• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let the fun begin, CA Gov signs college athlete likeness pay bill

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's crazy that people are against these players being paid even though they bust their ass off to make these colleges billions of dollars.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If all the petroleum companies formed the National Petroleum Association of America (NPAA), and that association dictated that all new petroleum engineers had to work for 30k and room and board for a couple of years, you and the federal government would be dropping the metaphorical hammer on such an unamerican, unfair, illegal, laughable monopoly.
For some reason, because it's the status quo, you Fools support the N(C)AA.

Worst analogy ever.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is nice for Tebow that he was fine losing all that endorsement money, but that was a personal preference. I don't see why a few that are ok to be exploited means that all should forced to be.
What endorsement money would a future player like Tebow get if they don't have a Heisman and Championships once they're ineligible ?

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I read South Carolina proposed something similar. But, that might be because there’s a lot of Gamecock lawmakers that know the only teams in the state competing for championships are from Clemson
South Carolina maybe petty but they are not that stupid. CFB is way too important for the state to risk and join a chicken war (pun not intended). Even in South Carolina current state as a football program, they still average 20,000 more in attendance than Southern California. You will have better luck at changing gun laws here

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA has lost numerous antitrust lawsuits in the past, where they have been forced to allow extra benefits. If it comes to it, this may be another.
You're talking benefits which is totally different from paying the student to play sports. scholarship athletes receive a free education, housing, meals and now you are supporting also paying them a salary while the rest of the student body has to pay for their education, meals, housing etc

Acrux.v2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the students are entitled to something, just not sure what that is.

The other side of this that no one has addressed yet, what does this do to High School sports? A 17, 18 year old knowing they could get paid the next year.. how many more risks do they or their family take to try and get a pay day? We have to remember whereas some of these kids are freakishly developed.. they are still young adults, still growing and not even close to mature.

Money always complicates things, so sure this will become a train wreck for the students, families, universities.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the law doesn't go into affect until 2023. That gives everybody a chance to find some solution.

I'm not sure what the solution would be, there are any number of ways. The easiest and quickest would be
to expel the Calif schools from the NCAA. I don't see them having any argument to prevent that from
happening. No school is forced to join the NCAA and they do it agreeing to obey the rules of the organization.

Just because it is legal in their state does not mean a National Organization has to adapt to what they want.

Being lawful in California does not, in anyway force the NCAA to change its rules. Florida has a law on the books that
gets agents thrown in jail for illegal contact or payment to college athletes.

Other avenues would be to eliminate all athletic scholarships to all athletes. And it is in the NCAA power to raise the
GPA for eligibility. Raising the GPA for eligibility is probably the best thing to do. That, and getting the NFL and
NBA to have draft rules akin to baseball. Now the NBA is going back to drafting out of HS in a year or two. The NFL
would have no choice if the GPA was raised and they would lose out on half of their players.

Changing this rule would have to go to the floor of the entire NCAA membership. Those 1-AA's, Div II and Div III
schools will not vote for this.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're talking benefits which is totally different from paying the student to play sports. scholarship athletes receive a free education, housing, meals and now you are supporting also paying them a salary while the rest of the student body has to pay for their education, meals, housing etc

They aren't being paid to play sports. They are being paid for other work.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a job you mofos! I'm on here every night AFTER work.
Supporting hairy clams is a tough job, but we have the right guy at the helm for it.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If all the petroleum companies formed the National Petroleum Association of America (NPAA), and that association dictated that all new petroleum engineers had to work for 30k and room and board for a couple of years, you and the federal government would be dropping the metaphorical hammer on such an unamerican, unfair, illegal, laughable monopoly.
For some reason, because it's the status quo, you Fools support the N(C)AA.

If after 3-4 years of using the National Petroleum resources and cutting edge techniques, those petroleum engineers could be hired for millions and millions of dollars — I’d think that is a pretty good gig?!?

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one am looking forward to the next great Arkansas QB reading a script about great values from Walmart or telling you about frozen Tyson chicken nuggets after his Cowboys cameo with Jerry Jones.

Lol I've been against paying athletes for a while but interested to see how this plays out. At least it's one step closer to getting NCAA video games back?

Gotta admit, Arky would be in good shape to payout some nice cheese to get good athletes with the alum money y’all have. I’m sorry, not Arkansas I mean Walmart and Jerry Jones lol.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the dumbest fucking thing ever.

I'm a wealthy booster and I own multiple car dealerships. I find the top recruits and I sign them to a sponsorship deal worth 50k each plus a brand new car to do 1 commerical for me.

This ruins college football. Creates a bidding war for top players.

I'll be done with cfb then and it sucks. Just have to watch nfl. Bummed about it. Fuck you California. May the big one wreck your fucking state.