• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let me get this straight.....

Devs_Jets_Yanks27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Numbers Game: Richards chooses New York Rangers

"For starters, Richards' deal has three years at the end of it that will pay him $1-million per season, which drives down the annual value of the contract for salary cap purposes, but also makes it very easy to buy out Richards in the final years (if he doesn't retire) when his cap hit is so much higher than the actual cash remaining on the contract."

Yes I'm well aware 9 years is certainly not 17 in terms of contract length and the ages when the contract expires are 40/44.

But I guess when the Rags make that signing, that must be different.....

"If Richards plays it out, then it's not salary cap circumvention, but suspicion understandably exists now regarding future intent."

But what if he doesn't or gets bought out?

Last edited by a moderator:

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's simple, when the NHLPA got the NHL to grandfather the Kovy contract, they finally established rules regarding these contracts, Kovy's second deal was, I believe, almost within these rules. The biggest change is that any years over 40 don't count when factoring in the cap hit. As long as you adhere to the new rules, it's fine.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon, does it really surprise you that the Rags (and other teams will again) get away with the same stuff we legally and fairly did at the time?

Hmmm Look whats at the general board

Last edited by a moderator:

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They both are cap circumvention. Same with Luongo, Hossa, Erhoff, Bryz, Pronger, Savard, and various others. I blame Buttman for the outrageous penalty assessed because it clearly wasn't meant to be used as a warning to other teams.

Erhoff's contract is even worse than the Kovy contract because for a few years he'll have a greater difference between actual salary and cap hit than Kovy will have in any year.

The NHL cannot do anything because of the deal made with the NHLPA. I'm wondering if the NHL will bring in punishment via changes in players cap hits and not grandfathering anything with the next CBA deal.

P.S. I added a note for the dumb rag$ trolls in the swamp mentioning that Richards' real contract goes to the same age as Kovachuk's. They really cannot cry about the Kovy contract anymore.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ranjizz Blow!

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i agree they are all cap circumventions in my book. i know the rules were rewritten but still the devils should not have been taken to the mat over it. i know betman "warned" other teams about this but how come i dont remember hearing anything about it?

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i agree they are all cap circumventions in my book. i know the rules were rewritten but still the devils should not have been taken to the mat over it. i know betman "warned" other teams about this but how come i dont remember hearing anything about it?

I remember it, besides, the league let us off the hook with the first contract, and we essentially spat in their faces with the second, IMO.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i try not to get into the whole 'the nhl hates the devils' bs. i really do....

but sometimes its painfully obvious...