• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions draft path becoming clearer

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the events that happened the last few days, it is becoming clearer as to what the Lions will be doing draft day. I don't see them doing anything else in FA either.

What occurred over just the last couple of days have filled in major pieces of the puzzle. We already knew we would have to draft 2 LBs, 1 WR and 1 DB in the first 4 rounds. Now we have Hill bolting in FA and Fairly not being picked up in a contract year making him a casualty next year. This means we will be going DT and QB in rounds 6 and 7 most likely.

That rounds out the entire draft.

There is also a chance we pick up Orlovsky again and draft a kicker in round 7

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think kicker is taken before 7th. I am going with 4th.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Donald isn't a top ten talent is he? I do believe Mayhew may shop Fairley around come draft day.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Donald isn't a top ten talent is he? I do believe Mayhew may shop Fairley around come draft day.

I think he is after that combine performance on top of a dominate Senior Bowl...

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's pretty good but damn I would be disappointed. Unless they snagged a 2nd for Fairley somehow.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be shocked to see us draft DT Aaron Donald at #10 with all the Fairley issues going on and maybe, just maybe, Fairley being shipped off in a trade come day 2 of draft. BTW, this years class of PK isn't worth a draft pick, IMO, a UDFA PK more likely. Here's a good article on drafting a edge rushing OLB, although I'm not a big fan of Barr.
Detroit Lions want an edge-rushing LB, but they don't seem to have one | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

I agree that Kicker can be had as UDFA but there are 2 kickers that are worth their salt so I would not want to chance another team snapping one of them up. Although Rob Bironas is now a FA.

Nice article. I am looking to go LB at 10.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions' Martin Mayhew says there are not 10 elite prospects

NFL draft order released: Detroit Lions' Martin Mayhew says there are not 10 elite prospects | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

In the first round, the Lions pick 10th, and while most believe that this is the deepest draft in some time, general manager Martin Mayhew said Monday at the NFL owners meetings that that won’t be a deterrent for trading up.
“I think the depth of the draft is, obviously, a factor in terms of — you start thinking about trading up, ‘What are you missing out on?’” Mayhew said. “But sometimes the guys are elite players who are difference makers, if you’re picking 10 and there’s five elite players and you can get one of those guys, we think there’s value in (doing that).”
Mayhew, who has traveled to pro days to see the workouts of top draft prospects such as Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Anthony Barr and Justin Gilbert, wouldn’t say how many players he considers elite in this year’s draft.
But in my view, there are not 10 elite guys,” he said.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the first round, the Lions pick 10th, and while most believe that this is the deepest draft in some time, general manager Martin Mayhew said Monday at the NFL owners meetings that that won’t be a deterrent for trading up.

Perfect.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like they'll trade up for Clowney. He, next to Fairley, because of Mayhew, could lazy the shit out of that D-line. If JaWalrus Russell is still trying to make a comeback, we could slide him right in on the line without him having to lose weight or put down the Sizzurp. This would work out perfect mayhews plan of making players lazy. If it wasn't for Suh and that overzealous Ansah, we could have an entire line and their backups full of Mayhews induced laziness. Could you imagine? We could likely petition the league to get additional commercial stoppage so that our line can lazy a bit more between snaps! It's a win win for the NFL. Additional commercials followed by endless discussion/debate about the Lions attempt/strategy to slow down these fast paced/high powered offenses.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Careful, Kreton might jump down your throat for derailing the thread and being a bully.

superdave2773

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and we dont take too kindly to bullies in this kinder gentler society! waaaaaaaah

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised at this point if Barr is not the pick. That could change in 6 weeks, but right now the evidence points to him.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised at this point if Barr is not the pick. That could change in 6 weeks, but right now the evidence points to him.

How do you feel about that, Old Lion? I fully appreciate our need for linebackers, but I'm a bit nervous about him. Raw. And a tweener.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you feel about that, Old Lion? I fully appreciate our need for linebackers, but I'm a bit nervous about him. Raw. And a tweener.

I am not 100% sure about him being a superstar either. He has the talent. It will depend on how bad he wants to be that guy. With OLBs and DEs you have to take a shot with those types. The hard working productive types usually do not turn out to be impact players in those positions. At DT and MLB I find the opposite is true.