• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Larry Lucchino Done as Boston Red Sox President/CEO

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First to state the obvious, he gets quite a bit of credit for hardware. The guy isn't in the midst of a management or leadership career. Here's the BUT... despite the hardware, the reality is that we live in a "what have you done for me lately?" sports culture.

Hindsight is 20/20, but the firing of Dan Duquette in 2003, the mastermind and architect of the 2004 title who never gets a modicum of credit doesn't look great. You can't always buy a title, and like it or not--throwing money around at Sandoval and Ramirez - long term (band-aids masked as aging veterans given lucrative deals) just is NOT SMART; let's face it, it wasn't then and it isn't now. Thankfully, Sox scouts left a nice cupboard and system.

I don't love or hate the Red Sox, but greener pastures are ahead for Larry Lucchino. He's not the lone person who is to blame here. Move on, but give the man some credit...or a lot!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Henry should as well.

But Lucchino is 70 and has talked about stepping down or at least not being as involved with the Red Sox for years not. I'm sure this isn't how he wanted to go out though....But the writing was on the walls for a while.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good.

He deserves credit for keeping Fenway alive, but he also deserves some blame for 2011/12.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Henry should as well.

But Lucchino is 70 and has talked about stepping down or at least not being as involved with the Red Sox for years not. I'm sure this isn't how he wanted to go out though....But the writing was on the walls for a while.
He's only 70? Heck, he should have another productive 10 years at the helm.