or the GM.

I hear ya, the results speak for themselves overall...on this particularly one...Williams sucked, but comes out the winner.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why to me teams should be all the more cautious about overpaying for a player on a Championship team or one that just all of a sudden had a couple of good games at big moments yet the rest of their career doesn't show a whole lot. Joe Flacco was definitely not the only Ravens player to turn a Super Bowl victory into a huge contract beyond what they had truly shown on the field. Williams only became a starter in 2012 and was average at best. In the playoffs though he had 2 key plays to help seal victory. Those 2 key plays got him a very nice contract twice in this league. Have to see if some team will be willing to make it a 3rd times a charm.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is about more than not being productive on the field.

You don't cut vet CB depth in the middle of a playoff run just because of 10 bad games initially in a new system.

Something had to happen off the field (or on the practice field) for this to happen.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You don't cut vet CB depth in the middle of a playoff run just because of 10 bad games initially in a new system.

Something had to happen off the field (or on the practice field) for this to happen.

I agree and I'm sure something did. His attitude is a "cancer" to any team. His skill isn't at a level to override that.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect ducky is right. I"ll disagree with my Hawks brethren that he was getting 'torched' anyway. He was in position to make plays, but had the misfortune of being up against some QB's playing nearly perfectly. (The game vs Cincy particularly)

I find it interesting that Shead and Lane got 'torched' vs the Steelers, and yet people can see for THEM, that Ben was just throwing some perfect balls, and they actually played pretty well despite the yards given up.

I also find it interesting that Byron Maxwell goes the other way and struggles with the Eagles.

So no, he wasn't worth the $ outlay, but that's what FA starting corners make these days, oh well. But I suspect there's more there than meets the eye, and we may never know what it was, unless some player goes off the reservation with a comment.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My guess is cary acted up about his demotion

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GM's make mistakes. All the time and on every team. Seattle is very quick to admit it and cut their losses. Free agency is a great deal for the players. For teams, not so much. Maybe we should do a thread about biggest busts in free agency. Or biggest trade blunders?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GM's make mistakes. All the time and on every team. Seattle is very quick to admit it and cut their losses. Free agency is a great deal for the players. For teams, not so much. Maybe we should do a thread about biggest busts in free agency. Or biggest trade blunders?

We could do one that you post your team's biggest FA mistake of the last 5 years since that would be a bit more relevant to recent history. Like you said every team has had that mistake that just leaves you shaking your head.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mark of a good GM as Geezer said is to know when you make a mistake and admit it.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why you you're not supposed to keep your GM job in CLE....Bowe, Hartline, Manziel, Justin Gilbert...just 2 big failed FA deals, and 2 failed recent 1st rd picks...could write a book.
At least they made a smart move trading Richardson.........which led to another fail but 50% is good for Cleveland?