• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La'El Collins Plans To Sign With A Team When He's Cleared ... Whenever That May Be

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confused on the rule. If he is cleared can he not enter next year's draft? Would not that be a better move, now he's back to a first round pick and the guaranteed millions right?

no he can't. the NFL has already ruled on the subject. if he had been drafted and refused to sign with the drafting team he could have re-enter the 2016 draft and the team that he didn't sign with this year would have received a compensatory pick

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seems a little weird. If he was drafted then he kind of loses his rights IMO. But as an undrafted FA who is not tied to a team why would he not be able to enter next year?

bworku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes no sense to me not to have used a 7th on this guy. Own the rights to his contract in case things clear up nicely. Now he gets his pick.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He cannot enter the 2016 draft. The only way that would have been possible is if he was drafted in 2015 & refused to sign with a team. He then sits out the year & can re-enter the draft. Right now he is a UDFA who can sign with any team that offers him a contract. But until he is fully cleared of any involvement, no team will sign him.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins is now out of options, and not in the baseball sense. It's either sign a UDFA deal or bust. If he's truly innocent, what a cruel twist of fate for the kid. He just lost out on millions of dollars.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i suspect there is more to it (the case ) that is keeping teams away

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The domestic violence part sure doesn't help.

DV is a double edge sword now a days though. Most police agency's are under strict directive in a DV call to remove the male from the household no matter the circumstances.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DV is a double edge sword now a days though. Most police agency's are under strict directive in a DV call to remove the male from the household no matter the circumstances.

I don't think staying away was the issue, it's the baggage of the past DV stuff that could pose a problem. And if there were past DV problems, you've got to wonder whether they would pop up again in the future. If so, this might take him off McCloughan's radar entirely no matter how the criminal matter is resolved.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think staying away was the issue, it's the baggage of the past DV stuff that could pose a problem. And if there were past DV problems, you've got to wonder whether they would pop up again in the future. If so, this might take him off McCloughan's radar entirely no matter how the criminal matter is resolved.

IM going to preface this by saying this comment might sound a bit racially insensitive and border line profiling.

But in cases of DV in the black community I tend to ALWAYs take them with a grain of salt. I dont know WHY its like this, but for some reason women in the black community have the mistaken idea that they can pick a fight. Most of these go down as Domestic violence, and the man is the one made out to be the bad guy. Ray Rice is a prime example. I dont say he was in the right for the way he hit his wife, but I can see how she egged him into it. And I see that in our black community alot more than I see brothers just hauling off and beating women for no apparent reason. Now i could be off and she could have been a saint and La'el just has some deep seated issues. But I could just as easily see it the other way as well.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IM going to preface this by saying this comment might sound a bit racially insensitive and border line profiling.

But in cases of DV in the black community I tend to ALWAYs take them with a grain of salt. I dont know WHY its like this, but for some reason women in the black community have the mistaken idea that they can pick a fight. Most of these go down as Domestic violence, and the man is the one made out to be the bad guy. Ray Rice is a prime example. I dont say he was in the right for the way he hit his wife, but I can see how she egged him into it. And I see that in our black community alot more than I see brothers just hauling off and beating women for no apparent reason. Now i could be off and she could have been a saint and La'el just has some deep seated issues. But I could just as easily see it the other way as well.

First of all, I'm glad YOU said this. :) Also, by saying "our black community," I'm taking it that you're an African American, right? Having said that, sometimes there are cultural lines that tend to get blurred. But wherever those lines may be drawn, given the hyper-sensitivity the NFL has to it right now, any kind of DV would be strictly scrutinized. But we don't know what, if anything, Collins did or didn't do.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Collins ex-GF isn't the only murder at play in the Baton Rouge area . . .

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I'm glad YOU said this. :) Also, by saying "our black community," I'm taking it that you're an African American, right? Having said that, sometimes there are cultural lines that tend to get blurred. But wherever those lines may be drawn, given the hyper-sensitivity the NFL has to it right now, any kind of DV would be strictly scrutinized. But we don't know what, if anything, Collins did or didn't do.

Yes, guilty as charged, African American here. SO I do tend to have a slightly different outlook on these kinds of things. Mainly because it took the better part of a decade to break my little sister of the bad habit I speak of. She was of the mentality that she could pick a fight because she always knew MY first reaction was to side with her in these matters.. .which usually made things worse long term.

But back on topic, I get the feeling that even if he is cleared this week, the Skins wont be the team to sign him because of the DV issue in his past. SMGM is making a point to get boyscouts who can be mad men on the field, but know how to behave OFF the field.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, guilty as charged, African American here. SO I do tend to have a slightly different outlook on these kinds of things. Mainly because it took the better part of a decade to break my little sister of the bad habit I speak of. She was of the mentality that she could pick a fight because she always knew MY first reaction was to side with her in these matters.. .which usually made things worse long term.

But back on topic, I get the feeling that even if he is cleared this week, the Skins wont be the team to sign him because of the DV issue in his past. SMGM is making a point to get boyscouts who can be mad men on the field, but know how to behave OFF the field.

Very good to know, sir. Now, my Whoopi - Destiny's Child thing takes on a whole new perspective. :)

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a female, got to say I've seen women on both sides of this issue. More info is definitely needed.

But I do want to emphasize that domestic abuse is never pretty for a real victim of it. The labels of gold digger, and 'what is she going to get out of it' are the first things that are thrown about following an abuse charge, especially with a high profile person.

It's a mess on all sides.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a female, got to say I've seen women on both sides of this issue. More info is definitely needed.

But I do want to emphasize that domestic abuse is never pretty for a real victim of it. The labels of gold digger, and 'what is she going to get out of it' are the first things that are thrown about following an abuse charge, especially with a high profile person.

Cali... while I will totally agree on all points made here, I will simply throw this out there. If I walked up to Mike Tyson and started picking a fight, calling him names and generally egging him on, and I then caught the kind of beat down one would expect Tyson to be able to give.... Am I a victim of assault? Again speaking from a unique perspective here, most black men are raised with it ingrained that you dont hit a woman under normal circumstances. Now I admit some of us didnt get that memo, but in most cases that i have seen it takes alot to get to the level we are talking about here. We will likely NEVER get the full story. Right now I lean towards young kid caught up in a bad situation due to thinking with the wrong brain. And yes the cruelest trick evolution ever played on men was giving us two brains and only enough blood to run one at a time.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cali... while I will totally agree on all points made here, I will simply throw this out there. If I walked up to Mike Tyson and started picking a fight, calling him names and generally egging him on, and I then caught the kind of beat down one would expect Tyson to be able to give.... Am I a victim of assault? Again speaking from a unique perspective here, most black men are raised with it ingrained that you dont hit a woman under normal circumstances. Now I admit some of us didnt get that memo, but in most cases that i have seen it takes alot to get to the level we are talking about here. We will likely NEVER get the full story. Right now I lean towards young kid caught up in a bad situation due to thinking with the wrong brain. And yes the cruelest trick evolution ever played on men was giving us two brains and only enough blood to run one at a time.
Totally agree with you. I actually do have at least one close friend who got into a brawl with her husband. At least a slap was exchanged. The situation was volatile and the issue one of fidelity. Tempers are going to be sky high in a situation like this no matter what. It is a difficult line between protecting yourself and 'abusing' your significant other, as a man when in this type of situation. That's why I said I'd seen Both sides of an issue like this. I do not believe that the women is always right. You can be a part of the problem and bear blame. What cannot be lost regardless, is the physical advantage most any man will have over most females. This can't be lost in a discussion of domestic issues, nor can it be the only thing looked at.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, when McCloughan was asked about Collins, he gave a "no comment" response. This is different than a flat-out denial. I'm not sure if there's anything to read into that, but I'll note it for the record.

The way I see it now, the issue is this: if Collins is cleared and he does have past record of DV, is it too much of a risk to sign him as a UDFA notwithstanding personnel guidelines

Very good points, and what interesting revelations we've had with two of our members. :)

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, when McCloughan was asked about Collins, he gave a "no comment" response. This is different than a flat-out denial. I'm not sure if there's anything to read into that, but I'll note it for the record.

The way I see it now, the issue is this: if Collins is cleared and he does have past record of DV, is it too much of a risk to sign him as a UDFA notwithstanding personnel guidelines

Very good points, and what interesting revelations we've had with two of our members. :)
Lulz. It is not a secret...:pound: But it is not something I bring up very often either. Most on this board actually know this, you are just new :)