• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's wait on drafting a RB this year

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 2000 is referring to the Dolphins in Foxboro Einstein...

I know. And it's been 23 years since your Lions won in Green Bay. But you defend that somehow by bringing up the Dolphins for some weird reason.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know. And it's been 23 years since your Lions won in Green Bay. But you defend that somehow by bringing up the Dolphins for some weird reason.

No, Rob you thought you got me, but you read it wrong as I never said anything about a streak. Fail brother.

Dang Rob you are fighting with me a lot you should prolly take a day off

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Rob you thought you got me, but you read it wrong as I never said anything about a streak. Fail brother.

Dang Rob you are fighting with me a lot you should prolly take a day off

Cool story, Uncle Micro.

Keep yapping about Miami and avoid the Lions woes.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, give me Gurley or Gordon this year. As we get closer, reports on Gurley are great and experts have him definitely going in the first round.

You mean the guy who no one has seen run in months?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of speed back are you talking about? With the exception of a couple, every RB in the combine ran about 4.5.

No one in particular. I just believe that a speed back is what the Lions covet.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure it does.

Just how bad are the Detroit Lions in cold weather? Pretty bad

The Lions have lost 16 consecutive games in which the weather was 40 degrees or colder at game time.

The Dolphins don't fair well in cold whether either. Until a couple of years ago, the Bucs had never won a game in cold whether. Not one in their history. They both play outside. And most of all, how shameful is it to lose at Green Bay and to a lesser extent at Chicago? I mean that's really what we're talking about here.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, give me Gurley or Gordon this year. As we get closer, reports on Gurley are great and experts have him definitely going in the first round.

Who are these experts you tallingbough? Lord I hope it's not Kiper and McShay?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love me some big (240+ lbs) RBs. I think a power running game with a spread offense puts the defense in a real pickle. It's either a soft box against a big back, or single coverage on at least three of our four pass-catchers, if not all four. So I'd be thrilled with drafting this dude next year.

But that being said, I also love the committee approach, and we're not exactly loaded at RB, so I'd still take a RB this year if one falls to us. I'd take Gurley in the 1st, Coleman, Gordon (if he's somehow still there), or David Johnson in the 2nd, or Langford, Jay Ajayi, or Javorious Allen in the 3rd, assuming any top our board or there isn't a comparably rated lineman, CB, or WR on the board. We need lineman and CBs more, and WRs have much longer careers than RB on average, so, in a vacuum, I'm taking any of those guys before a RB.

RBs have short shelf lives and are injury prone on a game-to-game basis. I'd have little issue with drafting one in the low-middle rounds (2 thru 4) damn near every year ala New England to ensure a deep an consistent RB corps. Right now we have Bell who is a good all-around back, but not a top-end RB by any means, and Riddick, who is a great looking receiving back, so we still need to add some talent to the mix at the position. Chris Johnson is still available as a free agent, so if we fail do draft a speed back he might be a good one or two year rental. At the very least, defenses still have to respect his speed. He had the longest run of the season last year against the best run defense in the league, if I'm not mistaken.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm torn on RB. On one hand I don't want another high pick on a skill position, but on the other hand I'm not sold on our current backs. Same dilemma as last draft. Pettigrew and Fauria are very similar at TE as Bell and Riddick at RB. I didn't really want a TE but I understood the logic with who was available and who we had. So I guess if we took a RB first I wouldnt be able to blame Mayhew.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm torn on RB. On one hand I don't want another high pick on a skill position, but on the other hand I'm not sold on our current backs. Same dilemma as last draft. Pettigrew and Fauria are very similar at TE as Bell and Riddick at RB. I didn't really want a TE but I understood the logic with who was available and who we had. So I guess if we took a RB first I wouldnt be able to blame Mayhew.
Would you be able to blame him for the two flops he already has?

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you be able to blame him for the two flops he already has?

Sure. Blame doesn't necessarily have to be deserved to get. I could blame Mayhew for a lot of things. The Ebron pick, IMO, isn't one of them.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. Blame doesn't necessarily have to be deserved to get. I could blame Mayhew for a lot of things. The Ebron pick, IMO, isn't one of them.
Fair enough. But I ask about the two busts he traded up to get. Six years of this bozo and the oline is a mess and so is our RB situation. That's all on him.

I'm not going to cut him slack on why those RB's failed because they did so exactly for the reasons known pre-draft. It's just shitty mgmt, same as always from him

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. But I ask about the two busts he traded up to get. Six years of this bozo and the oline is a mess and so is our RB situation. That's all on him.

I'm not going to cut him slack on why those RB's failed because they did so exactly for the reasons known pre-draft. It's just shitty mgmt, same as always from him
We need a left guard and have questions at RT. That constitutes our o-line as being a mess now? How is our RB situation a mess?

I think this is part of why your're so tough on Mayhew- your expectations are to not have any holes/needs on the team. Imo, that's no realistic in this league with a salary cap and free agency. Teams are going to have weak spots- all teams. This is not something unique to the Lions, nor something Mayhew has caused. He's invested well in the o-line in recent drafts, can't realistically fault him there...

shabazz916

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dallas plays in a dome... they ran the ball

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Leshoure didn't have any achilles injuries in college, so it's hard to say that was known pre-draft. And make no mistake, that's why he failed as a RB. He was drawing rave reviews in his rookie training camp prior to that. It sucks that he didn't work out, but he was the #1A/#2 RB in the draft depending on which analyst you referenced, so making a move to get him in the 2nd round is hardly a poor decision at the time.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leshoure didn't have any achilles injuries in college, so it's hard to say that was known pre-draft. And make no mistake, that's why he failed as a RB. He was drawing rave reviews in his rookie training camp prior to that. It sucks that he didn't work out, but he was the #1A/#2 RB in the draft depending on which analyst you referenced, so making a move to get him in the 2nd round is hardly a poor decision at the time.
His arrests and worth ethic made him fail, not injury. Make no mistake I have read posts from you specifically saying that injuries today are simply not what there used to be.

If it's injury that was his fail then I suspect you have numerous posts adamantly saying we shouldn't even consider drafting Gurley? Have you made those posts?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His arrests and worth ethic made him fail, not injury. Make no mistake I have read posts from you specifically saying that injuries today are simply not what there used to be.

If it's injury that was his fail then I suspect you have numerous posts adamantly saying we shouldn't even consider drafting Gurley? Have you made those posts?
I'm of the opinion that the achillies injury was what did him in. He went from being a bigger back with very good burst, to a bigger back with unimpressive burst. When he wasn't a burner to start with, that kind of injury is a death knell.

As for the Gurley comparison? He's coming off an ACL, not a achillies. HUGE difference in those two injuries. Ask FaxBoyBobby, I'm sure he can get you up to speed on what those two what exactly those two soft tissue bodies do, and why they're very different, at least as long as you agree to sign a waiver not to file suit against his medical practice...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dallas plays in a dome... they ran the ball

They sure did. Get back with me after this year. Great OL can not make McFadden suddenly Murray and the backups will not matchup to Murray's production either. Which now the scary part is Romo may revert back to old Romo with no run game to ease his pressure.

Pretty sure Lions fans are well versed in a RB running good in doors.