• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kopitar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
December 10 postgame notes – LA Kings Insider

"-Anze Kopitar has appeared in 16 consecutive games without scoring and has been held without a shot on goal in two consecutive games. His last goal was scored on October 25 against Columbus. Tyler Toffoli has appeared in nine consecutive games without scoring. His last goal was scored on November 17 against Edmonton."

There were some postgames notes the other night where I'm pretty sure that Sutter took a shot at Kopitar. He was asked why Lewis is on the top line, and Sutter said that he was the leading scorer on that line and that a few players have a lot of work to do (I think he's talking about Kopitar). But yeah, no goals in 16 that Kopitar has appeared in, and zero shots in the past two is not very assuring heading into this 9 game road trip. 3rd highest player in the league.

Kopitar got owned pretty bad against Pavelski last year, and I know he got hurt earlier this year, but he has been pretty underwhelming for a little while now. They also mentioned Toffoli being a slump as well, and it would seem that the Kings are actually pretty fortunate to be where they are in the standings considering those two guys' numbers and Quick missing the whole year so far.

A lot of that credit should go to Jeff Carter and (to a lesser degree) Alex Martinez, and I really think so far, Carter should get very serious consideration for league MVP. He has been that dominant thus far.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget Gaborik too, the Kings just got that guy back as well. The injuries right off the bat sucks, but those are the breaks and every team has to deal with them. I do agree that considering what the Kings have had to deal with they are very fortunate to be where they are in the standings but that also points out how weak the Pacific Division is. This isn't the powerhouse it was 10-12 years ago or even 6 years ago.

Carter has carried this team, no question. He has really stepped up his game this season and Budaj has held the fort in Quick's absence, we are accustomed to solid goaltending and Budaj is not that but he has done fairly well under the circumstances. Lewis has been a pleasant surprise on the top line, he has been there on and off the last 8-9 years and never displayed this kind of skill, hoping this gives him some confidence when he returns to his B6 role.

Toffoli and Kopitar, they definitely need to step it up but their slumps are nothing new. Kopitar does this seemingly every year and Toffoli is a natural goal scorer and those guys are really streaky. At this point last season Kopitar had only 7 points (5G/2A) and turned it around and ended up winning the Selke so we know he can do it, it is a matter of time.

I don't care how much he is getting paid, he has earned every penny of that contract over the last 10 years here and is way more important to other things that happen out there compared to say a Brown or Muzzin. Same thing I say about Doughty, those kinds of guys are absolute lynch pins to a franchise and their salaries are justified.

Would like to see Shore do more, I seriously don't know what that guy is doing on this team - he hasn't seemed to fit in anywhere and I never thought someone would have worse hands than HOS but this guy makes him look like a 25 goal scorer.

And speaking of, Muzzin just sucks dog balls this season. Dude also needs to step up big time to prove he is a T4 defender again. Martinez has steadily progressed the last 4-5 seasons and while I think he is plateaued out he has been pretty consistent since his first few seasons here. He is a solid two-way defender who is very intelligent and makes things happen.

Big trip starting tonight and while Buffalo isn't a real threat they have the Kings' number - the Kings are 1-13-1 their last 15 trips there and have been outscored 66-22.

The last time the Kings won in Buffalo I was 2 days into my 28th birthday (2/21/2003), just flew to Thailand to see my dad in a coma and friggin Miroslav Satan was still on the team. Turn this bitch around boys!

Last edited:

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kopitar scores 1-0

CaptnAwesome

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If by fast you mean before the playoffs then we're cool... :gaah:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely wonderful.

Tough situation to be in but I think Dumbo needs to make a move. Quick should have been put on LTIR to free up some cap space, I'm not sure why they didn't but I'm sure there is a reason for it that I'd need to look into from a cap POV.

They will have considerable cap space around the trade deadline to absorb the hit but I think the Kings need to look into a solid stop gap until Quick returns. Budaj and Crapkoff aren't getting it done and the division is way tight; all it takes is one extended skid and the POs could be a challenge.

Looking at some GIII UFAs next summer, the Islanders are in no man''s land and it may be worth while to kick the tires on Halak although I am not a huge fan. He had his miracle run with the Habs like 8-9 years ago but that was it and if I recall he was part of the Blues tandem in 2011-12 when LA swept them in the WCSFs but they decided to go to Elliott.

He is better than either two sieves the Kings have between the pipes right now however. Some other names include Lehtonen (no), Niemi (no) and Price (not going to be available, not to mention that creates a serious situation here in LA) but Craig Anderson raises some interest to me - he is a good goaltender but with his wife dealing with cancer he may not be all mentally there so that is a risk as well.

Option B would be to look for GII RFAs and make a trade for a guy who may be part of the solution long term, because neither Budaj or Zatkoff beam confidence to me even in a backup role and this new goalie could be an upgrade to them but a serviceable back up to spell Quick now and again.

Of course as always, money and assets are an issue although McNabb seems to be expendable now with the way Forbert is playing and also being under contract for one more year at $1.7 million - definitely an asset to dangle.

Bottom line is now the Kings are not only missing a legitimate T3 defender and T6 forward but now you can add a legitimate starting goalie to that equation as well. Dumbo better be looking into options.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick is on LTIR
The problem is that it lets you go over the cap but does not accrue a cap savings.
So if Quick comes back the Kings would need the lose salary to activate him.
So the would have to trade for someone, which means losing something like a pick or a player only to give the new goalie away when Quick comes back.
They must keep Zatkoff or get a goalie signed for next year or expose Quick in the expansion draft. And cost of less than a mil for above cap reasons
Bottom line every GM knows what the Kings needs and know that DL doesn't have many choices.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The law firm of Zatkoff, Budaj, and Empty Net have really show weakness lately. Budaj was solid until recently though, and Zatkoff is arguable the worst goalie in hockey. He's officially 1-5 and I do not know how he got that 1 win.

This is my entire Kopitar argument by the way. Not that he's not good, but that maybe he isn't $10mil/year good. Because the Kings can't afford any other players.

CroconawKings

Go Kings Go
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick needs to come back. Toffoli needs to come back. The Kings are injury prone.