• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyle Williams needs to start not Ginn

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams is more of a WR that Ginn who is a good returner. Williams can catch and he can run almost as fast as Ginn. He blew by the secondary on his TD yesterday. I have only seen him drop 1 catch-able ball all year. He reminds me so much of Wes Welker. He can run after the catch and is shifty. The niners need to find ways to get him the ball more.

In college he played some RB to get more touches and he did a good job on his one run. He stiff armed the hell out of that one dude.

He is progressing very well. :cool2:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, let Ginn's speed occupy one of their top CBs and let Williams match up against slower and less talented nickel-backs. That match-up problem will present more plays like his catch and run for the TD.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but look at the Packers. Nelson is their 3rd or 4th WR I believe and he's blowing up because he's up against less talented defenders. Might as well keep letting Williams torch the 3rd/4th DB and take advantage of the mismatch.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big difference between the niners and the packers on offense is that the niners use 2 TEs and a FB when GB uses 1 TE and half the time no FB. They are more of a spread offense and use 3-4 WR sets.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Williams is more of a WR that Ginn who is a good returner. Williams can catch and he can run almost as fast as Ginn. He blew by the secondary on his TD yesterday. I have only seen him drop 1 catch-able ball all year. He reminds me so much of Wes Welker. He can run after the catch and is shifty. The niners need to find ways to get him the ball more.

In college he played some RB to get more touches and he did a good job on his one run. He stiff armed the hell out of that one dude.

He is progressing very well. :cool2:

He showed excellent speed on the end around as well as decisiveness getting up field that Ginn does not.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
He showed excellent speed on the end around as well as decisiveness getting up field that Ginn does not.

Williams' stiff arm of the Rams safety stood out as the biggest difference between Ginn and Williams. Kyle Williams plays more physically than Ginn. Ginn tries to avoid getting hit.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nah, let Ginn's speed occupy one of their top CBs and let Williams match up against slower and less talented nickel-backs. That match-up problem will present more plays like his catch and run for the TD.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but look at the Packers. Nelson is their 3rd or 4th WR I believe and he's blowing up because he's up against less talented defenders. Might as well keep letting Williams torch the 3rd/4th DB and take advantage of the mismatch.

Nelson is clearly the Packers' second receiver, behind only Greg Jennings. He benefits from Driver on the other side, but he's having a great season in his own right (and is killing my fantasy team lately by taking balls away from Jennings....). Driver benefited yesterday from being the Packers' third receiver and fourth receiving option. And then James Jones is the fourth receiver who will put together the occasional big game, but otherwise is almost an afterthought.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If and when Edwards actually gets right, we've got the makings of a good, complementary group of receivers. A healthy Edwards can stretch the field more effectively than Ginn, Crabtree is very effective in the intermediate area, and Williams is a great fit in the slot. This goes to the dimensions discussion Greg Cosell had on KNBR last week.

Re: the offense, Cosell wonders: “Do they not have enough dimensions, or do they not have enough talent?” - Inside the 49ers

COSELL: Yeah, I made the note again watching the tape: “Question involving the 49ers offense – do they not have enough dimensions, or do they not have enough talent?” And I think that we have to wait and let this season play out. By dimensions I mean can they attack a defense on all levels – short, intermediate and deep. You can’t become a complete offense and a multi-dimensional offense if you’re lacking dimension.

The deep option has been lacking lately, but hopefully this week was a step toward addressing that. Great game for us to take some shots downfield and see what happens, and I'm glad we did it. Unfortunately, at this point it mostly confirmed what we know: Smith throws a nice deep ball between the numbers but not outside them.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams' stiff arm of the Rams safety stood out as the biggest difference between Ginn and Williams. Kyle Williams plays more physically than Ginn. Ginn tries to avoid getting hit.

Williams is not just more physical, he's also much quicker in short quarters.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I love Hangman's enthusiasm for Williams as it reminds me of my own as well as a few others, coming out of pre-season. However I think this post reflects the correct way to use both of them.

Ginn, because of his speed alone commands attention. Case in point, Ginn played a key role in Crabtree's long TD catch by pulling the safety on his crossing route, thus leaving Crabtree one-on-one.

I would think the 49ers have one of the fastest receiving corp in the league with Ginn, Davis, Williams & Walker all possessing excellent speed. We just need them to develop better, more reliable hands.

As for the Packers I believe their WR Corp goes:
Jennings
Jones
Nelson
Driver
Cobb
Throw in Jermichael Finley, and, yeah, it's pretty much fuck you.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nelson is clearly the Packers' second receiver, behind only Greg Jennings. He benefits from Driver on the other side, but he's having a great season in his own right (and is killing my fantasy team lately by taking balls away from Jennings....). Driver benefited yesterday from being the Packers' third receiver and fourth receiving option. And then James Jones is the fourth receiver who will put together the occasional big game, but otherwise is almost an afterthought.

There are no 'afterthoughts' in the GB receiving corp - sorry.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams is not just more physical, he's also much quicker in short quarters.

He really had nice burst on his plays, yesterday. Saw that on his clips from college, nice to see it working on Sundays.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
At the very least I would like to see Williams on the field more as he's actually starting to come on strong and I could see him being our poor mans Wes Welker in a way.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the very least I would like to see Williams on the field more as he's actually starting to come on strong and I could see him being our poor mans Wes Welker in a way.

I don't see it. Not that Williams doesn't have the talent, it just that Alex Smith isn't Tom Brady and our system doesn't tailor to slot receivers like New England's.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it. Not that Williams doesn't have the talent, it just that Alex Smith isn't Tom Brady and our system doesn't tailor to slot receivers like New England's.

Apologies, I forgot to add the :behindsofa: after Tom Brady.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I think Smith is capable of hitting it obviously not on the level of Brady but I agree that it's unlikely our system leans more on two TEs rather than having a slot WR.

I just would like to see it as a wrinkle though as so far I think our offensive strength is really coming from the variety of formations and deceptions we throw at defenses and having Williams as a threat just adds even more pressure on defenses to try to figure out what's going on.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There are no 'afterthoughts' in the GB receiving corp - sorry.

As far as that group goes, Jones is absolutely "almost an afterthought" in most games. It helps if you actually grasp the statement before spouting off about it. He's only broken 50 yards receiving in three games, has had 35 yards or less in eight, and has one reception or less in seven of twelve games.

Jones sure as shit isn't their second receiver over Jordy Nelson. It's debatable whether he or Driver would rank third.

Last edited by a moderator:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Hangman's enthusiasm for Williams as it reminds me of my own as well as a few others, coming out of pre-season. However I think this post reflects the correct way to use both of them.

Ginn, because of his speed alone commands attention. Case in point, Ginn played a key role in Crabtree's long TD catch by pulling the safety on his crossing route, thus leaving Crabtree one-on-one.

I would think the 49ers have one of the fastest receiving corp in the league with Ginn, Davis, Williams & Walker all possessing excellent speed. We just need them to develop better, more reliable hands.

As for the Packers I believe their WR Corp goes:
Jennings
Jones
Nelson
Driver
Cobb
Throw in Jermichael Finley, and, yeah, it's pretty much fuck you.

Jones over Nelson?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As far as that group goes, Jones is absolutely "almost an afterthought" in most games. It helps if you actually grasp the statement before spouting off about it. He's only broken 50 yards receiving in three games, and has one reception or less in seven of twelve games.

Jones sure as shit isn't their second receiver over Jordy Nelson. It's debatable whether he or Driver would rank third.

LOL!!! Leave it to you to look at a stat sheet and think you have a clue how that relates to football strategy. It would help if you actually grasped the concept of the game before you posted at all.

I do love the "almost an afterthought" and "in most games" though, that be some fine weasel talk going on there.

Here, kid allow me to educate you once again.

First, if Aaron Rodgers heard you say James Jones is an afterthought he would punch you in the mouf!

Second, the GB offense incorporates 3 and 4 WR sets regularly, Rodgers as an elite QB goes through his progressions as well if not better than any QB in the league today and arguably as well as any QB ever. So, like I said, there are no afterthoughts in the GB receiving corp - period.

Now I will articulate your response:

MW, you are just a bitch and if I ever met you I would whip out my little princess and piss on your shoe - Yeah, that should about cover it.

Are we done here?