• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

lefell signed with pats

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. I don't think we need him.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. I don't think we need him.

Why not? He had his best season last year, has good size and seems to be durable. Seems like a good deal for the price.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy with the talent we already had. It may not be expensive but that's an extra body that takes reps and likely a roster spot.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy with the talent we already had. It may not be expensive but that's an extra body that takes reps and likely a roster spot.

I agree to a certain extent, but injuries are rampant in Pats receivers. This new addition has been in the league 4 years and has played in all but four games, probably not much, but he did have 5 TDs last year. I think it could help, because it seems that the rookie Pats receivers are missing a lot of games because of injury. Just food for thought.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't be a lot. Dobson should be fine well before camp, though. The point is there's only so many spots. Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce should all be locked in. Edelman and LaFell just got contracts, so they're there. Slater's probably a lock for special teams. Does this mean Amendola goes? I don't know that I see a roster spot for him.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lafell is a solid young receiver with good size. Not a bad signing at that price considering his age.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't be a lot. Dobson should be fine well before camp, though. The point is there's only so many spots. Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce should all be locked in. Edelman and LaFell just got contracts, so they're there. Slater's probably a lock for special teams. Does this mean Amendola goes? I don't know that I see a roster spot for him.

Amendola is probably the one on the bubble. He had a couple of good games but his injuries only helped to certify that he is fragile. However, both Thompkins and Dobson missed crucial playing time down the stretch, hell Gronk has not played a full season, so decisions need to be made.

Edit: Gronk played the first two seasons in full, but his injuries are worrisome.

Last edited by a moderator:

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back-and-forth with the Broncos: Perhaps it was a coincidence, but news of LaFell's agreement with the Patriots came shortly after it was learned that former Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders (whom the Patriots had signed to a restricted free-agent offer sheet last year) had agreed to terms with the Broncos. This has been a wild week for both teams in terms of significant free-agent signings, and the back-and-forth continued late Saturday night.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free-agent wide receiver Kenny Britt, a 2009 first-round draft choice of the Tennessee Titans, is scheduled to visit the Patriots on Sunday, the NFL Network reports.

The 6-foot-3, 223-pound Britt played at Rutgers under Greg Schiano, one of Bill Belichick's close friends in the coaching fraternity. Britt hasn't met expectations in the NFL, in part due to injury and non-football reasons, and is coming off a season in which he played in 12 games and totaled 11 receptions.

The Patriots agreed to terms with free-agent receiver Julian Edelman on Saturday, and the reported visit with Britt indicates the team is still considering adding to its receiving corps.

Free-agent receivers Brandon LaFell (Panthers) and Jason Avant (Eagles) previously visited the team.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back-and-forth with the Broncos: Perhaps it was a coincidence, but news of LaFell's agreement with the Patriots came shortly after it was learned that former Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders (whom the Patriots had signed to a restricted free-agent offer sheet last year) had agreed to terms with the Broncos. This has been a wild week for both teams in terms of significant free-agent signings, and the back-and-forth continued late Saturday night.

Denver signed Sanders to take over for Welker who is in his last year.....

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free-agent wide receiver Kenny Britt, a 2009 first-round draft choice of the Tennessee Titans, is scheduled to visit the Patriots on Sunday, the NFL Network reports.

The 6-foot-3, 223-pound Britt played at Rutgers under Greg Schiano, one of Bill Belichick's close friends in the coaching fraternity. Britt hasn't met expectations in the NFL, in part due to injury and non-football reasons, and is coming off a season in which he played in 12 games and totaled 11 receptions.

The Patriots agreed to terms with free-agent receiver Julian Edelman on Saturday, and the reported visit with Britt indicates the team is still considering adding to its receiving corps.

Free-agent receivers Brandon LaFell (Panthers) and Jason Avant (Eagles) previously visited the team.

Interesting. It sheds new light on the fact that the receiver position could be more open than previously thought. The only injury-free receiver the pats have had in recent years was Randy Moss, but then, he never really got injured in his career, I think, could be wrong.
The Pats do this every year, bring in a bunch of potential players to raise the bar, hope it works out because we are depleted in that position. When was the last time a decent WR lasted a full season?

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a nice signing. BB and company are doing work this off season.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No to britt. That's too many bodies.

The way I see it, unless we let slater go and replace his special teams production, one of Boyce, Amendola, and Lafell doesn't make the final team. If Harrison makes a strong push, probably two of the three are gone.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pats are getting physically big at WR. Part of a response to Seattle's "legion of boom?" BB saw how the Seahawks manhandled Peyton's receivers. Now Britt is coming in. If the Pats sign him, at least two current receivers need to go. Thompkins will almost certainly be one of them. Who else? Boyce? Amendola? Is Dobson's injury more serious than we have been told? This shift in the type of WR's may sacrifice speed (Boyce) for size. Also, maybe the rumors of Amendola being shopped are more than just idle chatter. It will be interesting to see what develops. I only hope that, when the dust settles on WR, BB seriously addresses the interior offensive line.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Britt is interesting.
He has the size and speed, and Randy Moss has told him he had the talent, physical size and ability, and (debatable) intelligence to be an elite #1 receiver.
But he has never shown the smarts. On the field, he is half hearted knowing the Titans were never going anywhere but mediocrity, and off field he has had a number of boneheaded issues.

One of them, he attempted to drive drunk onto Fort Campbell. Then tried to flee. Seriously? Past armed soldiers, MP's and Fort Campbell police at a military installation???

A couple of years ago I hoped that he could end up with the Patriots, but with idiocy like that, I'm surprised Bill would even entertain it. Granted, none of it has been outright thuggary, just dumb stunts, but still surprised.

melmaan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offer Britt a contract "Worthy of his past" ... a modest, incentive laden deal. Sell Brady and the annual trip to the playoffs for exposure and note the revival and $ made by no-body's like (Welker) and malcontents like Dillon, Talib etc.... Benefits of being a Patriot (btw - How many x-Patriots are Network analysts now?)

Roll the dice. Britt was on the verge of being a dominant TD WR.
MOST of these guys grow up after 2-3 years of being braindead. Belicheck and Brady would likely be his last best chance.

Bill ain't afraid of Strike Outs (Haynesworth-Chad Johnson)
He'll Swing for the Fences (Rodney-Moss-Dillon-Revis)

rehone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the great wastes of talent ever. 6-3 224 pounds 4.47 40 and had a very priductive career at Rutgers and in bowl games. I am intrigued by him but also scared by him. I have watched games where he physically manhandled the players trying to cover him and games where he made no effort at all. Then again he did have bad Quarterbacks but lack of effort scares me.

The one thing he has going for him is Schiano who BB trusts implicitly like he trusts several other coaches in college. If he is signed it is a high reward and low risk because Britt is not getting a big contract.

I kind of agree with JDM here when I think it over carefully. Receiver in the NFL and particularly in the Pats offense is one of the technically most difficult positions to play because like the QB receviers have to read defenses.I thought Dobson and Thompkins improved as the year went on and I am biased about Dobson because I think he has the smarts, talent, and size to become an elite receiver with Brady throwing to him.

I am reticent to see that development stunted by loss of reps in practice. I also firmly believe BB with draft one of three top Tight Ends in the draft because the Gronk combo with another Tight end is a nightmare for any defense including Seattle's defense. Ironically I think smaller and quicker receivers are better against a Seattle than bigger.

If Pats or anyone could harness Britt's talent he could be a superstar but then if the Queen had balls she would be the King as the old adage goes.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Edelman had walked, I'd be willing to let britt fight it our with Lafell. But IMO at least one of Amendola, Lafell, and Boyce already isn't going to make the cut. There's simply not enough roster spots.