• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions sign new CB

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our secondary sucks balls and if only one guy gets injured we suck even bigger balls.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to pile on, but the weakest part of our defense is our secondary and it has been for quite some time.

It isn't just the Lions fans on here saying this -- If you looked at the weaknesses they had listed at the draft -- first on the list was CB. If you read any article regarding team needs prior to any draft over the last 5 years -- CB is always listed.

The one year where everything seemed to go right for our offense and before defenses figured out they can just move the safeties 20+ yards off the line of scrimmage to take away the Lions deep routes -- Our secondary is what absolutely killed the team.

See- that's exactly what I'm saying. In no way, shape, or form are my comments on this thread at all suggestive that secondary is good. I simply defended Mathis' play last year. Dude played well- we were lucky to pick him up. Regardless of his age he's an asset to our secondary at the moment, and not simply because our CB unit sucks in general. He played well enough last year to have a role in any secondary in the league. He's not a Pro Bowler or super-star, but he's definitely not the issue right now, either.

I keep tossing Cassius Vaughn out there as one guy we can easily improve (I was all about Terrell Thomas getting his spot, but apparently we didn't need him.. the Super Bowl champions decided he could help them, though), but that seems to go un-noticed. The dude is arguably our worst CB poised to make the roster, why not discuss guys who we could bring in to upgrade him? Like maybe Drayton Florence?

That's all I'm saying, so I don't see how that gets twisted into me saying we have an awesome secondary or something?! Our CBs suck as a unit. Mathis is decent, but old. Perfectly good right now, but we definitely need to add his replacement very soon. Florence is another upgrade this season, no, he won't help us in the future, but he also didn't cost a draft pick, so who cares? He was available and better than our current depth CBs.

Please don't twist that into "Florence and Mathis are Hall of Fame CBs."

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you all please stop saying secondary. Our secondary does not suck. Our CBs suck. We have 2 pretty good safeties starting and 2 average ones backing them up and a fifth who could end up being the best of all of them in a few years. We are more then fine at safety.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you all please stop saying secondary. Our secondary does not suck. Our CBs suck. We have 2 pretty good safeties starting and 2 average ones backing them up and a fifth who could end up being the best of all of them in a few years. We are more then fine at safety.

:amen:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK. :bullshit: Does Dig really look scared to you?

rlo3d-iFx-170x125.jpg

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did the Panthers cut him if he's coming off a strong season?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did the Panthers cut him if he's coming off a strong season?

Who said he was cut?

Guys can also become free agents after their contract expires.

We didn't cut Willie Young, but he's not a Lions any longer, either...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, my bad. I saw the same article Swarm did and didn't realize it was from last year. He was a free agent.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agent LCB Drayton Florence is considered "doubtful" to return to the Panthers.
33-year-old journeyman Florence had something of a renaissance 2013 season, grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 22 corner among 110 qualifiers. He was obviously helped by Carolina's dominant defensive front seven, though. Florence should generate free-agent interest as an experienced nickel or dime back. Jan 13 - 3:11 PM
Source: Charlotte Observer

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions CB unit 0 INT vs. Stafford in first 10 days of practice.

Take that factoid however you want.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
image.jpg

This is how i picture tpaul while he reads the lions message board...

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if we wait 3 more years, we can sign peanut tillman. Another 6-7 yrs maybe revis island will come to detroit..

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions CB unit 0 INT vs. Stafford in first 10 days of practice.

Take that factoid however you want.

Stafford has improved greatly. Good to know. He is on target with most of his throws and Caldwell said all his mechanics are much better.

High praise from the guy who coached Peyton Manning. The greatest QB in the history of the NFL.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford has improved greatly. Good to know. He is on target with most of his throws and Caldwell said all his mechanics are much better.

High praise from the guy who coached Peyton Manning. The greatest QB in the history of the NFL.

Let's all wait until Stafford takes the field and shows he has changed. Not throwing Int's in practice is a good start, I suppose, but until it carries over on the field for all to see -- it doesn't mean too much.

As far as the Peyton Manning comment -- if Caldwell was responsible for Peyton Manning's success in the NFL -- the Colts would have been doing cartwheels with him as head coach and Andrew Luck as a rookie. Instead, he was fired. Peyton Manning could make any coach look like a genius.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's all wait until Stafford takes the field and shows he has changed. Not throwing Int's in practice is a good start, I suppose, but until it carries over on the field for all to see -- it doesn't mean too much.

As far as the Peyton Manning comment -- if Caldwell was responsible for Peyton Manning's success in the NFL -- the Colts would have been doing cartwheels with him as head coach and Andrew Luck as a rookie. Instead, he was fired. Peyton Manning could make any coach look like a genius.

Pretty sure his comment was a throwback from another thread.