• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe Bryant dead at 41

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could easily avoid the thread if you don't care. There isn't a gun at your head forcing you to post on this thread

Gotta love idiots who rarely, if ever, post in a forum, suddenly showing up and trying to tell everyone else what they should be talking about and how they should be handling things.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could easily avoid the thread if you don't care. There isn't a gun at your head forcing you to post on this thread

No shit bks... but it's a forum... a place to post opinions about things or an agreement or disagreement on a topic or subject matter? Others may or may not share YOUR opinion or choose not to share, but I am choosing to share. Namely because I think the whole media reaction to this is fucking insane.

It is unfortunate Kobe and the OTHER passengers/pilots (who nobody in the media seems to give an F about) died in this accident, but okay? He was a great athlete that played a sport for entertainment. Let's stop acting like it's the equivalent of Chernobyl. What about the other 10+ people that died? That's a bigger tragedy IMO (more lives impacted) but nobody seems to give a rats ass about that.

My reaction to the news: "Ah that's too bad. Hopefully the (ALL) families get through this tough time.
Media and a bunch of dorks on the Internet: "OMGFOMFOFMOFMO!1111!11!!!!!!11!!!!!1!!!!!!! KOOBBEEEE OMGOMFOGMF BUY JERSEYS NOW OMGOMFFFF!!!! HOF!"

Last edited:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit bks... but it's a forum... a place to post opinions about things or an agreement or disagreement on a topic or subject matter? Others may or may not share YOUR opinion or choose not to share, but I am choosing to share. Namely because I think the whole media reaction to this is fucking insane.

It is unfortunate Kobe and the OTHER passengers/pilots (who nobody in the media seems to give an F about) died in this accident, but okay? He was a great athlete that played a sport for entertainment. Let's stop acting like it's the equivalent of Chernobyl. What about the other 10+ people that died? That's a bigger tragedy IMO (more lives impacted) but nobody seems to give a rats ass about that.

My reaction to the news: "Ah that's too bad. Hopefully the (ALL) families get through this tough time.
Media and a bunch of dorks on the Internet: "OMGFOMFOFMOFMO!1111!11!!!!!!11!!!!!1!!!!!!! KOOBBEEEE OMGOMFOGMF BUY JERSEYS NOW OMGOMFFFF!!!! HOF!"

It isn't about not caring about the other 8 who died. I'm sure everyone do care and feel sad about all who passed away but the reality is they were not a part of our lives since 1996 so you can't expect the same reaction. If your friend of a few years died in a car accident along with his/her coworker, are you going to have the same reaction for both or will have more of a reaction to your friend passing away compared to their coworker who you knew nothing about prior to the accident?

Kobe was a part of my family. Much more than just some athlete to the die hard NBA fans. For about 15+ years, watching Kobe from October til as late as June became a yearly thing for us. He was a long distance relative.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the pilot got disoriented and thought he was climbing.

The only thing I can take away from this is the crash happened so quick that they, with the exception of probably the pilot, probably couldn't register they were about to die, which is somewhat comforting. I leave out the pilot because it sounds like what happened was he was climbing and getting close to breaking thru the clouds, but as those clouds are starting to break, he's already far too close to the mountain. In the literal seconds, maybe milliseconds it registers to him something is in front of him he just banks on instinct and they are already in the mountain. At those speeds, everyone likely died on impact.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't about not caring about the other 8 who died. I'm sure everyone do care and feel sad about all who passed away but the reality is they were not a part of our lives since 1996 so you can't expect the same reaction. If your friend of a few years died in a car accident along with his/her coworker, are you going to have the same reaction for both or will have more of a reaction to your friend passing away compared to their coworker who you knew nothing about prior to the accident?

Kobe was a part of my family. Much more than just some athlete to the die hard NBA fans. For about 15+ years, watching Kobe from October til as late as June became a yearly thing for us. He was a long distance relative.

Various athletes have been a part of my families fun (watching, cheering) as a Seattle fan for a # of years. If they died in a tragic accident tomorrow I'd say, "That's too bad. My condolences to the family" and drop it... not go on about it for weeks on end.

Long distance relative? Really? I can't tell if you're being serious. If he was ACTUALLY a relative of yours then so be it, I definitely understand your pain... but I'm assuming likely not, he was just some guy that played good basketball, and was retired. If it had been some random guy on Kobe's team during that Championship era would you have the same reaction? Regardless, that's not my point anyway...

My point is:
Look I have sympathy for anyone that passes (especially when young, if you're much older (70+) it's your time.. time to check out, can't live forever).... but the media making this big of a fucking deal out of it, give me a break. It was a tragic accident, he died.. so be it. Let's move on? We've had 2 weeks of non-stop media reports on this crap.. good lord. You'd think there was an accusation that the Russians hacked the helicopter at this point.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Various athletes have been a part of my families fun (watching, cheering) as a Seattle fan for a # of years. If they died in a tragic accident tomorrow I'd say, "That's too bad. My condolences to the family" and drop it... not go on about it for weeks on end.

Long distance relative? Really? I can't tell if you're being serious. If he was ACTUALLY a relative of yours then so be it, I definitely understand your pain... but I'm assuming likely not, he was just some guy that played good basketball, and was retired. If it had been some random guy on Kobe's team during that Championship era would you have the same reaction? Regardless, that's not my point anyway...

My point is:
Look I have sympathy for anyone that passes (especially when young, if you're much older (70+) it's your time.. time to check out, can't live forever).... but the media making this big of a fucking deal out of it, give me a break. It was a tragic accident, he died.. so be it. Let's move on? We've had 2 weeks of non-stop media reports on this crap.. good lord. You'd think there was an accusation that the Russians hacked the helicopter at this point.
I understand your point and you are entitled to your opinion.

There are pro, and anti , Kobe death threats all over this board.

We don't go into the anti, rapist threads and tell them how they should feel or how much coverage is overkill.

Plus, sports fandom isn't always based on logic.

Big part of it is emotional. So, it's kinda shitty to poke fun at people who feel a sense of loss, even if we didn't actually know the guy.

I remember being sick to my fucking stomach when Robin Williams died.

His shows, movies were a big part of some of the happy memories of my childhood.

Didn't know him. Still felt his loss.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your point and you are entitled to your opinion.

There are pro, and anti , Kobe death threats all over this board.

We don't go into the anti, rapist threads and tell them how they should feel or how much coverage is overkill.

Plus, sports fandom isn't always based on logic.

Big part of it is emotional. So, it's kinda shitty to poke fun at people who feel a sense of loss, even if we didn't actually know the guy.

I remember being sick to my fucking stomach when Robin Williams died.

His shows, movies were a big part of some of the happy memories of my childhood.

Didn't know him. Still felt his loss.

Not sure I understand your first couple sentences... this thread is clearly about the news aspect of it. I'm not trolling in a "Terrible loss for Kobe" or "Kobe was a terrible person anyway" thread.

I'm not poking fun at someone who feels a sense of loss from a person they never knew personally, it's not something I really understand though. I do get maybe that person was an inspiration to your family or brought your family together, so there's that. Everyone grieves in different ways.

To me it's more annoying that the media is exploiting his death for views and ratings. Kobe Bryant (and others) are dead. If people wish to grieve for long periods of time, that's fine. But let's stop exploiting that through the media, good lord. People die all the time, we don't see them plastered non-stop on the media for 2+ (and likely to be more) weeks on end.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I understand your first couple sentences... this thread is clearly about the news aspect of it. I'm not trolling in a "Terrible loss for Kobe" or "Kobe was a terrible person anyway" thread.

I'm not poking fun at someone who feels a sense of loss from a person they never knew personally, it's not something I really understand though. I do get maybe that person was an inspiration to your family or brought your family together, so there's that. Everyone grieves in different ways.

To me it's more annoying that the media is exploiting his death for views and ratings. Kobe Bryant (and others) are dead. If people wish to grieve for long periods of time, that's fine. But let's stop exploiting that through the media, good lord. People die all the time, we don't see them plastered non-stop on the media for 2+ (and likely to be more) weeks on end.
The first few sentences were in re: to @bksballer89 response.

If it bothers you, why willing come into the threads?

I personally felt overwhelmed by the coverage. It was everywhere..

So, I stayed off the internet, ESPN, CNN et al, and watched Disney plus.

You are willingly subjecting yourself to it.

I didn't read thru the thread. So, I can't say if you are trolling or not.

But, that isn't what I was suggesting. Like I said, you are entitled to your opinion.

As for not understanding others emotions....

Comprehension isn't a requirement for acceptance.

The why doesn't matter.

...again... That's how I feel. I don't get to force my belief system, nor feelings, on you.

...and, vice versa.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first few sentences were in re: to @bksballer89 response.

If it bothers you, why willing come into the threads?

You are willingly subjecting yourself to it.

I didn't read thru the thread. So, I can't say if you are trolling or not.

But, that isn't what I was suggesting. Like I said, you are entitled to your opinion.

As for not understanding others emotions....

Comprehension isn't a requirement for acceptance.

The why doesn't matter.

...again... That's how I feel. I don't get to force my belief system, nor feelings, on you.

...and, vice versa.

Ah I think we're on the same page. I came into the thread to voice an opinion and see if anyone else is tired of it. I really didn't read through the rest of the thread either.

Also to your comment "As for not understanding others emotion...." As I clearly said in the post you're quoting by saying: I do get maybe that person was an inspiration to your family or brought your family together, so there's that. Everyone grieves in different ways.

And I don't have a problem with a forum thread, I'm talking about the media (as my last paragraph clearly states). I'm not willingly subjecting myself to it when I turn on the news, go to a sports site for info/data on current ACTIVE teams/players, etc. and this story is still plastered everywhere. Yes I can pause the video, or ignore the article, or change the channel, but it's still annoying.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ha, me too. Caught up with all the MCU movies.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah I think we're on the same page. I came into the thread to voice an opinion and see if anyone else is tired of it. I really didn't read through the rest of the thread either.

Also to your comment "As for not understanding others emotion...." As I clearly said in the post you're quoting by saying: I do get maybe that person was an inspiration to your family or brought your family together, so there's that. Everyone grieves in different ways.

And I don't have a problem with a forum thread, I'm talking about the media (as my last paragraph clearly states). I'm not willingly subjecting myself to it when I turn on the news, go to a sports site for info/data on current ACTIVE teams/players, etc. and this story is still plastered everywhere. Yes I can pause the video, or ignore the article, or change the channel, but it's still annoying.
Yup.

I would like to have the coverage dialed back.

But, for a different reason.

I have a 13 year old daughter and that shit tore at my heart. Plus, made me feel very mortal.

The whole story just brings me overwhelming sadness for all lives lost.

Who wants to be in a state of grief for 2 weeks?

So, I avoid it all.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/02/07/kobe-bryant-memorial-service-staples-center/

A public memorial service for Kobe Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, will be held at Los Angeles’s Staples Center on Feb. 24, according to a post on Vanessa Bryant’s Instagram account.

"
Verified
#2, #24, #20 years as a Laker and the amount of years Kob and I were together ❤️❤️ "

The numerology is chilling.They picked the date for it to line up with their jerseys, but Vanessa and Kobe were together 20 years as well? Like wow.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other seven people killed in the helicopter crash were Christina Mauser, one of Bryant’s assistant coaches for his Mamba Academy girls’ basketball team; John Altobelli, a successful college baseball coach; his wife, Keri, and their daughter, Alyssa; Sarah Chester and her daughter, Payton; and the pilot, Ara Zobayan.

A public memorial service for the Altobellis is set for 4 p.m. Feb. 10 at Angel Stadium, the American League baseball team’s home in Anaheim. It is open to the public.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"
Verified
#2, #24, #20 years as a Laker and the amount of years Kob and I were together ❤️❤️ "

The numerology is chilling.They picked the date for it to line up with their jerseys, but Vanessa and Kobe were together 20 years as well? Like wow.
Dude, I was watching the Princess Diana and Jackie Kennedy documentaries last week and I had a totally premature, inappropriate thought...

Like those two ladies, Vanessa will have to relocate if she ever chose to move on, romantically.

It just would not be accepted in California.

Weird, I know.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hate to break this too you, so I will say it in a gentle way. Absolutely no one in here gives a shit what you think, like or hate about this discussion. You dont own the message board, you dont own this topic and being a free forum the rest of us can talk about anything we so desire, so its to your advantage to walk away from the topic we intend continue talking about. In short if you dont like it,. tough shit

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to break this too you, so I will say it in a gentle way. Absolutely no one in here gives a shit what you think, like or hate about this discussion. You dont own the message board, you dont own this topic and being a free forum the rest of us can talk about anything we so desire, so its to your advantage to walk away from the topic we intend continue talking about. In short if you dont like it,. tough shit

Are you drunk or something? I'm not saying nobody can talk about it. It annoys me the media seems to be exploiting the F out of it, that's really all I said. If people are upset or sad by it, that's fine, and they should be able to voice it. I never called anyone names or accused anyone of something... I said I don't understand it and some folks replied with intelligent posts clarifying why, which I respect.

"You don't own the messageboard." Dude... seek therapy. I'll even donate some to your um... cause.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you drunk or something? I'm not saying nobody can talk about it. It annoys me the media seems to be exploiting the F out of it, that's really all I said. If people are upset or sad by it, that's fine, and they should be able to voice it. I never called anyone names or accused anyone of something... I said I don't understand it and some folks replied with intelligent posts clarifying why, which I respect.

"You don't own the messageboard." Dude... seek therapy. I'll even donate some to your um... cause.
Then turn the tv off, Its a free country and they will quit talking when people quit listening

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a free country, the media and talk about anything they want to. They are talking about Kobe because there is a demand by the listeners to know whats going on