• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: LA Kings Vs Phoenix Coyotes Jan 28, 2014

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=702834

Forward Dustin Brown:
On his team’s frustration level: “It’s kind of hard to tell, there’s a team-wide frustration and a personal frustration for some guys in here. I mean, I’m frustrated with the way I’m playing, that doesn’t just lend itself to getting goals and getting points but teamwide, we got a 1-0 win out in San Jose which is tough getting going.”

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings vs Coyotes: Post-Game Quotes - Los Angeles Kings | News

Forward Dustin Brown:
On his team’s frustration level: “It’s kind of hard to tell, there’s a team-wide frustration and a personal frustration for some guys in here. I mean, I’m frustrated with the way I’m playing, that doesn’t just lend itself to getting goals and getting points but teamwide, we got a 1-0 win out in San Jose which is tough getting going.”

Wow this is some crazy shit, their could be some guys bumping heads in that locker room. :L

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it a long time ago. I got flamed. Now it sounds like a good idea huh?

I was on Team Trade Brown about 4 years ago, he really seemed to hit a wall around 2008/2009.

I think most of us thought that torrid pace he went on after the trade rumors two years ago was him reaching another level, myself included, but then when you take into consideration he struggled bad last year and then even more this year it looks simply like an extended streak of good play (6 months) vs. he has morphed into a better player. He hasn't and looks just as bad as he did between 2009-2012 if not worse.

That contract is what is going to be the sticking point in any deal, he is a decent player but not an almost $6 million a year player. But teams are always having to maintain a salary cap floor and some developing team out there in the near future or next few years who have a ton of guys on ELCs may take a flyer on him in order to use his salary towards that floor - the Kings did that with several guys during the initial stages of the rebuild (overpaying guys like Handzus, Preissing, Calder, etc.) and then shuttled them off when it was time for the guys on ELCs and second contracts to get larger dollar deals.

I'm more concerned with his play than his contract though, there is no reason a guy who is 28-29 should be as stagnant as he is. Especially on a team with some talented players who can make him a better player.

I always say players have shelf lives being in one place for a long time, and I think that has happened with Brown. It's human nature, we get bored of our existences after some time and need change.

Last edited by a moderator:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings vs Coyotes: Post-Game Quotes - Los Angeles Kings | News

Forward Dustin Brown:

This is exactly why I don't think he is a good captain - barely averaging a goal a game over the last 15 or whatever, a horrible record over the last 20, no consistency in team play, defensive miscues all over the place, finding ways to lose (i.e., giving up goals moments after getting on the board) and "it's hard to tell" what the frustration level is? That tells me he needs to be way more engaged with his teammates.

It's not like this is some 3-5 game slump, this has been going on since late December. Should be plenty iof indicators of what the frustration level is, he just doesn't seem to be either reading them or ignoring them.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought not having Richards as captain was a waste of what he brings to the table...

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought not having Richards as captain was a waste of what he brings to the table...

I think he would be more of a hands-on captain, which from my experiences being one and being under "the quiet type" (as a teammate) is the better option. These types of captains hold people accountable, nurture relationships and provide encouragement and deliver results. I think Getzlaf for example is a perfect hands on captain and plays, leads and behaves like a captain should.

On my current team I've been the captain for almost 2 years and my guys appreciate that type of leadership. There is no question what the game plan is, how we are going to attack it and what we are going to do. I'm not a "my way or the highway" captain but they do know I have very high expectations and if I say something is going to be done, it's going to be done. That confidence rubs off, believe me. We have won 4 of the last 6 league championships under my watch and in one stretch we went 13 straight games without a loss. The results speak for themselves - happy locker room = successful team.

Guys confide in me when they have issues and I help resolve them. I also stick up for every one of my teammates from the skilled guys who get run to confronting a teammate who may be a jerk (booted a guy last season actually for being a dick teammate over the last year - shift stealing a lot, we're down 4-0 in a game, claw our way back and make it 5-4, time is running out and they pull their goalie and instead of backchecking and helping us in the defensive zone where we are absolutely under siege he is cherry picking at the red line looking for the EN goal. Not with me leading the team, bud - you protect our zone just as much as you look for offense).

It wasn't a pleasant conversation but it needed to be done and it's my job as the captain to protect my guys and look out for the team's best interest. I'm not passive as you can tell and it's taken me years to develop control from being a loose cannon and throwing blows with a bench to a guy who knows when to do something and what to do. It's constant development but it pays off.

Brown is not that guy, and not only does he sit quiet he doesn't deliver. Can't be that way at all, you have to show proof you're the guy to lead a team. He did this from 2003-2008, and the Kings didn't really have anyone else with tenure and longevity when he was appointed captain after Blake, so he kind of got it by default but he also earned it from what I saw. The Brown who has the C now, is utterly useless and a joke of a captain. I don't know what happened but I wish it didn't.

Regarding Richards, I don't think it would have been good to hand him the C even though he's clearly the best choice for it by what he does, his passion and team behavior but he would be my choice too. There are politics in play regarding Brown and the C, and the Kings aren't a team that likes to make waves (and this is what would have happened if Richards was given the C, much like when Marleau was stripped of it a few years ago in SJ). Richards has been known to confront teammates who may be sandbagging it and flat out saying "you need to play better". I love that.

Brown will need to be moved before a new captain is appointed from what I see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown isn't the best, but I think he is far from the issue and I would seriously look at other areas for improvement. Overall, I don't know how Sutter doesn't get more blame. The dude is freaking set in his ways and he rides out some bad ideas indefinitely. You can honestly sit there and say that reuniting Richards and Carter doesn't seem like a good idea right now? Or putting Brown-Kopitar-Williams for a shift or two? The dude has Dwight King on Line 1 despite the lack of success, and Jake Muzzin on the #1 D pairing. King and Muzzin. It is beyond me that with all of his line shifting over the past two years he is riding out this losing streak as is. Every time the Kings have a 4 on 4 or go to OT you see Regehr and Greene make an appearance and maybe Fraser/King at times. I mean, what is going on? Roll Doughty/Voynov, see what happens for a shift. Roll Carter/Richards and let them do their thing. I mean, it is so basic to me.

When Terry Murray was fired and Sutter took over, the Kings still couldn't score or win until the big Jack Johnson trade that gave the Kings two scoring lines and eliminated the defensive liability that was JMFJ. He inherited a powerhouse and really hasn't gone above and beyond to prove that he is an outstanding coach. Is he a bad coach? I would say no way, but is he a good coach? I have some questions some times (And a lot questions lately).

Just my opinion, but I was on board with trading Brown or at least demoting him before the Kings won it all in 2012. Since the trade deadline of that year, Brown went insane (Steroids?) and literally tied Kopitar for the points lead during the cup run. From that point on, I would say that despite what happens going forward, I can't really complain. He is the captain, and he can have some blame, but he is not the reason the Kings are losing every game scoring 1 goal or no goals. I was so over Brown by the way that "Xis" would just reply with faces when Brown decided to be good for his brief stint when we won the cup.

Another guy I don't get right now is Mike Richards. He has been so bad for going on two months now that I am in awe at how little criticism he gets. I mean really bad. As far back as the Kings 0-1 loss at Chicago where he fucked up the only goal against, to just being owned night in and night out. He is way too talented and crafty to be a no-show and even a liability on most nights. He is our #2 center and he needs to be able to go toe to toe with the likes of the other #2s.

I think everyone needs to be realistic in that Brown is what he is, and the Kings locked him for like 8 years. First Captain to win the cup in franchise history, and he is pretty big part of the Kings represenation in the community, so I just don't see him ever not being a King and he can be a real asset when this ship gets righted.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: Stunner's criticism of Richards--I am far from an apologist for anyone, but here are the facts as I see them. When we acquired Richards, remember who his first linemates were? King and Nolan. But the guy went about his business as a professional, playing his heart out. Then the Kings make one of the best acquisitions in Kings history and get Carter for Johnson--the first true sniper Kings have had since Palffy. Richards gets paired with his old buddy Carter on the second line behind Brown-Kopitar-Williams (with a fire lit under Brown's ass because he was almost traded and here's a former captain Richards who could easily have the C). Team wins Stanley Cup. Following year Richards plays all year with Carter and they lose to champs in WCF with three games by one goal. So what happens this year? The coach takes Carter away and gives him Lewis, Frattin, a struggling Toffoli, an awful Brown, etc. So you have a world-class center paired with incompetent offense players instead of his natural linemate Carter, yet the guy still plays his ass off leading the team in assists. The guy led active players in shorthanded goals when he came here and in the first year here scored 4, with only 1 since. I would agree he is not playing as well as he can, and I don't get a lot of his passes--but given his caliber and how well he plays with Carter and can set up players who can put it in the net and get him the puck, I wouldn't blame him if he was f'ing frustrated playing with non-scorers all the time. Great teams play to their strengths and this team was great for the first time in their existence for two playoff years in a row by pairing Richards with the best sniper on team even strength and short-handed, then expecting the same results playing him with players who cannot score or pass. But he still leads the team in assists, and as a relatively small guy immediately comes to the aid of any King who he thinks was run at and is willing to drop the gloves in support. My opinion is the guy's a winner who is not allowed to play to his strength by working with a top talent sniper.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally two that agree with me about changing lines. THE ONLY thing I can think Sutter is doing, is playing for the match-ups. Other teams got used to keying on the top two lines and shut them down. He wants other teams to think these are "lines" and hopefully he changes them at times to fool them. What really pisses me off is that he buried Jwil for just about 4th line duty.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Story from November
theScore

At times this season, Los Angeles' top line of Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown and Justin Williams has been split up. It happened when forward Dwight King started the season playing left wing with Kopitar and Brown, for example.

But this trio, time and again, is ultimately reunited and for good reason: it`s the single best forward line in the NHL this season - and actually has been for a while.

The three members of L.A.'s dominant first line complement each other extraordinarily well. Brown brings a unique combination of speed and size. He plays a physical game on the wing, draws penalties and can finish on the rush or in the slot.

KickSave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got pulled because Sutter is sending a message to the team. These guys are playing like friggen bums..

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is absolutely painful to watch the last month and a half or so.

If throwing pucks into opposing players' skates was a stat I bet the Kings would lead the league. I see teams making crisp passes and quickly getting out of the zone or moving the puck, the Kings make retarded passes that end up right back on the opponent's stick. It's maddening.

Certainly didn't help that Quick looked shaky tonight but the team in front of him didn't do any favors. The Kings have come back to beat the Penguins before (down 2-1 if I recall in 2009, Kings blew up for 4 goals in the 3rd) but I can't see that happening right now.

This team is just god awful in all 3 zones and something needs to change.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: Stunner's criticism of Richards--I am far from an apologist for anyone, but here are the facts as I see them. When we acquired Richards, remember who his first linemates were? King and Nolan. But the guy went about his business as a professional, playing his heart out. Then the Kings make one of the best acquisitions in Kings history and get Carter for Johnson--the first true sniper Kings have had since Palffy. Richards gets paired with his old buddy Carter on the second line behind Brown-Kopitar-Williams (with a fire lit under Brown's ass because he was almost traded and here's a former captain Richards who could easily have the C). Team wins Stanley Cup. Following year Richards plays all year with Carter and they lose to champs in WCF with three games by one goal. So what happens this year? The coach takes Carter away and gives him Lewis, Frattin, a struggling Toffoli, an awful Brown, etc. So you have a world-class center paired with incompetent offense players instead of his natural linemate Carter, yet the guy still plays his ass off leading the team in assists. The guy led active players in shorthanded goals when he came here and in the first year here scored 4, with only 1 since. I would agree he is not playing as well as he can, and I don't get a lot of his passes--but given his caliber and how well he plays with Carter and can set up players who can put it in the net and get him the puck, I wouldn't blame him if he was f'ing frustrated playing with non-scorers all the time. Great teams play to their strengths and this team was great for the first time in their existence for two playoff years in a row by pairing Richards with the best sniper on team even strength and short-handed, then expecting the same results playing him with players who cannot score or pass. But he still leads the team in assists, and as a relatively small guy immediately comes to the aid of any King who he thinks was run at and is willing to drop the gloves in support. My opinion is the guy's a winner who is not allowed to play to his strength by working with a top talent sniper.
I would fully agree with you that Richards has been professional, and come Playoff time, a guy like that is just a winner. He really is, and there is no way we win the cup in 2012 without him. When he got hurt against Chicago in Game 1 last year, the Kings really struggled to keep up with the BlackCocks from that point on, and I really think that series could have been different if he was in the lineup. I am still a huge Wayne Simmonds fan, and Richards has gone above and beyond to erase any semblance of doubt that trading so many pieces for him was a good idea.

There is no way I would advocate trading that guy or anything like that, but as far as getting it done lately, there have been consistent plays that I just throw my hands my hands up in the air in awe at how dumb or careless he's been (Sometimes, I wonder if his stick is like 3-5 inches too long. Heyo! That kind of frustration level because he looks like positionally he might be in the right place, but then he will fan on a pass or something that I can't quit figure out, but feels like it is always there lately). Plus, with an inconsistent 2nd line, the other teams can key on the Kopitar-Carter line and if they don't produce, the Kings can't score. A solidified 2nd line, just like during the cup run, would do wonders for this team.

That is probably more to my critique of Sutter since he needs to see that his #2 center is not producing (not just goals, but making an impact night in and night out. I mean, his PK was scary throughout his career and during the cup run, he and Brown were beastly shorthanded) and needs to address it. Addressing it may be as simple as getting him better linemates, so I would agree with you on that one. You look at a guy like Toffoli and you can't help but think that he would be better suited being thrown up on the top 2 lines with Carter or Kopitar/Richards.

My lines: (I struggle with where to put King, but I think you see what happens when you put him with Carter and Richards). Create 3 lines that can create some energy, including that 3rd line.

Carter-Richards-King
Toffoli-Kopitar-Brown
Williams-Stoll-Lewis
Nolan-Clifford-Frattin

I think I sit Fraser for right now. He is a true heart guy, but he reminds me of the old Kings in that he just doesn't have the talent to make any real impact. Although looking at Frattin...it's a tough call. That guy is such a nonfactor that I forget he's on the roster most of the time.