• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions fail Fairely

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once a possible no.1 over all pick, Nick Fairely falls all the way to 13th because there are issues surrounding his motivation, weight, and maturity.

The Lions draft him. 4 years later. Nick Fairley is exactly the same player he was when we was drafted. Supremely talented, but lazy, over weight, and immature. Just like Stafford is the same player he was when drafted. Same as Pettigrew etc...

But now Master GM Martin Mayhew throws down the ultimatum on Fairely by not picking up his contract for a 5th season?

I'd like to see the Lions not pick up any more years on Martin Mayhew's contract. Nick Fairely didn't fail the Lions, the Lions failed Nick Fairely by hiring him a fiery coach with his own maturity problems, then expect this kid to learn anything?

I can barely take Mayhew's stupidity anymore.

First they brag about what an amazing team they have, and how everyone on Earth is dying to work here. Then they hire their Rooney Rule candidate and get 1 decent guy in FA.

Now this dumb ass is blaming one of his best players for not maturing after firing a HC for failing to install maturity in the entire team?

Martin Mayhew is a master of deflection. I hope Ford Jr. sees through this bullshit.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can barely take Mayhew's stupidity anymore.

You dont have to. Very easy solution.

First they brag about what an amazing team they have, and how everyone on Earth is dying to work here. Then they hire their Rooney Rule candidate and get 1 decent guy in FA.

What is wrong with hiring a black coach? For all you know he was their 2nd choice. Its amazing that months later you are still whining because the NFL has the Rooney Rule. He was hired because of his resume and interview and what the Lions think he can do for this team. Not because he is black.

Martin Mayhew is a master of deflection. I hope Ford Jr. sees through this bullshit.

Mayhew has done a good job of bringing talent in. It is the coaches job after than. Mayhew is not going anywhere. Get used to him. He will be the Lions GM for a long time.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously there is nothing wrong with hiring a black HC when said coach isn't yours and everyone elses Rooney Rule candidate said year. Hell, I was ready to roll out the red carpet for Lovie at one point.

29-51 and you think Mayhew will be the GM here for a long time? Based on what?

You realize Mayhew is gone if they don't make the playoffs this year, right? That's where all this boasting from the front office is coming from. No North Title/playoffs, no jobs.

RIP Mr. Ford Sr. Mr. Ford Jr. will not be as kind or as patient with losers as his father was.

Any thoughts on Fairely, Kreton?

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions wanted Mayhew gone he'd be gone. As for the playoffs I certainly do think we will be in.

And you don't know if the Lions brought in Caldwell just to satisfy the rooney rule or if they had genuine interest in him and he happened to fulfill the rooney rule. The fact that they hired him suggests they were interested in him regardless of his skin color or the rooney rule. Nobody forces anyone to hire anyone.

What about Fairley? He's in a contract year. He'll get the contract he earns. Noone is going to fail him but Nick Fairley.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we should blame the Lions for Fairley being lazy? How about we talk about Fairley being lazy? If money isn't motivation enough, then I'm just glad they didn't pick up this lazy mutha fuckas extension. Could you imagine trying sell this same shit to your employer? It's your fault you fired me because I'm lazy...

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fairley has failed the Lions.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, I disagree. They knew what they were drafting. That's why he slipped to 13. Did they expect him to just magically mature under the guidance of the immature HC they hired to coach him?

Seems like more Mayhew deflection to me. Nothing is ever his fault.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Mayhew get any blame for Titus Young? He's the one drafting these guys after all. Titus had red flags coming out of college too. Did Mayhew just expect him to snap out of it once he donned the mighty Lions logo?

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a Mayhew defender. I couldn't care less about the guy. What about accountability? These are men. Dude was projected 1st overall and he dropped to 13. I don't blame Mayhew for taking a flyer on a talent like that in hopes he can change. He didn't. That's on him though.

Titus Young? That was an obvious potential outcome? How dare Mayhew not be able to predict the future?

We agree most of the time, we don't on this.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Titus Young had red flags at Boise. Could anyone predict he would punch Louis Delmas (probably for spearing him on the field after a missed tackle), steal a car and break into someone's house? No, but mental/maturity red flags are a big deal, and Mayhew drafted a bunch of them that year.

I like Fairely. What's wrong with him? He's a crazy black dude from a single family in Southern Bama. Sue me if I like 'em a little nutty, and don't expect this guy to morph into KVB off the field in 4 years.

Why does Mayhew get a pass when the HC he hired was fired for failing guys like Fairely? That means Mayhew failed Fairely, by getting him the worst type of HC possible.

It's like dating a fat girl, taking her to Big Boy every night for dinner, then wondering why she's still fat.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams draft for talent and when there are concerns about players thats a risk you take. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. Fact is you can find guys with issues who showed no signs of the draft, and guys who should signs who excel in the pros. Every player that every team drafts in every round is a risk. Some will work, and the Lions have those guys on the roster, and the ones that dont you move on from. It is the nature of the business. Once a player gets drafted a team supplies them with the tools to succeed the rest is on the player.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't give a shit if he's a nutty black dude. He's fucking lazy. It doesn't matter what coach is trying to coach him if he's to lazy to learn. We should have hired Rob Reiner as his coach so he could keep telling him "You can do it". Coaches coach, sounds like fat ass Fairley needed a cheerleader.

If you want to bag on Mayhew and the scouting department for taking a flyer on him I can get that. Blaming anyone but Fairley for being lazy after he was drafted is grasping at straws.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once a possible no.1 over all pick, Nick Fairely falls all the way to 13th because there are issues surrounding his motivation, weight, and maturity.

The Lions draft him. 4 years later. Nick Fairley is exactly the same player he was when we was drafted. Supremely talented, but lazy, over weight, and immature. Just like Stafford is the same player he was when drafted. Same as Pettigrew etc...

Suh also was coached under that regime. Did he become lazy? Does he under perform or regress since college?

NO and NO! Why because at some point being a professional is your responsibility. So now if I have this straight. It is the Schwartz and Mayhews fault a guy is motivated at making millions???

This same regime suddenly turned Levy into near ALL-PRO or was it all Levy? Did Waddle just perform last year as a 7th round guy or did a scout do their due dilligence? At what point is it the player or coaches?

Stafford coming back in a game with a dislocated shoulder is what is in a man's heart. This may be where Fairley differs??

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't give a shit if he's a nutty black dude. He's fucking lazy. It doesn't matter what coach is trying to coach him if he's to lazy to learn. We should have hired Rob Reiner as his coach so he could keep telling him "You can do it". Coaches coach, sounds like fat ass Fairley needed a cheerleader.

If you want to bag on Mayhew and the scouting department for taking a flyer on him I can get that. Blaming anyone but Fairley for being lazy after he was drafted is grasping at straws.

:agree:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Mayhew get any blame for Titus Young? He's the one drafting these guys after all. Titus had red flags coming out of college too. Did Mayhew just expect him to snap out of it once he donned the mighty Lions logo?

Again, does Mayhew get any props for Waddle and Fauria? Hell even Taylor a 5th rounder contributed last year. That has been a knock on Mayhew finding guys late. Most likely not, I know you are positive it was this other guy who made the picks. Who hired said guy?

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swarm you answered your own questions. They brought in Caldwell to install discipline. I dont agree with not picking up the 5th year though. It puts the Lions in a no win situation. If he plays well he will probably leave in FA. If he does not then why would we want to keep him if he can not even perform in a contract year. Look for us to draft a DT in the later rounds.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew someone would hit Rob with a reply like Gandy's. Fairley should really be ashamed of himself because it all falls on him.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh also was coached under that regime. Did he become lazy? Does he under perform or regress since college?

Become lazy? Suh was never lazy. Apples to oranges.

NO and NO! Why because at some point being a professional is your responsibility. So now if I have this straight. It is the Schwartz and Mayhews fault a guy is (not) motivated at making millions???

Yes, that is correct. Martin Mayhew is a hypocrite, drafting a guy with said problems, then acting surprised said player never shook these same problems under his watch. It hurts him even more that the guy he put in charge of coaching Fairely up had maturity problems of his own.

This same regime suddenly turned Levy into near ALL-PRO or was it all Levy?

Here we go with the straw man. Let's just name every player and not focus on Fairely. Levy was probably always good, and it showed when we finally got a capable DE in front of him. What does Levy have to do with Mayhew drafting a lazy player then blaming the player for not changing in 4 years under his watch?

Did Waddle just perform last year as a 7th round guy or did a scout do their due dilligence? At what point is it the player or coaches?

Xanders put in a new scouting system after the Fairley draft.

Stafford coming back in a game with a dislocated shoulder is what is in a man's heart. This may be where Fairley differs??

Maybe. But it's the coaches job to inspire. Not fail and let said player go when the coaching staff fails to improve a player.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha I said Rob Reiner when I meant Rob Schneider

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, does Mayhew get any props for Waddle and Fauria? Hell even Taylor a 5th rounder contributed last year.

What red flags did these guys have coming into the draft?