• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lester now 6-0, sox stomp Rays: Jets so bad, Garrard walks out & retires

Zig

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thursday’s Patriot talking point?

The cold, ruthless approach the team takes with its employees. The evidence? Wednesday’s release of defensive tackle Kyle Love less than two weeks after Love was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.

Cases to avoid since they will muddy the waters and a paint-by-numbers rip job more difficult to execute?

The signing of Armond Armstead (heart attack at USC) last winter. The drafting of Marcus Cannon (non-Hodgkins lymphoma) in 2010. The employment of Matt Light for 10 seasons while Light battled Crohn’s Disease. The patience with Jeff Tarpinian as he recovered from a serious health issue in 2011. Sticking by Tedy Bruschi after Bruschi’s stroke in early 2005.

The Patriots have arguably proven themselves as being as forgiving and patient with medical issues as any team in the league.

What they do not do well is explain. And in the case of Love’s release, they are taking a beating on this Thursday because they haven’t shared their version of why they released Love.

Deadspin: How Can the New England Patriots Cut A Guy Because He Has Diabetes?
Pro Football Talk: Patriots' decision to cut Love looks like disability discrimination
What we know is that the Patriots released Love and provided the reason as NFI (Non-football injury/Illness), according to Love’s agent Richard Kopelman.

Kopelman told ESPNBoston’s Mike Reiss, “Naturally, we are disappointed that the Patriots decided to part ways with Kyle, especially in light of the fact that a number of elite professional athletes with diabetes – both Type-1, which is known to be far more difficult to manage than Type-2 diabetes – have had very successful careers in professional football, hockey, baseball and basketball.
“Prior to the diagnosis, Kyle recently experienced unexplained weight loss, but since being diagnosed and having altered his diet, Kyle has regained most of the weight he lost, is in good health, and was not limited in any way during offseason workouts in which he was engaged up until being told he would be released.”

Between Kopelman’s explanation and the NFI designation Kopelman says will be the reason for release, it appears simple: the Patriots released Love because he has Type-2 diabetes.

Now, I am neither an expert in diabetes nor disability law, but we can all agree that professional football has unique physical demands. And in the case of a defensive tackle, one of those demands is to be, in essence, morbidly obese. Morbidly obese doesn’t mix well with Type-2 diabetes. Love is a very, very large man. There are some players who carry their 330-or-so pounds pretty well. Others are shaped like bowling pins. Love is a bowling pin. Could he manage his diabetes and maintain the weight necessary to be a dependable employee on the defensive line? Certainly, that appears to have been a concern of the Patriots.

But factors beyond health no doubt figured into Love’s release. For instance, by the end of 2012, Love had been surpassed by Brandon Deaderick in the Patriots' defensive tackle rotation.

Deaderick, meanwhile, was released on Tuesday. So the fact Deaderick AND Love were released suggests something else is at play: Scheme.

The Patriots have signed Armond Armstead and former Raider Tommy Kelly this offseason. Additionally, they have Marcus Fortson back. All those players are leaner and faster than either Love or Deaderick. The Patriots are transitioning defensively from a team that plays a base 3-4 defense to a 4-3 team. They first made the switches on the outside last season. Now it appears they are working on the interior defensive line.

Here’s the thing, though. While there may be much more to Love’s release than “The Patriots cut him 'cuz of the diabetes . . . ” that’s the way it’s going to play today. And the Patriots rarely deign to defend themselves.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, but there is a difference in someone being really disappointed in their team losing and someone who wants to fight.

When my teams lose a really big game, it kicks my ass for a good week or so. If the Patriots lose, yeah, the following week is less fun and enjoyable.

Maybe I'm confusing your messaging here.. Because I've never begun to instigate a fight over sports in my life.

You know the guys that wear the jerseys on the couch, scream and throw shit at the TV, break shit when their team loses.

We all know those guys.

The only reason they aren't actually fighting is because there isn't anyone around at the moment for them to fight....except maybe their kids and wives.

You don't actually have to be at the stadium to be a douche sports fan. They're everywhere. And if your team losing drives you to do any of that shit, you have serious problems.

Mike Oxlodge

I'm better looking than U
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know if his anger issues are due to lack of canned beer today. I think he's off his meds.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, but there is a difference in someone being really disappointed in their team losing and someone who wants to fight.

When my teams lose a really big game, it kicks my ass for a good week or so. If the Patriots lose, yeah, the following week is less fun and enjoyable.

Maybe I'm confusing your messaging here.. Because I've never begun to instigate a fight over sports in my life.

This is what a good woman is for

Yankees or Giants lose a meaningful game, I send her to work the next day looking like Jodie Foster on a pinball machine, so obviously she's also a big sports fan

Ron Burgundy

I look good...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're talking like it's not like that at every NFL stadium.

It is.

I've been to about ten stadiums...

Colts fans are the classiest I've ever seen...

Dolphins fans are pretty mellow too...

Broncos fans are total pussies.

Titans fans were actually pretty dickish... Pats fans have their moments..

The ballsiest visiting fans I've ever seen at Gillette are always the Ravens fans.. I've been to all three of the Pats/Ravens playoff games since 09 and in both games the Ravens beat us, their fans were real assholes.

At this year's AFCCG, there was a row of about 9 early 20's fans sitting right in front of me and they were really giving it to a few older Pats fans in front of them. This one guy just snapped, stood up, hopped over a few seats and got right in this one kids face and told him "if you make fun of my kid again, I'll kill you, I'll fuckin kill you" and stared him down from 6 inches away... The whole group of the nine of them collectively pissed themselves over this one dude..

They didn't breathe for the rest of the game... Was funny..

Anyway.. Cool story, I know..

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thursday’s Patriot talking point?

The cold, ruthless approach the team takes with its employees. The evidence? Wednesday’s release of defensive tackle Kyle Love less than two weeks after Love was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.

Cases to avoid since they will muddy the waters and a paint-by-numbers rip job more difficult to execute?

The signing of Armond Armstead (heart attack at USC) last winter. The drafting of Marcus Cannon (non-Hodgkins lymphoma) in 2010. The employment of Matt Light for 10 seasons while Light battled Crohn’s Disease. The patience with Jeff Tarpinian as he recovered from a serious health issue in 2011. Sticking by Tedy Bruschi after Bruschi’s stroke in early 2005.

The Patriots have arguably proven themselves as being as forgiving and patient with medical issues as any team in the league.

What they do not do well is explain. And in the case of Love’s release, they are taking a beating on this Thursday because they haven’t shared their version of why they released Love.

Deadspin: How Can the New England Patriots Cut A Guy Because He Has Diabetes?
Pro Football Talk: Patriots' decision to cut Love looks like disability discrimination
What we know is that the Patriots released Love and provided the reason as NFI (Non-football injury/Illness), according to Love’s agent Richard Kopelman.

Kopelman told ESPNBoston’s Mike Reiss, “Naturally, we are disappointed that the Patriots decided to part ways with Kyle, especially in light of the fact that a number of elite professional athletes with diabetes – both Type-1, which is known to be far more difficult to manage than Type-2 diabetes – have had very successful careers in professional football, hockey, baseball and basketball.
“Prior to the diagnosis, Kyle recently experienced unexplained weight loss, but since being diagnosed and having altered his diet, Kyle has regained most of the weight he lost, is in good health, and was not limited in any way during offseason workouts in which he was engaged up until being told he would be released.”

Between Kopelman’s explanation and the NFI designation Kopelman says will be the reason for release, it appears simple: the Patriots released Love because he has Type-2 diabetes.

Now, I am neither an expert in diabetes nor disability law, but we can all agree that professional football has unique physical demands. And in the case of a defensive tackle, one of those demands is to be, in essence, morbidly obese. Morbidly obese doesn’t mix well with Type-2 diabetes. Love is a very, very large man. There are some players who carry their 330-or-so pounds pretty well. Others are shaped like bowling pins. Love is a bowling pin. Could he manage his diabetes and maintain the weight necessary to be a dependable employee on the defensive line? Certainly, that appears to have been a concern of the Patriots.

But factors beyond health no doubt figured into Love’s release. For instance, by the end of 2012, Love had been surpassed by Brandon Deaderick in the Patriots' defensive tackle rotation.

Deaderick, meanwhile, was released on Tuesday. So the fact Deaderick AND Love were released suggests something else is at play: Scheme.

The Patriots have signed Armond Armstead and former Raider Tommy Kelly this offseason. Additionally, they have Marcus Fortson back. All those players are leaner and faster than either Love or Deaderick. The Patriots are transitioning defensively from a team that plays a base 3-4 defense to a 4-3 team. They first made the switches on the outside last season. Now it appears they are working on the interior defensive line.

Here’s the thing, though. While there may be much more to Love’s release than “The Patriots cut him 'cuz of the diabetes . . . ” that’s the way it’s going to play today. And the Patriots rarely deign to defend themselves.

yyyyyyyyyyup

people are idiots

PPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember last week when I said Kevin Durant has become who LeBron used to be..GARBAGE in the 4th quarter and then someone criticized and displayed his full game averages??

Then when I said what does that have to do with the 4th quarter someone laughed at that??

Yeeeeaaaaahhhhh Kevin Durant had 1 fucking point in the 4th quarter last night.

So pay the fuck attention.

Without Westbrook and Harden, that supporting cast is pretty damn garbage. Jackson, Sefelosha, Perkins, Fisher? Terrible.

Trading Harden was a stupid mistake.

Zig

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just ordered my Oxlodge 42 Jersey

huge fan

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shockingly, they're both wearing jerseys with other men's names on them!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sake Bomb Sam

FREE UNO!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll purposely wear that jersey when I'm in Boston.

Careful where you tread young Oxlodge or you may taste the Blade of Smirnoff, that is wielded by the dark knight of Foxborough, Sir Snoogins

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move staying out of New York on your "I love the Patriots" world tour Ron

Because I will smash your entire face in with this "BRAND NEW MOTOR BOAT"

That's right Ron, you and your lovely family will be riding along the Hudson River in this gorgeous Eclipse 650000 Motor Boat, for being a fine contestant on the Price is Right!

Come on Down Ron Burgundy!

Ron Burgundy

I look good...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is usually that time at CBS where Frankensnoog would run to the admins like a little baby. Cant do it here fuck face!!!

This is where half-dick rapidly tries to change the subject because he knows I'm right.