• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lionstop1 is The Armchair GM: What the Lions should do at LT.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stand with the group of fans that doesn't believe the Lion's offensive line needs a major overhaul. They just need a tweak here, a tweak there and yes, of course a few more guys. I've determined that the new scheme, youth and injuries were the biggest reasons why the offensive line struggled last year. Plus, Mathew Stafford held on the ball more often over the season. This is definitely not to say the Lions couldn't use a big time o-lineman in the draft but I see a different option.

The Lions should simply move Reiff to the right side and plan on starting Lucas on the left.

Lucas may still be a little raw coming into his second season but I think the upside is there. He's big and good in pass protection, with long arms and average feet. I think with the offseason and the proper coaching, Lucas could be a solid starter. The right side is improved by putting Rieff next to Warford and starting Swanson at center. That leaves LG as a need but the Lions should be able to get a body there. I actually think they have a plan in place to take care of that: They brought in a few guys that are supposed to be late round picks, with huge upside. I know most fans don't like Sims but I'd bring him back on a cheap contract.

My line-up would be: Lucas, (insert name), Swanson, Warford, Rieff

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what I have been saying for quite a while now (except for the Sims part). Once Lucas got his feet straightened out last year he did pretty well.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My line-up would be: Lucas, (insert name), Swanson, Warford, Rieff

Start Lucas at LT cause he played well in one game vs a washed up Jared Allen? That's quite a gamble

Reiff is a Backus clone a 12-20 best LT in the NFL. Not a "hole" but not talented enough to crack the top 5-10 either.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions should simply move Reiff to the right side and plan on starting Lucas on the left.

0% chance of this happening, fantasy booking at best.

Reiff and his agent will not accept a new and lesser contract from the Lions to play RT, especially when plenty of teams will give him LT money to play LT next off season. And especially bowing out to some UFA.

Not happening.

Maybe they move Lucas somewhere after Reiff leaves and the find a new T .

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what I have been saying for quite a while now (except for the Sims part). Once Lucas got his feet straightened out last year he did pretty well.

What they should do here is get that massive LG to plug in next to Lucas. That creates a huge lwft side. I'd like a 3rd guy or maybe Collins if they want a guy early.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start Lucas at LT cause he played well in one game vs a washed up Jared Allen? That's quite a gamble

Reiff is a Backus clone a 12-20 best LT in the NFL. Not a "hole" but not talented enough to crack the top 5-10 either.

My opinion is not based on how Lucas played against Allen, I just think he can handle it if he puts in the work.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To
0% chance of this happening, fantasy booking at best.

Reiff and his agent will not accept a new and lesser contract from the Lions to play RT, especially when plenty of teams will give him LT money to play LT next off season. And especially bowing out to some UFA.

Not happening.

Maybe they move Lucas somewhere after Reiff leaves and the find a new T .

Actually, starting Lucas there is part of the strategy to pay Rieff and avoid having to pay tons of money for o linemen. You save with Lucas and pay Reiff a nice contract.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am also basing mine on how a nobody got 2 strip sacks against Reiff that ended our playoff chances. And who is to say that Lucas can not be better? He is more physically gifted.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To

Actually, starting Lucas there is part of the strategy to pay Rieff and avoid having to pay tons of money for o linemen. You save with Lucas and pay Reiff a nice contract.

You aren't taking the best interests of Reiff into consideration. He's (nor his agent) not going to move to RT and take less money just because you want him to.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pay Reiff what he's worth and be done with it. They can still pay him like a LT even he plays on the right.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather Reiff stay at LT. Other than that, I do agree LG is the main area of concern. I've always been a proponent of drafting Olinemen often. I would definitely like to see at least 2-3 taken in this upcoming draft.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pay Reiff what he's worth and be done with it. They can still pay him like a LT even he plays on the right.

That's not usually how it works. Reiff has played LT in the Big Ten and in the Pros. Where's the motivation to move to RT when he can play LT somewhere else?

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why can't Lucas play LG? If he is going to be good at LT. He should be especially good at LG? :skip:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why can't Lucas play LG? If he is going to be good at LT. He should be especially good at LG? :skip:
Because he's like 6'9"... you don't see any guards in the league with that kind of height because DTs that are 6" shorter are able to immediately get up under their pads on the snap and control the leverage...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robert Gallery and Eric Pears were both at LG..... for like a minute

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he's like 6'9"... you don't see any guards in the league with that kind of height because DTs that are 6" shorter are able to immediately get up under their pads on the snap and control the leverage...

Also, the QB has to see and throw over the Guard sometimes.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucas is not more talented than Reiff and therefore should not be playing LT over Reiff. Reiff should play LT until we find a suitable replacement and if we never find a guy more talented than him Reiff should be our LT.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucas is not more talented than Reiff and therefore should not be playing LT over Reiff. Reiff should play LT until we find a suitable replacement and if we never find a guy more talented than him Reiff should be our LT.

I agree with ya.... I just don't want to give up on him yet as one. We hear so much of the "we don't develop players" talk. i am guilty of it myself, when I am saying draft DE if there is better value than a DT at any spot with the option of moving JJones inside. Webster I have no clue on. Taylor may be nothing more than a rotation guy IMO.
I just want to see more of Lucas at either spot to judge more. One game against Allen was decent. Just not enough to say he can move Reiff elsewhere. He may with reps and more reps and even some me more reps.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You aren't taking the best interests of Reiff into consideration. He's (nor his agent) not going to move to RT and take less money just because you want him to.

I was wrong. Still think Riley stays at LT, but it's both great and surprising (to me at least) to see this positive team attitude. Now lock him up.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When you actually talk football, you make some good point.