• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lindros calls for a ban to body contact to reduce concussions in hockey

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every three years or so, this topic comes up lol

A goalie stick should be a 4x6 piece of plywood with a handle attached to the back.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't know about your beer-league experience, (oh that's right, you're a goaler. you guys don't get into the fray. :heh:. well, Mattola does, but he's a little loopy :crazy: )
back on tangent, the guys who wear full cages are invariably the ones that skate around with their sticks at head level. i find that fear breeds respect.

I was suspended from my last league for a slash to the ankles of a guy who scored a hat trick and talked shit.

Not claiming it can solve all the ills, but the fact is when it's a cage hitting Tom Wilson's elbow instead of a jaw, less guys are gonna get hurt. It's only half the battle. Helmets need to get better, too.

But at the core, it's a behavio(u)r issue. They have to punish blatant stuff. No matter when or who it happens to.

btw, Lindros has stepped back from those comments.
says hitting belongs in upper and pro levels.

problem is limiting hitting to upper levels, is that you need to learn how to hit and take a hit before those hits can do much damage. at age 13-14, kids can be too big to be just learning proper technique

USA Hockey really drills it into coaches' heads that the development between ages 11-14 is just as critical as development before age 8. Some argue moreso. The kids grow so much after 12 and they have to adjust. And the skills they learn at this age is the skill set they will keep. A kid who is blowing doors off the competition at 9 can be average at 12. A kid who struggles at 10 might be a legend starting at 14.

You can't hold core aspects of the game out at lower ages that are expected to be there later. You aren't doing anyone any good.

A goalie stick should be a 4x6 piece of plywood with a handle attached to the back.

I find your ideas intriguing and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't know about your beer-league experience, (oh that's right, you're a goaler. you guys don't get into the fray. :heh:. well, Mattola does, but he's a little loopy :crazy: )
back on tangent, the guys who wear full cages are invariably the ones that skate around with their sticks at head level. i find that fear breeds respect.

btw, Lindros has stepped back from those comments.
says hitting belongs in upper and pro levels.

problem is limiting hitting to upper levels, is that you need to learn how to hit and take a hit before those hits can do much damage. at age 13-14, kids can be too big to be just learning proper technique

It's not just that they're too big but there is a huge disparity in sizes. Trying to teach a 5'4 player to hit against 6'2 guys, and vice versa, at age 13 is not realistic.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be missing something here, but how are you supposed to get your stick up in opponent's mouth if he's wearing a full cage?

/basically I'm saying that if your opponent doesn't respect your two hander to the back of the knee then you might have to escalate things and that may involve some dental procedures.

//or to avoid the on ice violence all together, you can always tuned up at the bar afterwards and have a fight in the parking lot

It can happen. One of the few injuries I suffered playing hockey was an opponent got his stick handle inside my cage and somehow busted the inside of my mouth wide open. Of course I am talking about the old helmets from the late 70s, the ones today would be a lot harder to do that with.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the risk of alienating dinosaurs like Grapes, I don't mind Czechs and I would hate to see the NHL eliminate them from the game.

cherrygif1.gif

Last edited:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was suspended from my last league for a slash to the ankles of a guy who scored a hat trick and talked shit.

You can't be getting suspended every time some guy puts three past you, your teammates are going to forget what you look like entirely.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have to punish blatant stuff. No matter when or who it happens to.

And they have to ignore (somewhat) the injury factor. When I guy cracks another player in the head with his stick but causes no damage because helmet, that needs to be punished as severely as if he took out 6 teeth and the linesmen needed 5 minutes to scrape the blood up. Minimizing penalties because the player was not seriously hurt is just dumb.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't be getting suspended every time some guy puts three past you, your teammates are going to forget what you look like entirely.

I have not given up a hat trick in 14 years.

I haven't played a reg season in 10.