• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LeBron James' White House Tweet

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that truly amazes me is that so many people don't seem to understand the job of a political leader.

Great leaders unite people and bring them together. I don't care if you agree with every word the man says, there is no way to argue that his presidency has been anything but an epic failure because of how divided we are as a nation. It is getting worse by the day. Trump can't keep his big mouth shut because he clamors for attention.

This is where I'm at with Trump. Even if you agree with every single word out of his mouth... he has to be at least somewhat culpable in the divisiveness of the country.

The main duty of the US President - imo - is diplomacy. And not just foreign diplomacy, but also domestic diplomacy. This is where Trump has really failed. His brash, stubborn, sticking-to-my-guns, fuck-you-if-you-don't-like-it attitude is causing real problems.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I'm at with Trump. Even if you agree with every single word out of his mouth... he has to be at least somewhat culpable in the divisiveness of the country.

The main duty of the US President - imo - is diplomacy. And not just foreign diplomacy, but also domestic diplomacy. This is where Trump has really failed. His brash, stubborn, sticking-to-my-guns, fuck-you-if-you-don't-like-it attitude is causing real problems.
Yeah... Trump is a prick. No doubt.

That being said: I think there is blame on all sides, here. I think a significant amount of people out there want divisiveness and are positively working to take everything Trump says and does in the worst possible way, amplifying even small(er) things, and hyperbolizing certain matters out of all proportion.

The great shame of it is I think there is plenty of common ground to be found on the current societal debates regarding race and tangential matters... the ideals fairness and Justice, in particular, stretch across various groups of Americans and could be appealed to to bring us all together.

But, frankly, I think America is in a place where too many people want to bicker and be self-righteous... so we get what we're currently getting.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That being said: I think there is blame on all sides, here. I think a significant amount of people out there want divisiveness and are positively working to take everything Trump says and does in the worst possible way, amplifying even small(er) things, and hyperbolizing certain matters out of all proportion.

The great shame of it is I think there is plenty of common ground to be found on the current societal debates regarding race and tangential matters... the ideals fairness and Justice, in particular, stretch across various groups of Americans and could be appealed to to bring us all together.

But, frankly, I think America is in a place where too many people want to bicker and be self-righteous... so we get what we're currently getting.

100% Agree

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the crazy really started in 1994 when Newt Gingrich and the insurgents took over Congress. Then came the Lewinsky thing and it was war between the Reps and Dems ever since.

True. Forgot about those guys.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Couldn't agree more.

Also, as to the protests. There is a time and a place for everything, including protests. At work, and let's face it, when these guys are about to play a game they are at work, is not one of those places. I would wager that if most of us went to our jobs and decided to start some political protest, we'd find ourselves in danger of not having our job. For those who have served, I wonder what would happen if, when in the service, you decided to protest the Commander In Chief or anything else and kneel or sit during the national anthem?

Also, I think we can mostly agree that we watch sports for the entertainment and also as something of an escape from all of the crap that goes on in the world around us. For 2-4 hours at a time (depending on the sport) we aren't concerned about black or white, Christian or Muslim, Democrat or Republican. We are concerned about Lakers, Cavaliers, Heat, Warriors, Dodgers, Cubs, Dolphins, Patriots, Sparks (I see you @Mecca ) etc.

I don't think a game, whether it's during the national anthem or any other point, is the time or place for protests.

It's also interesting that many of the people praising these players for sitting, kneeling or not even coming out of the tunnel during the national anthem, are the same ones who complain when Tim Tebow and other athletes thank God after a game or kneel in prayer because they are "cramming their religion down our throats." Are these protesting athletes not doing the same with their politics/social issues?

If you're a famous athlete and you have a social issue that you want to address and try to make a difference...hold a press conference or interview. If it's something I care about, I might even watch it.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think a game, whether it's during the national anthem or any other point, is the time or place for protests.

It's also interesting that many of the people praising these players for sitting, kneeling or not even coming out of the tunnel during the national anthem, are the same ones who complain when Tim Tebow and other athletes thank God after a game or kneel in prayer because they are "cramming their religion down our throats." Are these protesting athletes not doing the same with their politics/social issues?

If you're a famous athlete and you have a social issue that you want to address and try to make a difference...hold a press conference or interview. If it's something I care about, I might even watch it.

I TOTALLY agree. I would never do it myself.

Having said that, though, I also don't think that anyone kneeling during the anthem intends to show any disrespect towards the flag, country, or military. Because of that, it doesn't bother me that much.

I understand why it offends some people, but I don't think there's any reason to think there is any intent to offend. I think the fact that the action has been ammended from sitting/ignoring the anthem to taking a knee is sign that the purpose isn't to disrespect anything.

Reactions: LAD

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is exactly when they have your attention however, and as such is their best venue to use their fame to affect change through peaceful protest, as is their Constitutional right.

As far as Trump goes, he was just playing to his fans at another unnecessary rally. Doesn't he realize that he has the job and rallies are for pre-election support? His ego needs constant stroking.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not reading this whole shitfest, so not sure if this has been said yet: but why do we need sports teams to even go to the WH in the first place?

If you are the President's home town team and you win a title, okay, fine, I get it.

If you're a little league team that wins the LLWS, I get that.

Otherwise, it's just a nice photo-op and a temporary distraction from regular gov't business. If it's going to become one more reason for us to be divided as a nation, then stop doing it.

And the Warriors aren't the first team or group of players who have said "I don't want to go" simply because they don't care for the person in the office.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having said that, though, I also don't think that anyone kneeling during the anthem intends to show any disrespect towards the flag, country, or military. Because of that, it doesn't bother me that much.

For me, it's not about the intent. It's about what those actions actually accomplish. While many folks who have served our country aren't offended by these protests...many are. So are many of their family and friends and so are many people who haven't served but are deeply proud of our country. So, while offending them may not be the intent, it is what is happening.

As far as Trump goes, he was just playing to his fans at another unnecessary rally. Doesn't he realize that he has the job and rallies are for pre-election support? His ego needs constant stroking.

Sitting presidents have always held rallies, etc. to drum up support for issues they want addressed. Especially when they feel they are going to have trouble getting Congress to play along. So I really don't care too much about the rallies. Heck, Ronald Reagan, dealing with a Democratic majority in Congress practically invented taking the issues directly to the people. Bill Clinton was pretty good at it too.

Having said that, I agree that Trump's rallies do have the feel of a pre-election rally more than a rally to drum up support. Calling players who kneel, etc. during the anthem was also over the line and not at all presidential or diplomatic, imo.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, it's not about the intent. It's about what those actions actually accomplish. While many folks who have served our country aren't offended by these protests...many are. So are many of their family and friends and so are many people who haven't served but are deeply proud of our country. So, while offending them may not be the intent, it is what is happening.

Fair enough.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For me, it's certainly about intent. Some people just want to change the topic to something they can easily demonize. These protests have ZERO to do with anyone who has served in the military and anyone with a functioning brain can see that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly when they have your attention however, and as such is their best venue to use their fame to affect change through peaceful protest, as is their Constitutional right.

They actually lose my attention by doing this. Additionally, it may be their constitutional right, it doesn't mean that there aren't consequences for their actions.

For example, Jerry Jones has apparently said that any member of the Dallas Cowboys who doesn't stand during the anthem, won't be Dallas Cowboys anymore.

Not a fan of what he's doing either. I will say though, he is exercising his constitutional right to hold these rallies just as the players are exercising theirs.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, it's certainly about intent. Some people just want to change the topic to something they can easily demonize. These protests have ZERO to do with anyone who has served in the military and anyone with a functioning brain can see that.

I disagree. The flag and the national anthem have nothing to do with what these players are supposedly protesting. And saying that people who served and are offended by what these players are doing lack a functioning brain, which is essentially what you just did, is actually worse than what the players are doing, imo.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not reading this whole shitfest, so not sure if this has been said yet: but why do we need sports teams to even go to the WH in the first place?

If you are the President's home town team and you win a title, okay, fine, I get it.

If you're a little league team that wins the LLWS, I get that.

Otherwise, it's just a nice photo-op and a temporary distraction from regular gov't business. If it's going to become one more reason for us to be divided as a nation, then stop doing it.

And the Warriors aren't the first team or group of players who have said "I don't want to go" simply because they don't care for the person in the office.

Yeah, never really understood the need to have teams that won titles visit the White House. I've always thought it was kind of cool. But never really understood why it's done and don't know when it started.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The flag and the national anthem have nothing to do with what these players are supposedly protesting. And saying that people who served and are offended by what these players are doing lack a functioning brain, which is essentially what you just did, is actually worse than what the players are doing, imo.

Sorry, but boo hoo. People should be offended; the intent is to draw attention to huge issues with race relations involving the police forces of this country. People who fought for this country also fought for the freedom of speech, the freedom to protest, and all men being created equal. If that momentarily interrupts your enjoyment of a game, that IS the intent.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's even funnier is that Steph told reports on Friday he planned to vote no about going to the White House.
Steph said he wouldn't go even before they won

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This right here. I don't care who the president is. If I get a White House invite, I'm there no matter what I think of the person in office.

It's about respect for the office if not the person in the office.
Maybe once you've been you'd have a different perspective?

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was attacked by these athletes first. They attack him, he responds (which he shouldn't) and it's his fault. Folks have been melting down, attacking him and calling for his impeachment since before he even made his acceptance speech.

I'm no fan of his tweets or the fact that he seems to feel the need to respond to every criticism, but lets not pretend that he's just been running around bashing innocent people unprovoked since he took office.
No, no his bashing & attacking of people has been going on well before he took office.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong again...as usual

In Trump's world, he did lol.

maxresdefault.jpg