• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Konopka: entrepreneurial goon

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the bold is as stunning as Kypreos scoring 62 goals in the O one year

Although John Tortorella can’t pronounce the kid’s name, most are aware Zenon Konopka led the NHL in penalty minutes the last two seasons.

Ol’ Torts probably has no clue ‘Zenon Whatever His Name’ also led the league in cellphone minutes.

Indeed, there’s a whole lot more than meets the eye when it comes to the Ottawa Senators mucker.

Dating back 17 years to when a 13-year-old Konopka lost his father in a tractor accident on the family farm, the scrappy kid from Niagara On the Lake, Ont., has carved his own rather unorthodox path in life.

Take, for example, the bar he owned as a 19-year-old in Ottawa, where he played for Brian Kilrea’s famed 67’s. A predecessor to the budding wine, oils and medical equipment companies he runs now, Stout Bros. pub was not only his introduction to a business world he’s immersed in daily, but it was also … well … he’ll tell you.

“Looking back on it, it was a gong show,” said the colourful forward who fought Tom Kostopoulos Tuesday to add to his league lead in penalty minutes.

“My parents saved money for me and my (two) sisters to go to university, so when I went to play junior hockey, I used some of that money to buy into a pub. That was kind of my schooling in business at 19. Had it for four years.”

Was it a distraction for a team full of youngsters always looking for a few, um, laughs?

“We lost a few games, and Kilrea banned all the players for a few days,” Konopka said with a smile.

“We had a pretty good time. That said, we won an OHL championship my third year, and we did well my overage year, too. I think it brought the team closer together — maybe kept us out of trouble because other places you’re not controlling the situation.”

While his 307 penalty minutes last year on Long Island may suggest otherwise, controlling the situation is what Konopka feels he does best as an entrepreneur.

“I’m on the phone six hours a day — everything goes through me,” says the 6-foot, 210-lb. centre.

“I’m hands-on — tons of conference calls. Hockey in Canada opens up a lot of doors for you in life and in business, and if you can prove yourself in business and then mention you’re that hockey guy, I think they respect you a lot more. Once I get in the meeting, I lead with my business knowledge and break down what we need to do.”

Raised on a farm that grew grapes, apples, plums and peaches, Konopka sticks largely to what he knows — running a small wine company, a grape-seed oil business and an outfit called Vin-Aire that makes wine decanters.

He’s also in the early stages of working on a company trying to develop a medical device.

“It’s been a good outlet from hockey for me,” said Konopka, who credits life without a father for his work ethic. “In my younger years, I took hockey way too serious. My poor ex-girlfriends — after a loss, I’d be upset until the next game. I wouldn’t let it go. Now I can put my headset on and get on the phone and leave it all at the rink, and when I get to the rink, I leave business behind.”

Despite winning the 1999 Memorial Cup and leading the OHL in assists two years later, Konopka wasn’t drafted, prompting him to start his pro career in the ECHL. He literally fought his way up to the AHL, where he also showed scoring prowess, Konopka finally caught on with the Anaheim Ducks in 2005.

“When things got tough, I thought of my dad and how he sacrificed everything for me, and there’s no chance I’m going to quit and not give it 100%,” said the Konopka, now with his fifth NHL club after stops in Anaheim, Columbus, Tampa Bay and Long Island.

“My dad’s death was the first real lesson I learned in life.

I grew up in a hurry. It was a tough time, but I guess it helped with my maturity.”

Marrying his penchant for punching with his business acumen, he spent last week working on importing a cream from Brazil that counters bruising and swelling. Perfect for an NHL pugilist.

“I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t love it,” Konopka said with a smile.

“I’m actually very excited about life after hockey.”