• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let the fun begin, CA Gov signs college athlete likeness pay bill

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt they’ll pass something like that, and that would be more of a basketball issue.

North Carolina isn't too far-fetched. A Republican there has already presented a pay for likeness proposal.

As for "more of a basketball issue", I'm not sure if you think that makes it somehow irrelevant in the NCAA's eyes? Basketball in the state of NC is big business for the NCAA.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like how the state is going about it but I ultimately agree with the idea

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
North Carolina isn't too far-fetched. A Republican there has already presented a pay for likeness proposal.

As for "more of a basketball issue", I'm not sure if you think that makes it somehow irrelevant in the NCAA's eyes? Basketball in the state of NC is big business for the NCAA.
If basketball went away all together, college and pro, I wouldn’t even notice

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If basketball went away all together, college and pro, I wouldn’t even notice

Good for you...but the NCAA Basketball tournament is easily the biggest moneymaker for the NCAA.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The next step is finding anyone playing in California that's worth paying.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, does this just make the school pay for the use of the players' likeness, or does it make the schools pay the players? Cause if it is the first, I would just do what OSU does, and only sell #1 and #whatever year it is. All photos for promotions would use those numbers or some predetermined numbers, and all pictures would be of non-athletes in said uniforms.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on which states

I think I read South Carolina proposed something similar. But, that might be because there’s a lot of Gamecock lawmakers that know the only teams in the state competing for championships are from Clemson

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, does this just make the school pay for the use of the players' likeness, or does it make the schools pay the players? Cause if it is the first, I would just do what OSU does, and only sell #1 and #whatever year it is. All photos for promotions would use those numbers or some predetermined numbers, and all pictures would be of non-athletes in said uniforms.

I believe it's the first.

Reactions: gob

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you have antitrust lawsuits.
Nobody is preventing them from competing in athletics, their state is the one who decided to make their athletes professionals instead of amateurs. They can form their own league (just imagine how bad that will be, a worse version of the P12 network)

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It allows boosters and companies to buy players and push them going to a certain school. One hiccup is if a player signs with Adidas but goes to a Nike school, the Nike contract trumps Adidas and the player must wear Nike apparel during games. The school’s contract always trumps the player’s.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if this makes up for the unofficial payrolls we see from the usual suspects

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try not to let sports get to me but this issue really grilles my cheese. I'm going to explain "exploited" to you. I enlisted into the USMC....not drafted.....enlisted. Kinda like someone signing a Letter of Intent. I got free training, free food and free clothing.....even free weapons and ammo. Kinda like a college athlete getting the same things except no weapons and ammo but a lot of free pussy which is even better. I got to hump 70 lbs through triple canopy jungle and water up to my ass with the added benefit of someone trying to kill me. Kinda NOT like getting to play a game in a safe stadium like a college athlete. My point: I wasn't "exploited" at 19 any more than these athletes are being "exploited". We all make life choices. Everyone can make a different choice (like maybe all of us could just forgo the military thing or the sports thing and focus totally on our education, which we could pay for ourselves, or getting a nice safe job at that age). /rant off

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think exploited is too strong also. But the real reason we are at this point is because the NCAA has completely refused to come up with a creative solution in conjunction with the schools. There's about a million ways we could go about this but they've chosen to just bury their head in the sand and arbitrarily punish schools based on no criteria whatsoever.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the all the schools in California have enough money to pay all their student athletes?