• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lebron's Legacy After Tonight

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know that if Lebron plays a great game tonight and the Heat win, it will greatly enhance his legacy as he will have a 2nd ring, a 2nd Finals MVP and will have come up big in a game 7!!

We also know that if Lebron has a sub-par game and the Heat lose, it will damage his legacy, possibly beyond repair.

Dan Patrick posed a couple of interesting questions this morning re: Lebron's legacy!!

What happens to his legacy if Lebron has a sub-par game, but the Heat win?

What happens to his legacy if he has a great game and the Heat lose?

Please try to keep things objective as this is not a Lebron hate thread or a slobber on Lebron thread.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer my own questions:

I think that if Lebron has a sub-par game and the Heat win, it will help his legacy!! He will have a 2nd ring and likely, a 2nd finals MVP. Outside of a few haters, most don't remember that Kobe shot 6 for 24 in Game 7 vs. the Celtics in 2010. Most just remember that he got his 5th ring and 2nd finals MVP.

On the other hand, if he has a great game and the Heat lose, I think it will hurt his legacy. The narrative is likely to be that even with a "stacked team", he couldn't get the job done!!

Thoughts?

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh look, another Lebron topic started by a Laker fan. Thanks for continuing to prove my point!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh look, another Lebron topic started by a Laker fan. Thanks for continuing to prove my point!

Prove what point? It's a legitimate question. Or is it somehow not legit since I'm a Laker fan?

Lebron is arguably the most scrutinized athlete in history and thanks to social media and the 24/7 news cycle his legacy seems to literally change from possession to possession.

If you don't like the thread, stay off of it and go start your own thread crying about Laker fans starting threads about Lebron!!

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prove what point? It's a legitimate question. Or is it somehow not legit since I'm a Laker fan?

Lebron is arguably the most scrutinized athlete in history and thanks to social media and the 24/7 news cycle his legacy seems to literally change from possession to possession.

If you don't like the thread, stay off of it and go start your own thread crying about Laker fans starting threads about Lebron!!

Already have, and the overwhelming consensus is that yes, Laker fans are butthurt over Lebron James and the Heat.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...al-discussion/102333-laker-fans-butthurt.html

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already have, and the overwhelming consensus is that yes, Laker fans are butthurt over Lebron James and the Heat.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...al-discussion/102333-laker-fans-butthurt.html

Then why not either answer the legit questions on this thread, rather than troll it because a Laker fan started it?

If you don't like this thread, feel free to avoid it and go back to your troll thread!!

I'm not one of those fans that dislikes Lebron, but can't admit that he's a great player. I put him in the same category as MJ and Bird. Two all-time great players that I didn't like, but had no problem admitting how great they were.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilt Chamberlain was 2-5 in NBA Finals.... His legacy is just fine I would say...

Same as LeBron's will be win or lose this series.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here are my thoughts...

Subpar game and a loss. Legacy damaged. He will get blamed for the finals loss.

Subpar game and a win. Legacy enhanced. Back to Back MVP and Back to Back finals MVP. With two triple doubles already in the finals, it would be hard to imagine any other heat player winning. Wade would literally have to drop 50 will putting up a quadruple double and hitting the game winning shot from half court while being fouled to take the finals MVP. winning will cover up any bad stat line.

Great game win. see above.

great game loss. No change. he wont be blamed. he showed up. because of how we are.. we will blame wade and bosh. or the role players. or the coach. truth is, if he plays great and they lose. my hat will be off to the Spurs. one for overcoming the emotionally crippling loss of game 6, but for their 4th championship (5th overall) with this core. Pops will have his 5th. Sometimes you can be great and get beaten.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilt Chamberlain was 2-5 in NBA Finals.... His legacy is just fine I would say...

Same as LeBron's will be win or lose this series.

Good point re: Wilt!! However, I think that Wilt gets a little bit of a pass (maybe more than he should) because there was always Russell and the Celtics in the way!!

Now, his legacy of sleeping with some 20,000 women.........untouchable!!:lol:

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here are my thoughts...

Subpar game and a win. Legacy enhanced. Back to Back MVP and Back to Back finals MVP. With two triple doubles already in the finals, it would be hard to imagine any other heat player winning. Wade would literally have to drop 50 will putting up a quadruple double and hitting the game winning shot from half court while being fouled to take the finals MVP. winning will cover up any bad stat line.

great game loss. No change. he wont be blamed. he showed up. because of how we are.. we will blame wade and bosh. or the role players. or the coach. truth is, if he plays great and they lose. my hat will be off to the Spurs. one for overcoming the emotionally crippling loss of game 6, but for their 4th championship (5th overall) with this core. Pops will have his 5th. Sometimes you can be great and get beaten.

This is very true. The 80s Celtics-Lakers teams were both great but only one could be champion each year.

Sadly, in our culture today, especially when it comes to the internet, we pay more attention to the losers of the championship and how they suck instead of giving credit to the team that beat them.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point re: Wilt!! However, I think that Wilt gets a little bit of a pass (maybe more than he should) because there was always Russell and the Celtics in the way!!

Now, his legacy of sleeping with some 20,000 women.........untouchable!!:lol:

Yeah, but on the other hand he had the logo and Elgin Baylor on his team for a few years.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win or lose Lebrons legacy will remain the same. The only thing that would probably enhance it would be if he broke some kind of record or gave us an awe inspiring moment no one can ever forget. The problem with this legacy question is that his career is far from over. Lets see his whole body of work first then we can really answer this question.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is very true. The 80s Celtics-Lakers teams were both great but only one could be champion each year.

Sadly, in our culture today, especially when it comes to the internet, we pay more attention to the losers of the championship and how they suck instead of giving credit to the team that beat them.

:agree::clap:

Try being primarily a CFB fan and your team is the Ducks. Many look at 47 wins in 4 years, 4 straight BCS bowls as a failure because they havent took home the Crystal.

THere are 125 teams in FBS and only one wins the title. 12 win seasons, BCS / Rose Bowl wins are viewed as a failure by many. Just because they havent won the NATTY.

I will take Rose Bowl wins, BCS wins, PAC 12 titles, and 12 win season all day long. Crystal football would just be icing on the cake

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Try being primarily a CFB fan and your team is the Ducks. Many look at 47 wins in 4 years, 4 straight BCS bowls as a failure because they havent took home the Crystal.

THere are 125 teams in FBS and only one wins the title. 12 win seasons, BCS / Rose Bowl wins are viewed as a failure by many. Just because they havent won the NATTY.

I will take Rose Bowl wins, BCS wins, PAC 12 titles, and 12 win season all day long. Crystal football would just be icing on the cake

Yeah, you're also not likely to hear Pacer or Celtic fans chanting "Eastern Conference....Eastern Conference" if Miami wins tonight.

Likewise with the Western Conference chant from Lakers and Thunder fans if the Spurs win.

:laugh3:

Sman2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win or lose Lebrons legacy will remain the same. The only thing that would probably enhance it would be if he broke some kind of record or gave us an awe inspiring moment no one can ever forget. The problem with this legacy question is that his career is far from over. Lets see his whole body of work first then we can really answer this question.

Montsho you are a fucking moron, you do know that?....The reality is if he loses tonight and plays poorly he's going to take an Enormous hit to his legacy. He'll be 1-3 in the finals, and the sports world is going to let you know about it....

....if he wins, the media will continue to Gush over him, and give him all this false praise which he doesn't deserve...

Clearly Lebron has a had a poor series, (starting every game off 3-13) and is the reason we're now at game 7. Mia has 5 times the talent and team as the Spurs do, and the series should've been over a long time ago. However Lebron played so bad, especially game 6 and closing minutes that the Spurs should've won by now...That's reality...Media will ignore this should the heat win, and forget that Lebron really lost the series minus the luck and bailout by Ray A...And they will through a nauseating parade for Lebron.

That's the answer to your question.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montsho you are a fucking moron, you do know that?....The reality is if he loses tonight and plays poorly he's going to take an Enormous hit to his legacy. He'll be 1-3 in the finals, and the sports world is going to let you know about it....

....if he wins, the media will continue to Gush over him, and give him all this false praise which he doesn't deserve...

Clearly Lebron has a had a poor series, (starting every game off 3-13) and is the reason we're now at game 7. Mia has 5 times the talent and team as the Spurs do, and the series should've been over a long time ago. However Lebron played so bad, especially game 6 and closing minutes that the Spurs should've won by now...That's reality...Media will ignore this should the heat win, and forget that Lebron really lost the series minus the luck and bailout by Ray A...And they will through a nauseating parade for Lebron.

That's the answer to your question.
Its ok Sman. I know you are observing all of your superstitious rituals and poking your Lebron voodoo doll in hopes that he has a bad game and the Heat lose. The problem with your dumb rant is that what you think is not reflective of society at large. Only Lebron haters will say his legacy, before he even finishes playing the game, will take a hit. Only Kobe nut hair groomers will immediately dismiss him. Its their only hope to keep Kobe relevant.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only folks who think this way are folks of teams who most likely suck so bad nothing is expected of them, or ones that are decent but have a strong tradition. There is nothing at all to be but proud of what Oregon has done over the last 4 years.

In regards to the Lebron legacy, the only way it can be hurt is if it goes the same way as game 6 at the end but they lose. People were ready to already say he wasn't great because he had some (admittedly) critical mistakes at the end, but he came up huge. Even if he has a triple-double tonight, if he turns the ball over late and it costs them the game, he will be torn to ribbons.

That said, he could go 0-40. If the Heat win, they're only receiving that trophy because of him. His expectations were obviously astronomical and have been for a decade now, but if you step back and look at it, he is an unbelievable player and a once in a generation talent. Without him, the Heat are either a late lottery team or an early exit playoff team. He's a difference maker in the most extreme sense of the word.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here are my thoughts...

On the bolded part: Do you mean Heat fans or other fans and media? I agree with you when it comes to Heat fans. I'm not so sure about the media and other fans.

Ftr, for me, I would agree with Heat fans re: his legacy if he has a great game and they lose!! The guy will have done all that he could and not matter how great a player is, teammates have to step up!!

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flauge. Do you honestly think Lebron can win MVP with a subpar game? By subpar I mean anything less than 15pts, 6 rbs, 5 asts. Also do you honestly think that haters/supporters opinions are going to change regardless of the outcome? The people in the middle of those groups are really going to be the only ones that may have some movement to me. Those people are very rare.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only folks who think this way are folks of teams who most likely suck so bad nothing is expected of them, or ones that are decent but have a strong tradition. There is nothing at all to be but proud of what Oregon has done over the last 4 years.

In regards to the Lebron legacy, the only way it can be hurt is if it goes the same way as game 6 at the end but they lose. People were ready to already say he wasn't great because he had some (admittedly) critical mistakes at the end, but he came up huge. Even if he has a triple-double tonight, if he turns the ball over late and it costs them the game, he will be torn to ribbons.

That said, he could go 0-40. If the Heat win, they're only receiving that trophy because of him. His expectations were obviously astronomical and have been for a decade now, but if you step back and look at it, he is an unbelievable player and a once in a generation talent. Without him, the Heat are either a late lottery team or an early exit playoff team. He's a difference maker in the most extreme sense of the word.

Completely agree with alot of this!! Not sure why the Ducks get minimalized for what they have accomplished and Duck fans should enjoy it and be proud of it.

I also agree that Lebron will likely be ripped if the Heat lose!! It's not fair, but it is what it is!! Unfortunately, many will not appreciate just how good he really is, until after he retires, if then.

For me, in the end, the guy is a once in a decade or so player and love him or hate him, he should be recognized as such!!

I agree with mont re: him still having years left to determine his legacy, however, as I pointed out, in todays world of social media and other forms of "instant access" his legacy is literally changing from possession to possession. I don't know where he will fall in the discussion of all-time greats when he retires, I just know that he will be solidly involved in any discussion.