• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyrie Irving

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference in Kyrie has a lot more to do with perception than reality.

Kyrie last year with the Cavs

Assist per game: 5.8
Usage: 30.8%
Isolation Play Frequency: 21.4%

Kyrie this year with Celtics (11 games)
Assis per game: 5.7
Usage: 29.2%
Isolation Play Frequency: 19.6%

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Statistically his numbers don't seem too far off from last year. I'd say the biggest difference is that he's the man in Boston instead of the 2nd fiddle in Cleveland.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statistically his numbers don't seem too far off from last year. I'd say the biggest difference is that he's the man in Boston instead of the 2nd fiddle in Cleveland.

Biggest difference is he has a team that plays defense. He looked like a defensive liability in CLE. He looks like an all-defense player in BOS through 11 games. Truth is in the middle.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest difference is he has a team that plays defense. He looked like a defensive liability in CLE. He looks like an all-defense player in BOS through 11 games. Truth is in the middle.

Yeah I would agree with that. I have a hard time believing that a player who has never been a high effort defense guy will magically turn into a defensive stud overnight.

Perhaps Stevens' system really makes players look better defensively than they are, which is really troubling for the Cavs if true.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its also harmony. Kyrie is making Al look like a super star. Big Al is getting clear threes he never got with IT and, to Big als defense he seems to have more lanes to the rim and is taking it to the rack. The system is different for sure

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has mentioned it yet, so it is becomes my responsibility.

11 Games.

Stop it. Giannis is the GOAT already and Kyrie is amazing. Sample sizes be damned.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People were bagging on him like he was just an average player......and he wouldn't do shit without James because didn't do shit before James got there. He's showing people he can play and be a leader.

If you look at his overall game...he was an average player in Cleveland.

He was an elite scorer, but there's a lot more to it than scoring. His defense was horrible and his passing was about average to slightly below average. That makes him average overall.

Whatever Stevens has done to him has worked so far, because he is moving towards that elite status that he's always had the talent to achieve.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest reason, imo, that Kyrie is flourishing is that he's playing within an actual, legit offensive system. Cleveland has no offensive system. They are a hybrid iso, drive and kick offense that's Lebron dominated. Boston has a system where everyone touches the ball, players move without the ball and is more suited towards Kyrie's game. Instead of him having to just take turns with Lebron on every play, he's integrated within the offense. He can be always involved in every play, whether or not he's scoring, assisting, or acting as a decoy to draw defenders. When you're involved in the offense, it makes everyone happier. Look what it's done for KD's efficiency on offense and his defense. Systems matter and fit matters.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness to Kyrie... (and I know this has already been mentioned)...
  • Ty Lue is a lousy coach.
  • Brad Stevens is a very good coach, the best Irving has ever had in the NBA.
Irving probably needed the structure he's now getting... he needed a plan.

I never had the sense in Cleveland that they actually had a high level plan. Not above checkers level, anyhow. Stevens plays chess up in Boston... and is further able to get his guys to buy in to the total plan... which includes team work and defensive effort.

I thank the Basketball gods often for sending Stevens to Bean Town.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's No Krispas Porzingas

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's early but I like that even when he's having an off night he's still not shy about taking the "must have" shot down the stretch. You can see the confidence he has that he will get a good shot.

Gonna be fun to watch this year.
I think this balance is what is needed from your PG.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People were bagging on him like he was just an average player......and he wouldn't do shit without James because didn't do shit before James got there. He's showing people he can play and be a leader.
Yes, originally I only looked at his body of work prior to LBJ going back to Cleveland. But, now realize had he continued to play under LBJ that would've stunted Kyrie's growth. He has hit the ground running in Boston. Good for him & the Celts.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which only shines an even brighter light on his ability to adapt from 2nd fiddle to being the man while keeping his stat line consistent.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I would agree with that. I have a hard time believing that a player who has never been a high effort defense guy will magically turn into a defensive stud overnight.

Perhaps Stevens' system really makes players look better defensively than they are, which is really troubling for the Cavs if true.
The trick is getting them to play TEAM defense. The task becomes much easier for everyone.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, originally I only looked at his body of work prior to LBJ going back to Cleveland. But, now realize had he continued to play under LBJ that would've stunted Kyrie's growth. He has hit the ground running in Boston. Good for him & the Celts.

Yeah....

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jae Crowder Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Check out Crowder this year vs last two years.......................

Its a small sample size but its worthy to watch
Crowder's an interesting player... always liked him on the C's...

But he's the epitomy of a role player. If you expect that going in, you like what you get... OTOH, if you expect anything more out of the guy, you are gonna be disappointed.

He's tough. He's strong for a SF. He can shoot the spot up 3 well. He gives effort on defense. He can be a locker room leader.

However, he's a limited athlete... lacking in quickness/suddenness. He can't jump. He's not much of a threat off the dribble.

In theory, there's a place for him in Cleveland... bringing defensive toughness, and shooting open 3's. I hope he can settle into such a niche. But things are kinda a mess in Cleveland right now, and I'm sure the lack of defense on the Cav's probably is a mental drag on a guy like Crowder.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie is on my short list of athletes I could respect as a player, but find impossible to cheer for due to his whiny faggotry

Just the way I was raised, cant completely appreciate a little bitch

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I'd characterize Kyrie as a "little b!tch"... but that's more of a semantics thing... I can understand why Kyrie may have rubbed folks the wrong way in the past.

He's probably been more of a son-of-a-b!tch than a b!tch... if you get what I'm sayin'. :D