• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LeBron James' White House Tweet

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of the good things kaep is doing to bring about change in the community @Heatles84

About Us – Know Your Rights Camp

That's fair. Sad to say, a lot of people (I realize how horrible this is going to sound) in general take a really poor approach in how they interact with the police - even borderline taunting them which just brings about a horrible situation. I can at least get behind him educating black youths, or just youths in general on how to be intelligent/street smart and not draw unnecessary attention to yourself or put yourself in a vulnerable situation.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair. Sad to say, a lot of people (I realize how horrible this is going to sound) in general take a really poor approach in how they interact with the police - even borderline taunting them which just brings about a horrible situation. I can at least get behind him educating black youths, or just youths in general on how to be intelligent/street smart and not draw unnecessary attention to yourself or put yourself in a vulnerable situation.

As I shared earlier in the thread, my Dad was a police officer.

A couple of years out of high school, when I realized my dreams of playing in the NFL weren't going to happen, I decided I wanted to be a police officer.

My Dad, who worked the graveyard shift in the worst Hispanic gang infested part of the city (because that's where the action was) was dead set against it.

We finally reached an agreement. I would go on 3 ride alongs with him. After that, if I still wanted to be a cop, he would not only give me his blessing, but would help to get into his department if that's what I wanted.

I knew after the 1st ride along that I wasn't going to be a cop, but went ahead and did the other 2. The shit I watched him have to put up with was ridiculous. I would have probably lasted half a shift before I got fired for beating the hell out of some asshole who truly deserved it. Hell, If not for my Dad telling me to "stay in the damn car" at every stop, he'd probably have had to arrest me. lol

This was the mid-80's when things weren't nearly as bad as they are now. Not long before he died, my Dad and I talked about that. It was also the first time I told him I was done after my first ride along and why.

He said that he didn't want me to be a cop because he could see where things were headed and didn't want me to have to deal with that crap.

The most important thing I learned from my Dad was that whenever I had to deal with a cop, for whatever reason...be respectful, polite and show him that I was no threat. He said to do that, even if the cop is being a complete asshole.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My view of the protests is that it has moved somewhat away from police brutality and more toward social equality and directly protesting Trump for how he interacts with people and views race relations.

The beef I have with the police issues is simple. There needs to be attention paid to the issue at hand, but the type of attention it has gotten from the media does not help and in fact has made things worse, IMO.

I work with kids and just today I had to break up a fight between 2 8 year olds. They were playing a game. 1 broke a rule unintentionally, and the other called him a cheater. The "cheater" got mad and yelled back. Seconds later they came to blows. If either one had paused to Deescalate, it would have been super easy to avoid. But, they are 8 and lack the social skills.

This is similar to how many of the police shootings have played out. A completely innocent black man gets stopped on a case of mistaken identify, profiling, etc.. He is pissed, understandably so. Instead of complying with the officer's requests, he becomes defiant and argues with the cop. The onus of deescalating the situation falls on the cop who is already on edge. A well trained officer should be able to handle it correctly, but if it happens on the wrong day at the wrong time, they are human too. The situation could end just like my 2 8 year olds. Except that 1 has a gun.

The way I teach my kids to handle disputes with an authority figure is simple. Listen and comply with what they ask in the Heat of the moment. Once you comply, they are more likely to deescalate because they see you aren't a threat to them. A calm conversation at that time is much more likely to allow you to get your voice heard than a heated one in the moment.
That sounds a lot like hurricane and handicappers:lol:

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun game to watch. I hope all of them go down to the wire like the first 2. With the Sparks winning game 5 of course.
:hellno:

Lynx were robbed last year. This is their year... again! :lol:

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B
Fun game to watch. I hope all of them go down to the wire like the first 2. With the Sparks winning game 5 of course.
Both games have been thrillers, though.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"U bum @StephenCurry30 already said he ain't going! So therefore ain't no invite. Going to White House was a great honor until you showed up!"

I know I will get a lot of shit for posting this but I think LeBron James crossed a line here. I was never exactly a fan of him to begin with, however this so-called role model and community activist just proves what a self-absorbed asshole he is. Fine if you don't like the person, but very disrespectful to the position of President of the United States.

I also think this is a weak attempt to make nice with Steph Curry
Lebron James is little more than an ignorant baboon. This does not surprise me.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's even funnier is that Steph told reports on Friday he planned to vote no about going to the White House.
Curry is an idiot but he's my idiot............. as long as he keeps bringing my team titles that is. I love to watch the guy play but his political opinions mean nothing more to me than the guy's next door do, maybe even less.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, @Mecca @bksballer89 @tlance (assuming you're black) and others. I hope you don't misconstrued my comments as me being a racist or that I'm completely rejecting the idea that you at various points have come across some type of discriminatory situation. From my perspective, this entire movement is starting to stray away from police brutality, which I still stand by the idea that protesting during the National Anthem is probably not the best move IMO, and going along the lines of oppression and equality. The last part is what I'm having trouble grasping at. Because I don't know how things could be more equal by race than it is now. This isn't exactly the 1960's where blacks had police dogs after them, or water hoses turned on them, where they couldn't go to the same schools or drink from the same water fountains. In fact, being a minority allows you certain opportunities that a white person couldn't have such as scholarship opportunities.

I completely agree that something needs to be done by the actions of the few policemen that ruin it for the good majority that exists.

On another note, this is probably about as nice as I can get. Don't expect it to get any better. Especially for you, @Mecca because I know you heard the safe word.
I don't think you are a racist.

You are a good Dude with a different perspective.

It's all love.