• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Late round rookie RBs - most upside

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure there is another rookie RB thread somewhere, but I couldn't track it down in the 5 seconds I looked. Here are my thoughts on this year's rookie RBs:

Jeremy Hill
Stepfan Taylor
Terrance West
Devonta Freeman
Carlos Hyde
Andre Williams
Tre Mason

Charlie Sims
Jerrick McKinnon
KaDeem Carey
Dri Archer

Lumping these guys into 2 groups. First group seems to have a slight advantage (imo) over the 2nd group simply in opportunity to touch the ball.

I'm thinking I like the upside of Jeremy Hill and Stepfan Taylor the most as of right now, due to the fact that they will more than likely inherit GL duties as the bigger RB in their respective tandems. Next, I'd go with West and Freeman. They are playing behind vet RBs that are more than likely due to miss a handful of games somewhere this season. I think we see 10-12 games out of Tate this year, so I'm tempering my expectations for West. Even with a true RBBC, not sure how good the Browns O will be without Gordon. If word starts coming out of Falcons camp that Freeman isn't the primary backup to SJax, he falls into the 2nd group. Can't imagine him NOT beating out the unimpressive 3rd down back Jacquizz R.

Hyde, Williams, and Mason all need to benefit from their team's RB1 coming up lame - either not performing or getting injured, in order to get enough chances to be worth the roster spot. Unless you are handcuffing, of course. All look to be in the mix to see touches, but not in the GL mix or in position to pry enough of the work load away from the more experienced runner ahead of them. If any of these 3 take a fantasy-worthy share of the workload from the starter, I think it will be later in the season. I just don't think they will produce much in the beginning as they are learning to adjust to the pro-level.

I see Sims getting some 3rd down duties to give Martin some rest this year. McKinnon has as much value as Gerhart has the past couple seasons. Not touching him unless I have AP. But if AP gets injured again (he is aging, I think) could be a good stash if you have a deep bench in your league. Don't really know much of anything at all about Carey or Archer, other than Forte and Bell will need to take a rest at some point during games. Definitely need the help of an injury to become more than a small blip on the radar.

Who do you like most and why?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from everything i have heard, which is not much, Jerrick Mckinnon is going to be used more like a darren sproles... and with patterson being to big of a WR he will likely not do those little runs that Harvin used to do...

I see the most used(no injuries) will be Mckinnon,stephan taylor and Andre Williams...

The Giants have found their most success in the past few seasons when they use a committee of backs, Andre williams should be used like that(i hope)...

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imho.. The only guys worthy of anything more than "watch list" material are West, and Freeman.. maybe Taylor depending on how you feel about Ellington's durability.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I'm buying this Ellington hype. I like Taylor. Like you said, at worst, he'll be the goal line back with 5-10 touches a game. Even if Ellington lives up to the hype, he's still not an inside the tackle guy, IMO, so Taylor has a great opportunity. Only shitty thing for him is his division.

I guess you can kind of say the exact same thing for Hill... except Bernard is more of a sure thing than Ellington, IMO.

...very good thoughts though, Monkey... nothing really to add, I agree with all of your assessments.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Lawfirm will hold off Hill for a chunk of the season. No need to hurry any changes there.

Tate just can't stay healthy. Remember what he did for Arian Foster's career? I'd take West.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Lawfirm will hold off Hill for a chunk of the season. No need to hurry any changes there.

Tate just can't stay healthy. Remember what he did for Arian Foster's career? I'd take West.

Rotoworld:

Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson agrees that BenJarvus Green-Ellis' roster spot is in danger.
Jeremy Hill was promoted into the No. 2 back role on his first day of practice. Hobson suspects Cincy will keep no more than four backs, so Green-Ellis would have to beat out Cedric Peerman and/or Rex Burkhead, who both have more special teams value than BJGE, and cost much less. Hobson ultimately expects the Bengals to hang onto Burkhead because he's five years younger than BJGE. Jun 19 - 8:58 PM
Source: bengals.com

Don't see BJGE as much of an issue, but he could pull off the elusive Moreno act, which is very difficult for veteran RBs to do. I'm thinking Hill is the guy backing up Gio, Bengals are young and getting younger.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great thoughts Monkey Watch out im taking notes....

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many of these guys are going to be used as kick/punt returners... I would assume Mckinnon will, probably Dri Archer too...

Those 1-4 extra TDs are huge!!!

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many of these guys are going to be used as kick/punt returners... I would assume Mckinnon will, probably Dri Archer too...

I'll be honest, wasn't really even thinking about KR/PR duties.
Forgot all about it!

good call out Milk

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me crazy, but I think Mckinnon will be the best BACKUP RB... I capitalized Backup only because I am assuming all these backups keep their roles of backup all season, and I don't think he can be an everydown back...

I just see him to be used like Percy harvin was when he ran for the Vikings, and I see him to be used in the passing game... The Vikings don't have great receivers after Patterson and Rudolph... I can see him being used very creatively...

Not to mention, I think he will be a returner, so I can see him with 5 + TDs this season... cant say that for some of these other guys...

Last edited by a moderator:

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me crazy, but I think Mckinnon will be the best BACKUP RB... I capitalized Backup only because I am assuming all these backups keep their roles of backup all season, and I don't think he can be an everydown back...

I just see him to be used like Percy harvin was when he ran for the Vikings, and I see him to be used in the passing game... The Vikings don't have great receivers after Patterson and Rudolph... I can see him being used very creatively...

Not to mention, I think he will be a returner, so I can see him with 5 + TDs this season... cant say that for some of these other guys...

Ditto

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Taliaferro in BAL? Anyone see any value in this big kid since Rice is likely suspended for at least half of the season? I don't really know how the depth chart shakes out behind Pierce, but I would assume they drafted this kid to be the RB3. He has the size to be a redzone ball carrier.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Per BTSC: Dri Archer is right on target to run away with the kick returner duties with his blazing speed. This kid brings a dynamic that the Steelers haven’t had since Rod Woodson, a kick returner that can break one for a TD every time he is able to receive the kick off. Get ready for some electrifying plays from this young man, with the level of inclusion he will have in the offense, I doubt the Steelers will have him returning both kicks and punts, though it is possible, despite the fact he didn't return punts at Kent State.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read about the Forsett signing a while back. Looks like they have some 'talent' on the roster. But still, Pierce is coming off of shoulder surgery. Taliaferro could see the field as a rook.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per BTSC: Dri Archer is right on target to run away with the kick returner duties with his blazing speed. This kid brings a dynamic that the Steelers haven’t had since Rod Woodson, a kick returner that can break one for a TD every time he is able to receive the kick off. Get ready for some electrifying plays from this young man, with the level of inclusion he will have in the offense, I doubt the Steelers will have him returning both kicks and punts, though it is possible, despite the fact he didn't return punts at Kent State.

Yea, I've been down on the Steelers the past 2 years, but I see them having a little resurgence, especially in within the scope of fantasy. Very unlikely their whole OL gets injured again this season, and they have a lot of good, young pieces around BigBen for the first time in a moment. It also helps that Gordon is gone and that BAL seems to be tripping over their own feet a lot lately.

My money would still be on the Bengals to win the division though.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I've been down on the Steelers the past 2 years, but I see them having a little resurgence, especially in within the scope of fantasy. Very unlikely their whole OL gets injured again this season, and they have a lot of good, young pieces around BigBen for the first time in a moment. It also helps that Gordon is gone and that BAL seems to be tripping over their own feet a lot lately.

My money would still be on the Bengals to win the division though.

With good reason... The past 2 seasons nobody really knew who the starting RB was. Mendenhall, Dwyer, Redman... Backs with not a lot of upside. And yea the O-line was too young, and injuries were hitting them like a plague. It was a recipe for disaster.

It will likely come down to PIT & CIN for the AFCN crown. I originally thought BAL was going to rebound, but more often lately I've been reading bad things.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With good reason... The past 2 seasons nobody really knew who the starting RB was. Mendenhall, Dwyer, Redman... Backs with not a lot of upside. And yea the O-line was too young, and injuries were hitting them like a plague. It was a recipe for disaster.

It will likely come down to PIT & CIN for the AFCN crown. I originally thought BAL was going to rebound, but more often lately I've been reading bad things.

Face-Lee-us, another of my crazy predictions is that Bryant will be your number 2 WR... I just think Wheaton and Brown are too similar... and with heath slowing down, i see Bryant to be your best Big weapon... I have him as a top 7 rookie WR in a year with so many good looking rookie WR...