• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LHN A Bad Idea?

Airraidtech

DAT DON'T MAKE NO SENSE!
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another cable package purchase. I heard allot of UT fans grumbling about not being able to see the game. Many of their fan base didn't go to UT, and don't have the budget to buy more expensive T.V packages. In away you kind of alienate some of your fans through an elitist move.

Just a thought. So I guess if Bars start picking it up like they do fights and stuff then charge cover to get in and stuff. Again that's more money for your average joe to spend.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The place I went didn't show it.

I seen a buffalo wild wings that was showing it but they were charging $35 per table.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watch a lot of Horns games up here in Washington on whatever channel is carrying their games and normally it's FOX. It seemed weird yesterday that no channel....FOX, ESPN, ABC, FX, CBS Sport, Versus, Game Plan, etc, etc. was showing Texas. I doubled checked and sure enough it was on just LHN. Of course Texas made a mistake with that decision. It hacked off a bunch of their conference members and will eventually make UT a wholly-owned subsidiary of ESPN unless UT revamps the entire thing upon joining the Pac 12. It was well intentioned but it's turned into the Frankenstein Network.

Boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I watch a lot of Horns games up here in Washington on whatever channel is carrying their games and normally it's FOX. It seemed weird yesterday that no channel....FOX, ESPN, ABC, FX, CBS Sport, Versus, Game Plan, etc, etc. was showing Texas. I doubled checked and sure enough it was on just LHN. Of course Texas made a mistake with that decision. It hacked off a bunch of their conference members and will eventually make UT a wholly-owned subsidiary of ESPN unless UT revamps the entire thing upon joining the Pac 12. It was well intentioned but it's turned into the Frankenstein Network.

I'm sure theres alot of UT alums that aren't real pleased with Deloss. Man has screwed up big time.

TexasFight98VI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Worst idea the school has ever had. THe LHN is awful. We don't need our own network. Without the LHN, Texas is still light years ahead of any program in total revenue. LHN = FRACKING STUPID!!!!!

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, it's a GREAT IDEA, and channel. I have it and I can tell you.....it's GLORIOUS.

When other schools see what it's like, and what it's about, they'll want a network themselves. Its' really well done, I'm being completely serious here.

If you are a true fan of football, you'll love it. Coverage of practices, great coaching insights, and for the ladies in your house, volleyball, etc.

If you get a chance to see it, just watch it for a day.....then imagine if your school had the same thing.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it's a GREAT IDEA, and channel. I have it and I can tell you.....it's GLORIOUS.

When other schools see what it's like, and what it's about, they'll want a network themselves. Its' really well done, I'm being completely serious here.

If you are a true fan of football, you'll love it. Coverage of practices, great coaching insights, and for the ladies in your house, volleyball, etc.

If you get a chance to see it, just watch it for a day.....then imagine if your school had the same thing.

I did like what I saw yesterday though. The game day presentation is great. Getting really sick of Matthew McConnaghey and his backwards Horns hand sign though.

But if I can't get this channel, then what's the point?

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

A network for everything else = great. A subscription network that you're trying to show all your game on, well, ND didn't become the most popular team in the nation by limiting access to it's games... Doesn't seem like the Lakers/Yankees/Sox adhere to that philosophy either.

Texas will always be Texas, but I wouldn't be surprised if the on the fence fans started rooting for the team that's free to watch on TV.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Star, the problem is there's no LHN here. And if there was I'd never pay to get it because I'm only interested in the football games. There are a running ton of people just like me; they will forgo watching the Horns if it ever comes to having to subscribe to LHN to do it. We already pay out the wazoo to get a jillion other channels. I can imagine how attractive the network looks to a hard core Horns fan but the rest of the world isn't going to pay for it. The same thing holds true for a Sooners Network.....it's just too provincial to be successful unless it's part of a larger package under the umbrella of something like the Pac 12 and even then we'd be smart to include Okie Jr. in it somehow to broaden the interest.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Star, the problem is there's no LHN here. And if there was I'd never pay to get it because I'm only interested in the football games. There are a running ton of people just like me; they will forgo watching the Horns if it ever comes to having to subscribe to LHN to do it. We already pay out the wazoo to get a jillion other channels. I can imagine how attractive the network looks to a hard core Horns fan but the rest of the world isn't going to pay for it. The same thing holds true for a Sooners Network.....it's just too provincial to be successful unless it's part of a larger package under the umbrella of something like the Pac 12 and even then we'd be smart to include Okie Jr. in it somehow to broaden the interest.

I don't think the LHN was ever intended to be national. And it's currently not a pay channel. I imagine in the next week or so TwC and Uverse will pick it up, and it will be statewide in Texas. There's only going to be maybe 2 games on the network......I'm looking forward more to baseball games on it, since they're never televised. The coaches shows and practice shows are great too.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did like what I saw yesterday though. The game day presentation is great. Getting really sick of Matthew McConnaghey and his backwards Horns hand sign though.

But if I can't get this channel, then what's the point?

Exactly, the main problem is they don't have the programming to command the price that they are asking which my understanding is $.40 per subscriber.

Compare BTN which is $.36 within the Big Ten footprint and a dime or so cheaper outside the footprint if I remember correctly.

Now compare the programming.
The Big Ten Network guarantees 25 football games and 56 basketball games a year. They surely go way over that seeing that every football game that is not picked up by networks are shown. Add in Women's basketball, hockey etc., for a whole conference and talk shows school specific for a whole conference and you have legitimate programming.

On LHN? September 3rd Texas - Rice. The next football game is Texas Kansas October 29th.

What are the cable companies getting for their money? If I was CEO for a major cable provider I definitely don't want to go to my board or my shareholders and explain that one.

I think if ESPN went $.30 inside Texas and maybe .10 to .12 outside it may fly but there just isn't enough to justify $.40.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucks because your Horns alum on the coasts will never get to see it unless it's part of a computer network. The big question ----> does demand outside of Texas make cable systems carry it?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in Texas and my cable provider doesn't even offer it, so yes it's very stupid. Even if they did, I don't believe in the principle of having to pay extra for a channel that is only relevant for 3 hours a week. I don't give a shit about interviews and practice. Why should I have to pay extra to see my team play?

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like the LHN may be dead after this season then. What do you think?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a 20-year deal. They might lower the price they're asking from cable providers and it might become more available nationwide in the years to come, but the network itself isn't going anywhere.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the B1G Network, every Nebraska football game is on BTN, ABC, ESPN, or Verses (Wyoming game). Cox cable Omaha has put in three BTN channels so we have a pick of what football game to watch on any given Saturday. Last year, Nebraska football games were on PPV through Fox quite a few times. It doesn't sound like the LHN will show all live Texas football games for anytime in the near future. In hindsight, there should have been a Big XII Channel with the LHN as a regional. It would have stopped the instablility of the Conference, and all Texas fb games would have been televised.

TexasFight98VI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I love the B1G Network, every Nebraska football game is on BTN, ABC, ESPN, or Verses (Wyoming game). Cox cable Omaha has put in three BTN channels so we have a pick of what football game to watch on any given Saturday. Last year, Nebraska football games were on PPV through Fox quite a few times. It doesn't sound like the LHN will show all live Texas football games for anytime in the near future. In hindsight, there should have been a Big XII Channel with the LHN as a regional. It would have stopped the instablility of the Conference, and all Texas fb games would have been televised.

Unfortunately, the entire conference, including NU voted it down, 12-0 unanimously. You do realize Nebraska is the reason why the Big 12 has unequal revenue sharing, right?