• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

La Canfora on Mike Wallace

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alot of talk in the offseason about him among 49ers writers, fans, etc..

Here's what he said on the NFL Today show: "He's not going to be franchised again next year. The Steelers have basically made that determination and they're not going to give him the $11M/year he's looking for either. They're becoming more and more resigned to letting him walk as a FA and taking the compensatory pick they'd get in return. Remember, they already signed Antonio Brown and they want to (re-sign) Sanders.

I'd pass myself.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alot of talk in the offseason about him among 49ers writers, fans, etc..

Here's what he said on the NFL Today show: "He's not going to be franchised again next year. The Steelers have basically made that determination and they're not going to give him the $11M/year he's looking for either. They're becoming more and more resigned to letting him walk as a FA and taking the compensatory pick they'd get in return. Remember, they already signed Antonio Brown and they want to (re-sign) Sanders.

I'd pass myself.

I'd pass too - but more from the standpoint of "What would we do with him - use him as a decoy?"

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd pass too - but more from the standpoint of "What would we do with him - use him as a decoy?"

Wallace was targeted on more short and intermediate slant and comeback routes (5-15 yards) than every other WR in the league last year except for 4 others (Calvin Johnson, Michael Jenkins, Dez Bryant, and Damian Williams). He averaged 8.5 yards after the catch on those attempts. I still could have the wrong idea on Wallace because I don't see him on a consistent basis, but for me he appears to be more than just a deep threat. With all that said, I'd still pass on him.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
With the money he wants I would pass as well.

Even moreso when you considered we drafted Jenkins who was drafted as a "Wallace" for us.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spending a lot of money on a WR doesn't make any sense for the 49ers.

Doesn't matter if you want to blame Alex Smith, or blame Harbaugh/Roman's run-first offense. As it stands, receivers won't flourish in this offense and 11 million can get spent on more useful positions for the team. So, I wouldn't want to see the 49ers spend big on a WR that won't even get used to his best ability. Seems like a total waste.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pass. Wallace wasn't going to get what he was asking for before this season, now it looks like he'll get considerably less.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pass. Wallace wasn't going to get what he was asking for before this season, now it looks like he'll get considerably less.

I believe he will end up staying with Pitt for around the same money as A Brown,,,,he's not worth more than that

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he will end up staying with Pitt for around the same money as A Brown,,,,he's not worth more than that

I think he'll come back if the Steelers allow him to, hopefully for him he hasn't burned his bridges.

I dunno if he's worth any more or less than Brown but he certainly isn't work 11 million a year.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Spending a lot of money on a WR doesn't make any sense for the 49ers.

Doesn't matter if you want to blame Alex Smith, or blame Harbaugh/Roman's run-first offense. As it stands, receivers won't flourish in this offense and 11 million can get spent on more useful positions for the team. So, I wouldn't want to see the 49ers spend big on a WR that won't even get used to his best ability. Seems like a total waste.

Do you expect Alex Smith or a QB like him to be around for another 3-5 years, though? I don't see why a legit QB has to come first? I don't believe Mike Wallace fits the "big time WR" label, but I'm just using him as that in this instance.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you expect Alex Smith or a QB like him to be around for another 3-5 years, though? I don't see why a legit QB has to come first? I don't believe Mike Wallace fits the "big time WR" label, but I'm just using him as that in this instance.

I don't know how long Alex Smith will be around. As to the WR before the QB, I think of the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald. Its not the same scenario, not a FA WR, but they paid a lot to keep him and then ended up getting into bed with Kolb just so they wouldn't waste the investment on Fitz. Then they chased Manning this offseason because Kolb didn't work out and appear to be looking for a QB next offseason too. I'd hate for the 49ers to get into that same scenario.

I would just prefer the QB before the WR. In this case, mostly because of the kind of money that Wallace wants.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems some of the arguments for signing Wallace in consideration of the pending departure of Smith begs the question of how much better would our own receiving corp be with another QB?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know how long Alex Smith will be around. As to the WR before the QB, I think of the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald. Its not the same scenario, not a FA WR, but they paid a lot to keep him and then ended up getting into bed with Kolb just so they wouldn't waste the investment on Fitz. Then they chased Manning this offseason because Kolb didn't work out and appear to be looking for a QB next offseason too. I'd hate for the 49ers to get into that same scenario.

I would just prefer the QB before the WR. In this case, mostly because of the kind of money that Wallace wants.

yep, if there is a choice, no question it is QB.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a couple WRs I really like at the end of the first round and in the second, but other than that I would not make a big splash in FA this year at that position.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Mike Wallce, but not for that kind of money. I think AJ Jenkins has a chance to be a similar type of player. Probably not nearly as good, but in the same type of mold.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'll come back if the Steelers allow him to, hopefully for him he hasn't burned his bridges.

I dunno if he's worth any more or less than Brown but he certainly isn't work 11 million a year.

he may have burned his bridges and if so he will fizzle and be gone from the NFL in a few years,he's just not a big time receiver he's can't carry a team alone he needs help Wallace,Brown and Sanders are good together break them up and any of them is a #2 at best

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name some big time receivers who are carrying a team alone, i cant think of any :wave:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget Wallace. Peter King said the Chiefs would be unwilling to trade Bowe for anything less than a 3rd round pick. If true I would give up a 3rd for him.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need Alex to hit his WRs when their open... and be accuarte on the deep throws...

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have watched him a lot and he has been catching a lot of short passes this year and he can still blow by most DB's, would love to see Wallace and Crabs as the starting WR's next year with MM in the slot