• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Leaderboard Jumping in the Tiger Era

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from the constant talk about Tiger whether he's in contention or not...shit, sometimes it's about him 'cause he's not playing...what specifically bugs me the most is the casting aside of the perfect logic that used to determine the leaderboard.

Consider a group of players at the same point under par. Historically and logically, if I'm in the clubhouse with the score posted, it's a lock and I'm the furthest up the board. If I'm three holes ahead of you, I'm closer to locking in the score so again, my name goes above yours. This worked fabulously for years.

Nowadays, the moment Tiger is tied with a group, his name leaps the the top of the board even if he's just teed off. Yes, I know it's all about TV coverage and Tiger brings in viewers but still, all the guys are trying to make money and a name for themselves to pick up sponsors. It used to be fair and logical, now it just pisses off NEhomer!

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll grant you guys this one. They do this & it isn't right.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from the constant talk about Tiger whether he's in contention or not...shit, sometimes it's about him 'cause he's not playing...what specifically bugs me the most is the casting aside of the perfect logic that used to determine the leaderboard.

Consider a group of players at the same point under par. Historically and logically, if I'm in the clubhouse with the score posted, it's a lock and I'm the furthest up the board. If I'm three holes ahead of you, I'm closer to locking in the score so again, my name goes above yours. This worked fabulously for years.

Nowadays, the moment Tiger is tied with a group, his name leaps the the top of the board even if he's just teed off. Yes, I know it's all about TV coverage and Tiger brings in viewers but still, all the guys are trying to make money and a name for themselves to pick up sponsors. It used to be fair and logical, now it just pisses off NEhomer!

Ha ha! I thought I was the only one disgusted by that.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a look. I believe in some tourneys, it's based on World Ranking, so TW would always rise to the top of a given group. In other cases (rare), it may be alphabetical.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a look. I believe in some tourneys, it's based on World Ranking, so TW would always rise to the top of a given group. In other cases (rare), it may be alphabetical.

I shouldn't be. Its supposed to be based on who got to the cubhouse first or who is farthest along in his round. Just like with playing position for the following day. First in at 6 under plays behind all subsequent guys coming in at 6 under for the following round.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really thought it was just me that saw this crap they do with woods.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's all about the casual golf fan...not us. One reason I like the Euro tour coverage is they don't favor Tiger if he's not in the hunt...they focus on the players in contention.

RaiderZar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I shouldn't be. Its supposed to be based on who got to the cubhouse first or who is farthest along in his round. Just like with playing position for the following day. First in at 6 under plays behind all subsequent guys coming in at 6 under for the following round.

You're not saying that TW actually moves into the top tee slot? That is/has always been based on 1st in - Last out. His name may appear higher on the leaderboard (as I said, usually based on ranking), but he tees-off the next day based on order of finish.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen so much crap when they cover Tiger.

I think it was last year ..Tiger was in a sand trap but he had another sand trap between the one he was in and the green. The announcer says " now it's common for the every day golfer to hit this ball into the other sand trap" ...but as we know Tiger is no average golfer" ...and him and the other announcer starts laughing.

Tiger walks up to the ball and hits it right into that other bunker ....and I was crying laughing.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not saying that TW actually moves into the top tee slot? That is/has always been based on 1st in - Last out. His name may appear higher on the leaderboard (as I said, usually based on ranking), but he tees-off the next day based on order of finish.

He isn't saying that. What happens is that regardless of how many people he may be tied with (usually only when near the 1st page of the leaderboard) Golf Channel/network coverage will always put his name at the top of the list of those players. It means nothing, however it is not at all how the official leaderboard would look. As far as I've noticed, I've never seen them do this for any other player.

Basically, the network alters how the leaderboard looks just so they can get people to notice that Tiger is playing. They will show the "notables" leaderboard if popular players aren't anywhere near the lead.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really get it. I can see TW in all the golf headlines because non golf fans read headlines but only golf fans watch TV coverage in the first place.

It's like me with that colossal bore of a time called baseball. I'll check out an article on a game-winning grand slam or a triple play highlight but no way will I spend a few hours of my time watching two guys have a game of catch.

So I don't see how fucking with the TV leaderboard increases viewership anyway.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No. I'm saying his position on the leaderboard should be done the same way the tee times for the follwoing day are assigned; first in with a particular score is last out the following day.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really get it. I can see TW in all the golf headlines because non golf fans read headlines but only golf fans watch TV coverage in the first place.

It's like me with that colossal bore of a time called baseball. I'll check out an article on a game-winning grand slam or a triple play highlight but no way will I spend a few hours of my time watching two guys have a game of catch.
So I don't see how fucking with the TV leaderboard increases viewership anyway.

Many would say the same about watching golf; not me of course, but many. I like to go to a baseball game and catch some rays, drink a beer and have a hot dog but I don't watch it on TV unless it is the Giants. My wife, daughter and granddaughter are baseball fanatics and will go to any game, even spring training, but they are collassal freaks for anything Giants.

RaiderZar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I'm saying his position on the leaderboard should be done the same way the tee times for the follwoing day are assigned; first in with a particular score is last out the following day.

I agree.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many would say the same about watching golf; not me of course, but many. I like to go to a baseball game and catch some rays, drink a beer and have a hot dog but I don't watch it on TV unless it is the Giants. My wife, daughter and granddaughter are baseball fanatics and will go to any game, even spring training, but they are collassal freaks for anything Giants.

Agree & this is probably what drives the golf coverage on TV. For any of the golf fanatics it doesn't matter so they don't factor it into the coverage. However - they know that they will attract extra viewers with Tiger (who might watch because they like or hate him - doesn't matter - they still watch).

For the record - at the baseball games I watched (mainly in SoCal) - the fans mainly do anything but watch - they ate, drank, BS'ed & tossed around beach balls. I am now in the South & only was able to watch one minor league game - now that is a real borefest.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree & this is probably what drives the golf coverage on TV. For any of the golf fanatics it doesn't matter so they don't factor it into the coverage. However - they know that they will attract extra viewers with Tiger (who might watch because they like or hate him - doesn't matter - they still watch).

For the record - at the baseball games I watched (mainly in SoCal) - the fans mainly do anything but watch - they ate, drank, BS'ed & tossed around beach balls. I am now in the South & only was able to watch one minor league game - now that is a real borefest.

Saw a good Pirates Minor League club in Augusta, Georgia way back when I was at Fort Gordon and that team had Barry Bonds, Tony Pena, Sid Bream, Bobby Bonilla and Raphael Belliard. That was a fun team to watch.....except for the goddamn gnats everywhere.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One pitch.

3-2 every time a player steps to the plate. THAT would save baseball for me.

I certainly understand how and why golf would be a bore to watch to some but at least everything matters. Unlike an inning that loads the bases but nobody ever gets home.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One pitch.

I certainly understand how and why golf would be a bore to watch to some but at least everything matters. Unlike an inning that loads the bases but nobody ever gets home.

It matters, and in some important ways. For example, it ups the pitch count of the oppsing pitcher, it turns the lineup over quicker where your better hitters can get up again, it allows other hitters to see some pitches and determine what the opposing pitcher is trying to do, in the later innings loading the bases may cause the opposing manager to burn a reliever he didn't want to use as well as a pinch hitter for that reliever if the pitcher's spot is scheduled to hit that inning or the next. Baseball is a very intricate game when you think about it.
Your point is taken though that it can be tough to watch on TV if you have no dog in the fight.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golf is one of the few sports that is better to watch on tv than in person. Its fun to go follow a player & such but you have no clue whats going on like you do when watching on tv. I think thats lost on the viewer sometimes that the player doesn't know exactly what you do at any given time.

Thats why theres the age old question of do you leaderboard watch or not & why the masters is so great. If you are in the final few groups heading into the back 9 on sunday, theres no escaping blocking out whats going on. Theres gargantuan leaderboards & roars everywhere.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One pitch.

Baseball may very well be the most complex of all major sports just breaking it down on the strategy level, but even though I list the Braves as my 3rd favorite team, MLB lost me many years ago when the strike cancelled the WS. The more or less proved that the game is not about the fans.

Just entirely too many overpaid, underperforming athletes, too many games, no salary cap to promote any level of parity...yea I know the Pirates and Rays have been competitive recently, but they won't be able to sustain it long. Steroid era...I'll never be convinced that owners (who weren't testing for it) didn't know what was going on, yet when shit starting rolling downhill, they threw the players under the bus.

I can remember the last time I watched 9 innings of a Braves game or any MLB game.

Golf on the other hand...with the exception of a select few, Tiger and Wie...you have to earned your way on the tour, and you have to keep earning it to become a top player. Then sponsorship money takes some of the pressure off.