• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Let The Games Begin.....

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Lopes bat, but unfortunately he is just another infielder M's trying to turn into a major league OF. That first defensive play he didn't make showed the difference between a major league OF and a guy trying to play OF in the majors. If Long doesn't start doing more at the plate and in the field, I would love to see Lopes at 2B.

I don’t necessarily agree with that though. With Lopes, IMO is what is wrong with the entire analytics becoming end all be all. They devalue defense so much that you can justify putting people like him in Gordon in the OF or essentially create a new starting position in baseball which is the utility guy. A utility guy is suppose to be the 24th, 25th or now however many they are allowed to have on the roster. Their sole job is to be semi serviceable in the field and below average on offense just to give a guy a day off. It shouldn’t mean, hey anyone can play any position because he can hit IMO.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t necessarily agree with that though. With Lopes, IMO is what is wrong with the entire analytics becoming end all be all. They devalue defense so much that you can justify putting people like him in Gordon in the OF or essentially create a new starting position in baseball which is the utility guy. A utility guy is suppose to be the 24th, 25th or now however many they are allowed to have on the roster. Their sole job is to be semi serviceable in the field and below average on offense just to give a guy a day off. It shouldn’t mean, hey anyone can play any position because he can hit IMO.

I have no idea if you agreed with me or disagreed with me? Either way I don't agree with a MLB team not being able to have actual OF's to play on a regular basis when there are hundreds of them out there. But then again,Mariners tend to do things their own way...the losing way but their own way.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Small sample size, but M's are 0-3 when giving up 8 runs...

Unlike the Mariners, this was my only error of the series. They lost the second game 7-2.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly do not care what Walker, Graveman, kikuchi really put forth. These next two starts I am really keeping an eye on Sheffield and Dunn these guys are the corner pieces for our future and is a big factor on what Dipotos future with us looks like.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched pretty sparingly as I was out of town this weekend. Saw most of Fridays game but little afterwards.
But yeah seeing guys in bullpen get blasted and Graveman struggle ultimately doesnt matter a ton.

Saw a play friday night when a ball was hit to Crawford and he had a runner hung up between 2nd and 3rd but instead tried to get a tough out at 1st and got no one out. Ultimately led to a big inning too. Play wasnt technically an error but those are the kinda growing pains we are working with here.

Given what happened with Marlins, Im not confident the season lasts much longer so I will enjoy whatever baseball I get even if we are losing 12-1

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea if you agreed with me or disagreed with me? Either way I don't agree with a MLB team not being able to have actual OF's to play on a regular basis when there are hundreds of them out there. But then again,Mariners tend to do things their own way...the losing way but their own way.

I agree with he in a IF and mostly should play. I disagree with he can’t play OF though. If they decide to go with that then he needs to give up on taking practice on the infield. Only take balls from LF and RF...but this also something that should’ve been done in the original spring training and then summer camp. But I’ve already stated my thoughts in the thread of that Lewis shouldn’t be playing CF IMO because he won’t be playing there next season.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched pretty sparingly as I was out of town this weekend. Saw most of Fridays game but little afterwards.
But yeah seeing guys in bullpen get blasted and Graveman struggle ultimately doesnt matter a ton.

Saw a play friday night when a ball was hit to Crawford and he had a runner hung up between 2nd and 3rd but instead tried to get a tough out at 1st and got no one out. Ultimately led to a big inning too. Play wasnt technically an error but those are the kinda growing pains we are working with here.

Given what happened with Marlins, Im not confident the season lasts much longer so I will enjoy whatever baseball I get even if we are losing 12-1

Bullpen has been bad, but the starters haven’t really done that bad. Just they always have a really bad defensive play that has led to big innings.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again it’s a bunch of kids and they are going to make mistakes it’s part of the process. As for Lopes I can see where they are trying to make him the ultimate utility player (makes sense since he can hit)
Again they are going to brain fart from time to time personally I would rather watch a young guy screw up instead a guy making millions and using his past all star years as a hype tool to bring the fans back into the stadium

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again they are going to brain fart from time to time personally I would rather watch a young guy screw up instead a guy making millions and using his past all star years as a hype tool to bring the fans back into the stadium

Point being the M's are not good enough, and may never be good enough, to play bad outfielders who can't make plays especially when their infield coughs up enough runs on its own along with a marginal pitching staff. If you are saying we have nothing to lose this year so play whoever wherever, then I can't argue that. But they have made this a habit and it doesn't work and it is bad practice. I know we live in an age where only homers matter and defense is just a minor inconvenience, but we will never be talented enough as a group to win with additional flaws in the outfield.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all knew why Kelenic had no chance of playing this year and this article spells it out.

Why:

The Mariners cited Kelenic’s lack of games and proper development as a main reason to keep him in Tacoma. Then there are the service-time ramifications, which would have allowed Kelenic to become a free agent after the 2025 season — instead, he can become a free agent after the 2027 season if he stays in the minors this year and the beginning of next year (for about three weeks or perhaps longer).

His reaction:

“I’m only going to comment on how I’m handling it,” he said. “I will say that every single day I’m going out and trying to compete and have fun with the guys. That’s not a cliché answer, but it may sound like one. It’s 100% what I’m trying to do. I understand the circumstances, but for me, I’m just going to go out there and compete very single pitch.”

How top Mariners prospect Jarred Kelenic is making the most of a year upended by the COVID shutdown

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point being the M's are not good enough, and may never be good enough, to play bad outfielders who can't make plays especially when their infield coughs up enough runs on its own along with a marginal pitching staff. If you are saying we have nothing to lose this year so play whoever wherever, then I can't argue that. But they have made this a habit and it doesn't work and it is bad practice. I know we live in an age where only homers matter and defense is just a minor inconvenience, but we will never be talented enough as a group to win with additional flaws in the outfield.

It’s exactly what I am saying.
For years they have over paid for average veterans that make the same blunders these younger guys are doing now. I know they rebuild began last year but guys like Lopes didn’t play60 games with the big club so I’m in the wait and see what he can develop into.
And yes home runs are the big thing wanted in today’s game but I want to see them develop a stout defense with these kids as well

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ump not only blew the check swing call there but the pitch was also a strike.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all knew why Kelenic had no chance of playing this year and this article spells it out.

Why:

The Mariners cited Kelenic’s lack of games and proper development as a main reason to keep him in Tacoma. Then there are the service-time ramifications, which would have allowed Kelenic to become a free agent after the 2025 season — instead, he can become a free agent after the 2027 season if he stays in the minors this year and the beginning of next year (for about three weeks or perhaps longer).

His reaction:

“I’m only going to comment on how I’m handling it,” he said. “I will say that every single day I’m going out and trying to compete and have fun with the guys. That’s not a cliché answer, but it may sound like one. It’s 100% what I’m trying to do. I understand the circumstances, but for me, I’m just going to go out there and compete very single pitch.”

How top Mariners prospect Jarred Kelenic is making the most of a year upended by the COVID shutdown

IMO, that is such a loser mentality from the organization. And that is a mentality that will still be there during free agencies and trade deadlines if they are “going for it”.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why:

His reaction:

I don't think they should have played Kelenic this year I think there is still some maturing both physically and mentally to be done, however there isn't a minor league season so this season might be a wash as far as progression goes, that said maybe having him play would help progression. A full minor league season for him would have been huge for development. I don't have a problem with not playing him at all this season (outside of the "summer camp" shit), service time is for sure something to think about and consider as an organization. I mean for fucks sake guys Kelenic has like 20 games in AA relax, zero need to rush the guy into a situation. His projection has always been 2021 at best and that is counting a 2020 minor league season. I am honestly not understanding the discussion of if he should've played this year.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This craps getting old already. Welcome to your home in last place for the season.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This craps getting old already. Welcome to your home in last place for the season.
Home Sweet Home

I wouldn't mind so much if they only just TRY to do more. But no, best to be the lazy bunch like they always are...

SEASON'S OVER

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-21 run differential (worst in MLB by 7 runs) and some really sloppy looking D equals last place, but thankfully they are only 2 games out.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Kelly has bigger balls than our entire pitching staff.

If you're going to be bad, at least put a fastball in the ribs of proven cheaters.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MarinersSpongeBob.png