• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LeBron James and Los Angeles Lakers Have Been Eliminated from Playoff Contention

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, how the game ended seems to be a microcosm of the season:

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would have been nice for the Lakers to make the playoffs, especially since most of us Lakers fans are pretty impatient, but the plan was always to sign someone in the offseason and make a run next season. I'll start panicking if they strike out this offseason.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been forever since Lebron wasn't in the playoffs, end of an era. I think this is a sign that Lebron is done.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would have been nice for the Lakers to make the playoffs, especially since most of us Lakers fans are pretty impatient, but the plan was always to sign someone in the offseason and make a run next season. I'll start panicking if they strike out this offseason.

Still not sure why anyone would want to play with him.
You win- It’s Lebron
You lose- it’s you

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still not sure why anyone would want to play with him.
You win- It’s Lebron
You lose- it’s you

How is that different than any other great player, Jordan, Kobe, Magic, Bird, etc.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the cavs' plan too. But they were more ready for a Finals run in year 1.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
will Lebron represent the Lakers at the lottery?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes and no.

Yes, the plan was always to build for next year, but with just how bad things got at the end I think it is far less likely they sign a big FA.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no.

Yes, the plan was always to build for next year, but with just how bad things got at the end I think it is far less likely they sign a big FA.
Also not so sure the plan was "always to sign someone NEXT offseason and make a run next season".

No chance Lebron and Magic did not think they could do better than they did. Maybe not beat GS, but at least be relevant.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also not so sure the plan was "always to sign someone NEXT offseason and make a run next season".

No chance Lebron and Magic did not think they could do better than they did. Maybe not beat GS, but at least be relevant.

I mean.

They wanted to sign 2 last summer.

When they missed, they preserved cap space instead of resigning guys like Randle.

They are swinging for the fences, and they might miss. But I respect the effort.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean.

They wanted to sign 2 last summer.

When they missed, they preserved cap space instead of resigning guys like Randle.

They are swinging for the fences, and they might miss. But I respect the effort.
No doubt about that. I'm sure they tried....and will try again next summer. Only point was the plan was not ALWAYS to punt until next year.

Said a while ago, though, that would be the excuse made for them (not saying by you).

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt about that. I'm sure they tried....and will try again next summer. Only point was the plan was not ALWAYS to punt until next year.

Said a while ago, though, that would be the excuse made for them (not saying by you).

Yeah, preserving cap space was always plan B.

Plan A was to land 2 max level guys. If they only got 1 or none, then plan B was to hold the remaining cap space to this off-season.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think anyone besides OKC had a realistic shot at PG, but sure, I suppose you're right as I can't really think of any other player off the top of my head who would fit the description Magic and company were looking for, but there may have been.

As far as players being less inclined to sign here, I guess we'll find out.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone besides OKC had a realistic shot at PG, but sure, I suppose you're right as I can't really think of any other player off the top of my head who would fit the description Magic and company were looking for, but there may have been.

As far as players being less inclined to sign here, I guess we'll find out.

The Lakers had a realistic shot if they had been willing to give up the #2 pick in the draft for PG.

I had thought that the Pacers wanted more of the young guys, but from what @bksballer89 showed me and assuming the Pacers were being truthful, if the Lakers had been willing to include the #2 pick with whatever players were already in the deal, they'd have sent PG to LA.

Based on what PG said, even if the Pacers weren't being truthful, if the Lakers had included the #2 pick, then he may have come to LA. At the very least, it would have made it harder for him to turn them down.

I think that it was pretty shortsighted on his part and that he's unlikely to win a title any time soon because of it. But from what has been said, it looks like the #2 pick was more than the Lakers were willing to give up and he felt they didn't try hard enough.