• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lauvao over Schwartz??

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants just signed Schwartz who also plays tackle for the same money as Lauvano received from the skins. What a joke!!

Giants sign G/OT Geoff Schwartz (4 years, $16.8M; $6.2M guaranteed): B Grade
While the Redskins and Bills were offering scrubs like Shawn Lauvao and Chris Williams around $5 million guaranteed, the Giants managed to ink a far superior player at the same position for just a bit more.

Geoff Schwartz missed all of 2011 with a hip injury. He didn't start in the first half of this past season, but was dominant in the second half. Thus, the money is right for him.

The plan for Schwartz is to have him play right tackle, while Justin Pugh moves to the blind side. If William Beatty can somehow make it back from his injury, either Pugh or Schwartz will slide inside and fill the void at guard.

Why couldn't we get this guy. It was for the same money. doesn't make sense. gkeoa is actually giving e an argument over this. lol

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 ranked guard from rotoworld.com. Basically the same age. wow

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lauvao seems like an odd signing to me. Doesn't really seem like it makes the team better it's just kind of adding another guy at a position of need. We still need to upgrade our starters at guard. Would've rather used that money to overpay somebody who actually makes us better.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants just signed Schwartz who also plays tackle for the same money as Lauvano received from the skins. What a joke!!

Giants sign G/OT Geoff Schwartz (4 years, $16.8M; $6.2M guaranteed): B Grade
While the Redskins and Bills were offering scrubs like Shawn Lauvao and Chris Williams around $5 million guaranteed, the Giants managed to ink a far superior player at the same position for just a bit more.

Geoff Schwartz missed all of 2011 with a hip injury. He didn't start in the first half of this past season, but was dominant in the second half. Thus, the money is right for him.

The plan for Schwartz is to have him play right tackle, while Justin Pugh moves to the blind side. If William Beatty can somehow make it back from his injury, either Pugh or Schwartz will slide inside and fill the void at guard.

Why couldn't we get this guy. It was for the same money. doesn't make sense. gkeoa is actually giving e an argument over this. lol

Dean, I love your passion,, but sometimes you get so emotional. Step back a second and think......do you really think they didn't consider and probably even talk to schwatz? You are very quick to blame, why not wait to see what really happened?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is its for the same money plus he plays tackle. Its a no brainer. Even at a mil more its a no brainer. Unless he really wanted to go to the Giants. Which I doubt. This is day 2 of FA meaning he was passed over for Lauvao. We are never going to know what really happened. But this is ridiculous. Its like signing Hall for the same money that we could of got Talib for. It doesn't makes sense.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is its for the same money plus he plays tackle. Its a no brainer. Even at a mil more its a no brainer. Unless he really wanted to go to the Giants. Which I doubt. This is day 2 of FA meaning he was passed over for Lauvao. We are never going to know what really happened. But this is ridiculous. Its like signing Hall for the same money that we could of got Talib for. It doesn't makes sense.

It makes sense if the players don't want to play here or if their specific skills don't line up with our scheme. I don't know that this is the case, but it could very well be.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vinnie may be gone but his fans are alive and well on this board. The team has signed two starters and a good price. You DO NOT build a team through FA, you fill holes in FA.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another factor is you have less chance of getting people like Mike Mitchell. With Gibbs or Shanahan you had pedigree and Super Bowl winning coachers here. With Gruden you have no idea and the team was just 3-13. Who would you pick if you were Mitchell?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another factor is you have less chance of getting people like Mike Mitchell. With Gibbs or Shanahan you had pedigree and Super Bowl winning coachers here. With Gruden you have no idea and the team was just 3-13. Who would you pick if you were Mitchell?

This was exactly my point. Washington is not considered a great place to come if you are a player right now. Look at the drama, discord, and lack of winning over the last 15 years. Honestly, we can't consider ourselves much better than Oakland or Cleveland in terms of attractiveness. So when you guys want to bitch about how we didn't sign player X when he went somewhere else for so cheap, understand that it may not have been our choice not to sign him. Just step back and look at the whole picture. If you had your choice of places to work, would you choose to put your short career into this circus? Probably not if you really cared about winning.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was exactly my point. Washington is not considered a great place to come if you are a player right now. Look at the drama, discord, and lack of winning over the last 15 years. Honestly, we can't consider ourselves much better than Oakland or Cleveland in terms of attractiveness. So when you guys want to bitch about how we didn't sign player X when he went somewhere else for so cheap, understand that it may not have been our choice not to sign him. Just step back and look at the whole picture. If you had your choice of places to work, would you choose to put your short career into this circus? Probably not if you really cared about winning.

Exactly, the team signed big name FAs before by paying them crazy money. You are 100% correct, we don't want to think of the Redskins in the same light as Buffalo, Cleveland, Oakland etc but that is who the team is. The team fell into mediocrity (.500) during the Norv years but since Snyder has been here there have been way too many 3,4 and 5 win seasons. Two of the last three head coaches were proven head coaches that didn't approach their previous history under Snyder.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we are in the cleveland / buffalo realm . we have to build

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we are in the cleveland / buffalo realm . we have to build

You're right. And the only way to really build is through the draft. This takes a couple of years. It is not through FA. FA is used to fill holes. If you are a SB contender (like denver), you take risks on big names with big money. We are not in that position. Unfortunately we don't have a 1st again this year so our rebuild will be extended. This is why it is paramount that our first pick in the 2nd be a hit. They have to be an immediate contributor no matter what position they play. We can't afford to take a project with a huge upside. We need a proven product. While Allen has done a great job managing contracts and cap space, I am a bit concerned bout his talent evaluation, but am willing to give him latitude to build this team.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Looks like a lot of people here have a good understanding and it's not just me that understands this move.

2) Lauvao is a 3 year starter in historically the toughest division for an OL.

3) Didn't even realize how ridiculous your bitching was until I saw this is his fourth team. He couldn't stay on with any of them...not one.

4) If the Browns didn't want to pay Lauvao, what does that say about the Chiefs and Schwartz?

5) Schwatz is more than a year older than Lauvao...just correcting you.

6) Our HC played against Lauvao twice/year and Grudens know a thing or two about offense.

7) Maybe Lauvao fits the scheme better than Schwatz. I am not sure...do you know the scheme we will run?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
responding to the Mitchell comment. The Skins are a better place b/c the NFC East is the worst division in football and we have a chance to win the division unlike the Stealers.

The Lauvano\Schwartz saga is just hilarious to see you guys justify this. I gave multiple examples how the Cle fans and front office did not want him back at the price we gave him. As far as talent level its not even close making Schwartz the #1 FA guard.

As far as scheme Gruden said the he is keeping the zone running plays. That fits into Schwartz wheelhouse. I don't like the move b/c its a overpay. Hopefully he does well with us but you have to question why did the #1 gurad in FA get the same contract as Lauvao.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
responding to the Mitchell comment. The Skins are a better place b/c the NFC East is the worst division in football and we have a chance to win the division unlike the Stealers.

The Lauvano\Schwartz saga is just hilarious to see you guys justify this. I gave multiple examples how the Cle fans and front office did not want him back at the price we gave him. As far as talent level its not even close making Schwartz the #1 FA guard.

As far as scheme Gruden said the he is keeping the zone running plays. That fits into Schwartz wheelhouse. I don't like the move b/c its a overpay. Hopefully he does well with us but you have to question why did the #1 gurad in FA get the same contract as Lauvao.

No, you gave one example multiple times. There is a difference. All your examples came from the same report.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwartz seems to have more of a injury history, and because rotoworld says he is great doesn't make it the gospel. They also said Hall was something like the #100 CB in the NFL out of 125....garbage. Roto has some good stuff, but I don't pay too much attention to their pro football focus ratings. It's like any other site, opinion.

At the very least, Lauvao looks to me like an immediate upgrade at G, a position we have not been very good at. Did we overpay??? Maybe a little? But like Gk, I will reserve judgement on the money until we see what we've got I'm him.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You have never given a single example of proof about Lauvao. You gave fan opinions which mean nothing. You claim the front office didn't want him back but reputable journalists have already said they did want him back. You argument is they should have paid him if they wanted him back...why doesn't that argument hold for Schwartz...especially with Asomoah being a FA as well? What makes Schwatz the #1 G in FA? Why was he on 4 teams in 5 years if he is so dominant? Why wasn't he the starter at the beginning of last season if he's so talented?

You keep referring to him as the #1 G in FA but apparently he wasn't. No team in the NFL...NO TEAM...valued him as much as we valued Lauvao. Stop listening to people who don't study or know how to study film.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you guys constantly miss the point. The front office wanted him back at cheap money. It said it in the article. Too give me that deal RIGHT NOW is crazy. Every football website said it was an overpay.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you guys constantly miss the point. The front office wanted him back at cheap money. It said it in the article. Too give me that deal RIGHT NOW is crazy. Every football website said it was an overpay.

How was it overpay? List other starting Gs in the league that make less that are not still on their rookie contacts.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We may have overpaid a bit, but he is obviously someone we targeted early and I would hope for good reason. The staff/FO did their homework on him just like everyone else, and felt that he is worth the money so they went after him. Despite his shortcomings, he is still a very young, durable OL that has started ALOT of games. People can say that he was a starter in CLE only because they had no better options, which may to an extent be true??? Only time will tell. He has likely not hit his prime yet, and say what you want, if one of the young guys cannot earn a spot over what we had in place, I think that says a lot about our state of the OL.

This signing will obviously be scrutinized and watched closely because of the $$$$ he got. I will be interested to see who the starting 5 is come game 1.