• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LeBron James' White House Tweet

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*While making $12 million last year*

I can understand why people say this in response to Kaepernick, but a lot of these guys grew up in poor ghettos surrounded by gang violence and grew up dirt poor.

Just because they are gifted athletes and got thru adversity to make millions of dollars doesn't mean they've never lived an unprivileged life and that they can't stand up up for kids that are in similar situations but without the athletic ability.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand why people say this in response to Kaepernick, but a lot of these guys grew up in poor ghettos surrounded by gang violence and grew up dirt poor.

Just because they are gifted athletes and got thru adversity to make millions of dollars doesn't mean they've never lived an unprivileged life and that they can't stand up up for kids that are in similar situations but without the athletic ability.

Although true. Kaep was adopted by a well off white family. His situation doesn't apply here. I know that sounds incredibly ignorant.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although true. Kaep was adopted by a well off white family. His situation doesn't apply here. I know that sounds incredibly ignorant.
That's why I said "I can understand this in response to Kaepernick"

But I've seen it applied to a lot of players now that everyone is kneeling, and it really makes no sense whatsoever.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I said "I can understand this in response to Kaepernick"

But I've seen it applied to a lot of players now that everyone is kneeling, and it really makes no sense whatsoever.

Looked over that part. Thing is, it's not just black people that grow up in underprivileged areas. In the end, you can determine your own outcome or use your environment as an excuse. I grew up in a single parent household where we'd be classified as low-to-middle class. I used that as fuel to get out of my then current situation.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked over that part. Thing is, it's not just black people that grow up in underprivileged areas. In the end, you can determine your own outcome or use your environment as an excuse. I grew up in a single parent household where we'd be classified as low-to-middle class. I used that as fuel to get out of my then current situation.

If you're black you have a much better chance of growing up in poverty, and this is because of institutionalized racism, which in turn causes white privilege. I also grew up poor, both parents alcoholics, but I never had to worry about getting stopped by the cops because I happened to look suspicious.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOVE this post...

lived it too. no matter how shitty your start is in life, EVERYONE has the abilty to overcome it...

like with everything, it just depends on how bad you want it...

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're black you have a much better chance of growing up in poverty, and this is because of institutionalized racism, which in turn causes white privilege. I also grew up poor, both parents alcoholics, but I never had to worry about getting stopped by the cops because I happened to look suspicious.

lol i did...

gotta love racial profiling...

Reactions: TJL

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol i did...

gotta love racial profiling...

When I worked near Hunts Point in the Bronx I got pulled over all the time for driving while white. The cops just assumed I was there for drugs or prostitutes. It happened so often that I tried to avoid the area after dropping off co workers at the train station (Didn't want them to walk in that area after dark) but they'd still pull me over. It got to the point I'd hand them my business card with the license and registration so I wouldn't have to answer why I was there. Granted this was 20 years ago and NYC was a MUCH different and more dangerous place so the cops were pretty aggressive

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Institutionalized racism needs to stop being the answer to every problem in the black community.

No one is forcing people to drop out of school, which leads to poverty.

No one is forcing people to have over 70% of children in a community to be born into single parent households, which contributes to poverty due to having to support multiple households.

No one is forcing people to have kids in their teens before they are remotely ready financially or emotionally which contributes to poverty.

No one is forcing anyone to kill each other. Homicide rates in black communities is several times those of other communities, which causes businesses to leave making goods and services more expensive and lessens the amount of jobs, which contributes to poverty. The crime statistics for 2016 just came out and there were close to 7900 homicides in the black community with only a tiny fraction at the hands of police. That's 1300 more homicides than Whites and Latinos combined. Since BLM began protesting over policing and the police have pulled back homicides in the black community went up from about 6000 in 2014 to close to 7000 in 2015 and now have grown to just under 7900. 2017 so far doesn't look any better.

I grew up in a crime ridden community in the 80's and 90's. My friends and I were hassled by the police all the time. Sometimes with good reason, sometimes without. The key is not race in most cases, it's the amount of crime, especially violent crime in a given area.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article documents some of the great work he's been doing as well. Don't get me wrong, Kaep isn't perfect but he has backed up his words in terms of helping communties and etc. He isn't just all talk.

Kaepernick's charity work putting NFL owners in disgraceful light

Not a fan of how he chose to protest and never will be. I still don't think it was well thought out either.

Having said that...he seems to have at least been doing things to back it up and he's the only one who has maintained a consistent message.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of how he chose to protest and never will be. I still don't think it was well thought out either.

Having said that...he seems to have at least been doing things to back it up and he's the only one who has maintained a consistent message.

Yeah I really respect what he & Malcom Jenkins are doing. Both are backing up their causes.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not to change the subject but did you hear what Deshaun Watson did? He donated his 1st game check to 3 RNG Stadium cafeteria workers that were affected by Hurricane Harvey.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different folks frame this matter in different ways, but to me the overall disconnect here seems to be...

1.) Eric Reid, Colin Kaepernick, et al, and supporters don't seem to view such a protest as either disrespecting or striking against the anthem and/or the flag and/or the idea of the United States itself.

2.) Criticizers of the protest do seem to view this form of protest as either disrespecting or striking against the anthem and/or the flag and/or the idea of the United States itself.

It's a well-spoken opinion piece... but, speaking as a criticizer, none of it explains away the plain fact (as it seems to be) that this form of protest... no matter how gentle it is... does indeed throw the United States under the bus. As if the U.S. was the problem. As if the U.S. was a racist state that encourages and upholds these injustices.

That's where I'm at.

LUNCHBOX

LOGIC
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"U bum @StephenCurry30 already said he ain't going! So therefore ain't no invite. Going to White House was a great honor until you showed up!"

I know I will get a lot of shit for posting this but I think LeBron James crossed a line here. I was never exactly a fan of him to begin with, however this so-called role model and community activist just proves what a self-absorbed asshole he is. Fine if you don't like the person, but very disrespectful to the position of President of the United States.

I also think this is a weak attempt to make nice with Steph Curry
The guy is a fool...its amazing that he takes a swipe at Trump votes as being uneducated, IN BROKEN FUCKING ENGLISH, completely ignoring the fact the he only finished high school...

Full disclosure I hated him before his social justice nonsense, but this just confirms it

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to change the subject but did you hear what Deshaun Watson did? He donated his 1st game check to 3 RNG Stadium cafeteria workers that were affected by Hurricane Harvey.

Hadn't heard that. Love stuff like that. Good on him. That's a guy who get it.