• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyle Williams needs to start not Ginn

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
San Francisco 49ers: Wide receiver Kyle Williams (173) has 1.93 Yards Per Route Run, which is significantly higher than Braylon Edwards and Ted Ginn. However, both Edwards and Ginn remain ahead of Williams on the depth chart.

I saw that this morning, too. To be fair, though, Williams benefits from being behind those guys. He draws less attention from the D. That may start to change given his recent success, but there's no doubt it helps.

I was thinking a similar thing when reading about Aldon Smith on PFF. They mentioned his sack rate is the same as Ware's at a sack every 25 rushes. That's fantastic, but it's tougher to get sacks when you're playing every sack. There's a pretty good change Aldon will regress a bit in terms of pass rushing when he gets into a full-time role.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I saw that this morning, too. To be fair, though, Williams benefits from being behind those guys. He draws less attention from the D. That may start to change given his recent success, but there's no doubt it helps.

I was thinking a similar thing when reading about Aldon Smith on PFF. They mentioned his sack rate is the same as Ware's at a sack every 25 rushes. That's fantastic, but it's tougher to get sacks when you're playing every sack. There's a pretty good change Aldon will regress a bit in terms of pass rushing when he gets into a full-time role.

If he's going to to regress then don't make him an every down player. I'd much rather have him in on crucial passing downs bringing it 100%. Brooks has been a stud and Harylson has been good against the run.

Against teams like the Saints and Packers, we will need to be able to bring a pass rush without comitting extra defenders to blitzing the qb.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If he's going to to regress then don't make him an every down player. I'd much rather have him in on crucial passing downs bringing it 100%. Brooks has been a stud and Harylson has been good against the run.

Against teams like the Saints and Packers, we will need to be able to bring a pass rush without comitting extra defenders to blitzing the qb.

Agreed 100%

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

It's okay for him to take a small step back and go through a learning curve as an every down player next year. Put that investment in and you're giving him the chance to develop into a player like Ware. Keeping him on the bench first and second down in the long term is pretty ridiculous idea to me. This year it's okay, but he'll be focusing on standing up immediately in this off-season.

Regressing a little with pass rush as an every down player still adds overall to our pass rush because of his presence on 1st/2nd down. Beyond this year, that will be a key to beating playoff teams - getting constant pressure.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's okay for him to take a small step back and go through a learning curve as an every down player next year. Put that investment in and you're giving him the chance to develop into a player like Ware. Keeping him on the bench first and second down in the long term is pretty ridiculous idea to me. This year it's okay, but he'll be focusing on standing up immediately in this off-season.

Regressing a little with pass rush as an every down player still adds overall to our pass rush because of his presence on 1st/2nd down. Beyond this year, that will be a key to beating playoff teams - getting constant pressure.

Certainly he's got to be an every-down player next year. For the moment he's arguably more valuable for his pass rush ability in nickel situations, but he'll have to make the jump to full-time player this offseason. He's just too good to have off the field once he grasps the position.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Next year he should be developed enough to start and play every down. But I'm not willing to lose any production this year. The window of oppurtunity only stays open so long. We should be doing everything possible to win this year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
not doubting Aldon but what IF he doesn't "grasp the position"? what if he doesn't "develop enough"?

will we be satisfied with one of the best NFL pass rushers?

not expecting him to be good at coverage, just well enough that he isn't a liability. what he will have to 'grasp' is defending run plays, till then he can't play every down.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
not doubting Aldon but what IF he doesn't "grasp the position"? what if he doesn't "develop enough"?

not expecting him to be good at coverage, just well enough that he isn't a liability. what he will have to 'grasp' is defending run plays, till then he can't play every down.

I'd be satisfied with a top tier pass rusher. I feel like the defense is good against the run at other positions and would be able to hide Aldon IF he was a liability. Nothing can make your secondary look better than a DOMINANT pass rush!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

From what I have seen of him thus far, I have very little concern that Aldon will develop into a good run stopper as well as a good pass rusher. He's got those crazy arms to keep the OL off him, and he's shown pretty good instincts to get to the ball when he's had the chance. I noticed a very nice play in the run game this past week, and he's had several others. He'll make some mistakes as his responsibilities expand, but I'm not too worried about it.

I don't expect him to ever be a great guy in coverage, but his length is an asset there as well. It won't take much to upgrade Haralson in that particular area anyway.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah. Next year he should be developed enough to start and play every down. But I'm not willing to lose any production this year. The window of oppurtunity only stays open so long. We should be doing everything possible to win this year.

Yes, for this year he needs to stay in the nickel. The defense has good chemistry and changing anything at this point wouldn't be good. If it's not broke, don't fix it at this point.

It will be war in the playoffs and if I were NO or the Packers I'd sporadically go no-huddle from 2nd to 3rd down to keep him off the field. If we start going to nickel early because of the strong pass attack, they could scheme run by attacking him. This cat and mouse game should be interesting to keep an eye on in the playoffs.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, for this year he needs to stay in the nickel. The defense has good chemistry and changing anything at this point wouldn't be good. If it's not broke, don't fix it at this point.

It will be war in the playoffs and if I were NO or the Packers I'd sporadically go no-huddle from 2nd to 3rd down to keep him off the field. If we start going to nickel early because of the strong pass attack, they could scheme run by attacking him. This cat and mouse game should be interesting to keep an eye on in the playoffs.

I'm not too worried about the Packers running at us. NO is much more of a threat to do that. But I think Aldon can hold up.