• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lacob needs to learn two words

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Comment

Jackson was a big part of why the team got back to respectability and I believe a big reason why this current roster plays defense.

The current offense you can give Kudos to Kerr, but Jackson changed the environment, I could care less if he didn't get along with folks in the building MJ got us to the 2nd round.

Cue the MJ haters, sound off below.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also believe that MJ played a really important role in helping the team. It's not assumed that if you just put a few good young players together that they will increase their number of wins each year, make the playoffs in Jackson's 2nd and 3rd year (right??), and take San Antonio to a six game series in their first playoff year. Jackson, I know, is proud of what he did at GS, regardless of how or that he was fired. He knows where the team was when he first started, and he knows what kind of team he left Kerr with. He has nothing to be ashamed of and my guess is that he'll learn from this experience and eventually come back and do the same thing for another young team at some point.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read the article on Lacob. Maybe Jackson didn't want any assistants who knew more about coaching than he did. I say this based on Lacob's statement that Jackson just wouldn't "hire the best" (assistant coaches). Given that Jackson was a first time coach, he may have felt insecure and he wanted to make sure that no one undermined his authority.

What's funny is that Jackson told him that "he had the best assistants", but he then dismissed two of them at the end of last year, right? What's up with that?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Comment

Jackson was a big part of why the team got back to respectability and I believe a big reason why this current roster plays defense.

The current offense you can give Kudos to Kerr, but Jackson changed the environment, I could care less if he didn't get along with folks in the building MJ got us to the 2nd round.

Cue the MJ haters, sound off below.
I disagree. The team looks completely rejuvinated under Kerr. Now the team plays team defense and rebounds. And there's no more of the standing around while one player does his isolation moves.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Jackson was a big part of why the team got back to respectability and I believe a big reason why this current roster plays defense.

The current offense you can give Kudos to Kerr, but Jackson changed the environment, I could care less if he didn't get along with folks in the building MJ got us to the 2nd round."

Neither of these statements is wrong. How can you "disagree" with his post?

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches get too much of the credit and too much of the blame.

Thibbs in CHI is considered the "best defensive Coach" in the league, but somehow he didn't make any adjustments after the 1st quarter where D.Green lit them up from 3point range. And going into the 2nd half, where was the 2nd man to help and where was X's and O's drawn up to say stick to Green vs sagging off?

DPOY Noah sagged off Green every single time he was forced to guard him and to Green's credit he hit the shot.

Biggest difference from 2013 to 2014?

1) Healthy Bogut , without that broken rib, we get to the WCF no doubt in my mind, maybe win it.
2) More experience for the young guys (Green, HB, Healthy Speights)
3) An Actual backup PG who can run the show
4) Got to give Kerr credit also, but he's not the one out there shooting the ball, its the players.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've got to give more credit to Kerr NBK. Coaching in the NBA is tough and you don't know who can and who can't and thus far, Kerr can in spades. A lot of bright get their shot to coach and for reasons I don't get, can't cut the mustard. Kerr must have put in the necessary work even as a tv analyst.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've got to give more credit to Kerr NBK. Coaching in the NBA is tough and you don't know who can and who can't and thus far, Kerr can in spades. A lot of bright get their shot to coach and for reasons I don't get, can't cut the mustard. Kerr must have put in the necessary work even as a tv analyst.

I was looking for our Coaching vs FO vS Players thread, I think it was deleted.

I would still say 80-85% of it is on the Players. How good a Coach is the Hedgehoge/Ron Jeremy Twin up in Detroit? The guy's made it to Playoff most years, if not every year he's Coached? 2005/2006 He resigned because Riley wanted more of the credit and wanted his "own guy" in there. His roster is stacked with mismatched pieces, Smith/Jennings/Monroe/Drummond and currently are 3-17.

Did he suddenly forget how to Coach?

How good a Coach was Scottie Brooks prior to the Durant/RW injuries? *see above.

You can only Coach up a player so much, these are some of the "best athletes" in the world, its really on them to show up every night.

We can agree to disagree I suppose. Back to my original point, Lacob needs to leave the basketball to the basketball players and keep his name out of the headlines. Never did Jerry Jones any good.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnes' resurgence is due to being in the starting lineup and asked to cut and move without the ball, not try for isos. That's all coaching.

Green's is due to Lee being out. But it's coaching to start Green over AI. So yes NBK you are not giving enough credit to Kerr.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnes' resurgence is due to being in the starting lineup and asked to cut and move without the ball, not try for isos. That's all coaching.

Green's is due to Lee being out. But it's coaching to start Green over AI. So yes NBK you are not giving enough credit to Kerr.

Lee is hurt, you and I could figure that Green would be the best option there. Doesn't take a great coach :suds:

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love folks who try to apologize after the fact <sarcasm>

Sometimes, its better to keep your mouth shut instead of opening your mouth and apologizing afterwards.

Gruber had to apologize for his dumb comments and now so does Lacob, there's a reason why you have Raymond Ritter and other PR staff working for you Lacob, if you can't say the right things, let them filter it for you.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBK: I think NBA coaching is very underrated at least relative to the enormous kudos and praise that NFL coaches receive. Stan the Man is a very good coach but you are right there is only so much anyone can do w such a mishmash of mishmash pieces. Still, and I'm not sure we disagree, Kerr looks ike he is an ace coach.

As a complete aside, I wonder what the Knicks are going to do? I mean, what is their plan and would any team want or afford Melo.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other item about coaching: I can't recall the name of the Hawks' coach but that guy is in the running for coach of the year. Its a rather ratag but veteran group w a very decent record thus far. If you got junk talent there is not much a nba coach can do but the right coach w talent can do a lot.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBK: I think NBA coaching is very underrated at least relative to the enormous kudos and praise that NFL coaches receive. Stan the Man is a very good coach but you are right there is only so much anyone can do w such a mishmash of mishmash pieces. Still, and I'm not sure we disagree, Kerr looks ike he is an ace coach.

As a complete aside, I wonder what the Knicks are going to do? I mean, what is their plan and would any team want or afford Melo.

Lacob just didn't think before he spoke. 200 people in the building didn't like him, but the players played hard for the guy, and he was the Coach who demanded the team play defense. Name the Last Dub Coach who preached Defense? Carlisimo prior to the Spree choking? I believe Smart also tried to install his defensive style of Coaching, but didn't really have the players.

If Bogut misses much time, we will get to see how good a Coach Kerr really is. I'm not going to list out the injuries this team had these last few years, but Jackson wasn't playing with a full deck. He had his faults, but I think he did the best with what he had.

Knicks are going to stink until Melo's contract is moved. For a 20+ mil player, does he make any of his teammates better? Does he make any good-great players want to take less money to play with them? There's a reason why the Matrix has taken the vet minimum to play for DAL, MIA, and now CLE, he's chasing the ring.

Phil Jackson may have been a great Coach, but he has Jordan and Kobe to work with. Tough JOB?

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melo moved? Where? I can't figure it out. Pelicans?