• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyle Williams so long

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was hands down the most explosive WR on our roster. Although he didn't show much of it this year, he was our best option for breaking a long one or taking one to the house. Not that Williams was or likely will ever be great, but I really have to question how we use receivers. He should have been fairly effective as a slot receiver. We don't seem to know how to utilize speed on offense. It's a MAJOR concern in today's NFL.

I don't think he showed any of it this year. Maybe because he was coming off of a serious injury? He never exactly blew me away in previous years either but you're right, he had good timed speed.

Oh, and he wasn't a shitty punt returner, he just fair caught far too many balls. When he actually did return them, he was generally pretty effective.

Fair catching when you could return it makes for a shit punt returner IMO. It's better than just letting it bounce or fumbling it (AHEM), but its also pretty useless if he's just going to do that all game long. I don't want to draw Deep's ire but I expect more of a punt returner than just catching it. Just catching it is the bare minimum, I also want him to get some yardage and be a threat to score a TD. Williams didn't provide any of that. I think 3.5 years is enough of a stay for an unproductive 6th round pick.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think he showed any of it this year. Maybe because he was coming off of a serious injury? He never exactly blew me away in previous years either but you're right, he had good timed speed.

Fair catching when you could return it makes for a shit punt returner IMO. It's better than just letting it bounce or fumbling it (AHEM), but its also pretty useless if he's just going to do that all game long. I don't want to draw Deep's ire but I expect more of a punt returner than just catching it. Just catching it is the bare minimum, I also want him to get some yardage and be a threat to score a TD. Williams didn't provide any of that. I think 3.5 years is enough of a stay for an unproductive 6th round pick.

I don't disagree overall, on either point. Given how he was being used, I don't think we'll miss him much at all. I'm just irritated we weren't able to get more from him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So you're assuming that Wallace would be OK with that?? That he will gladly take a lower salary because he is not thinking about the money???

No that's not what I meant. His guaranteed money would be the same. He'd get the same amount of money; his base "salary" would just be lower than his average for 2013. It wouldn't cost Wallace a dime.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i dont think anyone will miss him at all lol

Patton is the new KW....

You think that is his ceiling? I would like to think that based solely on pre-season (in which I can't recall if he was out there with the 1's or not) he was better than where Williams is today and can only get better. Much like Williams I don't see him ever being a #1 but a nice 3/4 option perhaps. Now that I write it I guess that is sort of where Williams was but I don't think he is as talented.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I honestly don't see Patton as ever being all that great. If he can develop into a really good #3 WR, I would be extremely satisfied with him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I honestly don't see Patton as ever being all that great. If he can develop into a really good #3 WR, I would be extremely satisfied with him.

Same, I don't see him fitting into a 1/2 role but it would be nice if he isn't yet another pick that never see's the field. Direct question though is he better today than Williams based on the limited amount we've seen of him? I would say yes and of course with that he has a higher ceiling. I think Williams just is what he is at this point.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No that's not what I meant. His guaranteed money would be the same. He'd get the same amount of money; his base "salary" would just be lower than his average for 2013. It wouldn't cost Wallace a dime.

He already has that in Miami with a better base salary for 2013. Why would he go for a lower base salary with the Niners??? In order for the Niners to be able to lure him away, they have to sweeten the deal not lower it... Any agent with half a mind, would not advice him to take a lower base for 2013 because they will also get a lower their percentage... So what incentive does he have to sign here???

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think that is his ceiling? I would like to think that based solely on pre-season (in which I can't recall if he was out there with the 1's or not) he was better than where Williams is today and can only get better. Much like Williams I don't see him ever being a #1 but a nice 3/4 option perhaps. Now that I write it I guess that is sort of where Williams was but I don't think he is as talented.

Yeah, I mean, I thinks its close. If anything, being better than KW wouldn't be much of a significance... I don't think he's a #2 because when he was playing, he would've shown us fans something. Maybe not TDs but atleast yards and receptions... He and the rest of WRs didn't get much luv from Kap in week 1 and never saw anything towards his way before his injury....

I wouldn't say Patton isn't as talented but whatever more talent Patton has, I don't think its significant enough to be more than a #3 on most teams....

Again when healthy, when the offense needed offense from the WRs where was he? thats a different topic lol

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same, I don't see him fitting into a 1/2 role but it would be nice if he isn't yet another pick that never see's the field. Direct question though is he better today than Williams based on the limited amount we've seen of him? I would say yes and of course with that he has a higher ceiling. I think Williams just is what he is at this point.

can't say he's better now than KW since he only has 1 reception to his short NFL year...

we got see what he can do... and if our QB reads his progressions... :whistle:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, I mean, I thinks its close. If anything, being better than KW wouldn't be much of a significance... I don't think he's a #2 because when he was playing, he would've shown us fans something. Maybe not TDs but atleast yards and receptions... He and the rest of WRs didn't get much luv from Kap in week 1 and never saw anything towards his way before his injury....

I wouldn't say Patton isn't as talented but whatever more talent Patton has, I don't think its significant enough to be more than a #3 on most teams....

Again when healthy, when the offense needed offense from the WRs where was he? thats a different topic lol

He only has 1 catch in the regular season but it seemed he showed some flashes in the preseason where he caught a few touchdowns and made some nice plays. Of course I don't remember if he was out there against scrubs or not. There was plenty of hype about him winning the #2 job based on those performances.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He already has that in Miami with a better base salary for 2013. Why would he go for a lower base salary with the Niners??? In order for the Niners to be able to lure him away, they have to sweeten the deal not lower it... Any agent with half a mind, would not advice him to take a lower base for 2013 because they will also get a lower their percentage... So what incentive does he have to sign here???

You're not understanding. Whatever lower salary he'd have in his first season would be deferred as part of his guaranteed money in this scenario. The point is they could've fit him under the cap this season, and he probably would've won the Niners a game or 2.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

How many snaps did Patton even play before he was injured? In the first game, we had no problem throwing the ball. I can't recall seeing much of Patton against the Hawks, but at that point we were still relying on Williams and Moore as our #2 and #3 guys. I don't think anyone was all that surprised that Seattle shut down our passing game, so the coaching staff didn't take any dramatic action. Only after the Indy game did it become truly clear that we needed to do something in the passing game. At that point, Patton started to play more, but promptly got injured.

I think it's very early to make any judgments about Patton. Our coaching staff is reluctant to play young guys in the best of circumstances, really only doing so when they have no other choice. Patton was not a full participant in camp because of the finger, and was injured early this season. Making assessments about his future on that sample size seems silly. I'm certainly not sold that he'll be an elite player, but he's got some talent and, in his brief appearances, has shown better instincts than any of our WRs not named Crabtree or Boldin. I'm interested to see what he can offer going forward, though I'm not expecting much this season.